Expanding/Hiding text/images.

I had a question, would there be anyway to implement such a system, where you click a button and previously hidden text/images/videos whatever expanded?

I ask this because it would definitely help with the amount of space one post takes up per page when doing lots of quotes, or posting images and videos, and long rants, etc.

Here's an example:

Worldoftanks uses this on their forums, I quite like it. (Going to put the two modes within lines, so you can see the differences more easily)

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....nd-gun-values/

Hidden:

Older table archive
    Spoiler

Expanded:

Older table archive
    Spoiler

The bolded Spoiler part is actually a button (But it doesn't copy over very well), which when clicked expands what had been hidden, and when clicked again it hides it.

Now, I think this would be a valuable addition to the forum for help with post size, and possibly to help with organising points in posts.

Is there any chance of something like this being implemented, or does the website platform not support such a thing?
    Last edited by xxxdeletexxx; 2013-04-17 at 01:58 AM.

So you're basically asking for spoiler tags?

I dig spoiler tags.
    Hey, remember when I dropped my keys and you thought the phone was ringing?

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    We have a tag that blacks out text. It's not as fancy as the collapse show/hide but it's something.

[spoiler ]minus bonus spaces[ /spoiler]
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

I believe at one point it was brought up to be a click and expand type of spoiler tag.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE is the current spoiler tag set up where you can just click the black out and it'd reveal or just highlight it.

I think the main issue with the spoiler tag in hide / expand was that it would make it really annoying clicking every single one, for example in the funny picture thread or video threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    So you're basically asking for spoiler tags?

I dig spoiler tags.
    Yep pretty much! (But I don't want the current one to go away, just maybe have the option of using either)

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    We have a tag that blacks out text. It's not as fancy as the collapse show/hide but it's something.

[spoiler ]minus bonus spaces[ /spoiler]
    I was just curious if something like the collapse show/hide function could be implemented, I believe it could have some very good uses on this forum. (Especially in threads where people need supporting data for their conclusions).

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I believe at one point it was brought up to be a click and expand type of spoiler tag.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE is the current spoiler tag set up where you can just click the black out and it'd reveal or just highlight it.

I think the main issue with the spoiler tag in hide / expand was that it would make it really annoying clicking every single one, for example in the funny picture thread or video threads.
    True, but people aren't required to use it, the tool would just help reduce page space taken up per post, or at least the amount of scrolling others would have to do.
    Last edited by xxxdeletexxx; 2013-04-17 at 02:19 AM.

Constructive bumping and stuffs.

We're thinking along those lines, not "spam usage", but if you have a large chunk of text, allowing people to skip over it via the collapsible box would be preferable to having them have to scroll past it however many times they navigate the page.

The best we've managed to come up with so far is:

[thickbox=http://www.speedtest.net/result/2650382843.png]Testing it[/thickbox]

Which obviously only works for images.

We're not so much after replacing the existing spoiler tag as we are implementing this one alongside, so people (us) can choose to use it if we so wish.

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's still what we have to do today with the spoiler tags isn't it? Only difference is that spoiler tags actually take up the same space as the entire message would were it not spoiler tagged + it looks fugly as shit
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    That's still what we have to do today with the spoiler tags isn't it? Only difference is that spoiler tags actually take up the same space as the entire message would were it not spoiler tagged + it looks fugly as shit
    I just use Ctrl-A. >.>

The main issue I have with this is when images under those tags expand too far and force a scroll bar to the right. I frequent a forum where this is used too, and it annoys me more than anything.

If it were a possibility, I would recommend our current image size rules stay in place.

General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The main issue I have with this is when images under those tags expand too far and force a scroll bar to the right. I frequent a forum where this is used too, and it annoys me more than anything.

If it were a possibility, I would recommend our current image size rules stay in place.
    Can't you put a coded limitation to the maximum size an image will display in to avoid this problem? Like we can't post plain images above 800x800(for example), the forum will automatically covert images bigger than that to the maximum allowed size, in this case 800x800?
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

Displaying images at all inside of a spoiler causes issues beyond just scrollbars. One of the nicer parts about the way our implemented spoiler tags work is that they break any code inside of them, so people can't use them to hide shock images or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Displaying images at all inside of a spoiler causes issues beyond just scrollbars. One of the nicer parts about the way our implemented spoiler tags work is that they break any code inside of them, so people can't use them to hide shock images or whatever.
    (they still hide links though)

General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

True, but wouldn't posting a shock image be an automatic infraction? (especially one hidden within a spoiler)

(Unless it was linked to and said, shock image? Sort of how NSFW links are alright so long as they are labeled right now [I think])

So I don't see much incentive for posters to post them, since they'd be infracted for it. (Of course there are trolls, but they usually get dealt with swiftly anyways).

---------- Post added 2013-04-16 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Perfectly fine! I don't see a reason why the image rules wouldn't stay in place.
    Last edited by xxxdeletexxx; 2013-04-17 at 03:52 AM.

Shock images would be an infraction?

I can see how people could potentially abuse it, but I think the benefits it could provide to the users that would use it, outweigh the potential downsides that those who may abuse it would provide.

Also, we're not talking about replacing the current spoiler tag. Edit the code to be a [spoil] tag or something, so both can be run. There's almost no real downsides too it. People who use it for posting images would likely be the ones already posting images, but it'd be quicker to scroll through pages of images.

(and it's optional anyway, so some people may never use it, whereas some of us, when posting large text etc, may opt too)

I think I had something else in my brain to type too, but I forgetted.

Ooh, I remembered, yeah, image size restrictions should be maintained too of course, figured that would be a given