Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    English is by far simplest language I know. (I know 3 different)

Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    Anyone who says English isn't a terrible and difficult language, most probably does not speak any other languages at all and most probably has never studied any either.
    Definately. Whenever I see someone suggesting that english actually isnt a pig of a language I am forced to assume it is the only one they have any experience in.

The massive number of exceptions, inconsistencies, odd spellings/pronounciations... It is awesome being a native speaker and not having to learn it later in life haha.

Only gripe i have with english is that it is not phonetic. You expect people to know the pronounciation of every words. You read the same letter in many different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    English is by far simplest language I know. (I know 3 different)
    It's easy to speak, but goddamn is writing it a mess.

It also relies very heavily on context for definitions. Soooo many homonyms.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

English is pretty dumb.

American on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    English is pretty dumb.

American on the other hand...
    Must...not...rise...to...bait...

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. I like my own mother tongue because it is so beautifully fucked up <3

Norwegian: Ascribing sexes to nouns, but still having sex-less nouns. Just to mess with immigrants :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Norganon View Post
    Please, there isn't a language worse than Dutch.
    Chinese...
    He got a toxic dose of blight back in the day, and now he's deaf, blind, and mostly numb.

Thread seem like not good excuse for being not good at english language. Me think so at the little amount of all possible things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... whatevs... At least we don't have to know if cars, apples, rocks and sheets of paper are masculine or feminine in order to discuss them properly...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't find English particularly difficult.

Pending "rules," you just have to memorize things.

Though if the internet has taught me anything, it's that "loose" and "lose" are apparently the two most difficult words in the English language to distinguish from one another.

Loose
    moose
    goose
    caboose

It's not that hard to remember....
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

English is analytic language. That means a lot of semantics of sentences delegated to syntactic structures and a LOT of ambiguity due to different possible structures, think of famous "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo". With time and practice people learn to unconsciously weight possibilities and have no problems with understanding the right meaning, but it could be a disaster for new learners.

Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    Anyone who says English isn't a terrible and difficult language, most probably does not speak any other languages at all and most probably has never studied any either.
    I disagree, I've had English, French and Spanish at my school and English was by far the easiest to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Though if the internet has taught me anything, it's that "loose" and "lose" are apparently the two most difficult words in the English language to distinguish from one another.

Loose
    moose
    goose
    caboose

It's not that hard to remember....
    I'm trying to think of a word... I don't know which to choose. Oh, "choose" will do. Fuck you, English. (hint: it rhymes with lose, not loose).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    I disagree, I've had English, French and Spanish at my school and English was by far the easiest to learn.
    out of the three which of them were you more interested in learning. if its english that there is the reason
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

10+ Year Old Account
    English is the easiest language to learn, IMO. I know 4 other languages not counting English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm trying to think of a word... I don't know which to choose. Oh, "choose" will do. Fuck you, English. (hint: it rhymes with lose, not loose).
    Well, think of the past tense "chose"

Hose
    Rose
    pose
    prose
    nose
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well, think of the past tense "chose"
    Mmhmm, yet, chose doesn't rhyme with lose.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    out of the three which of them were you more interested in learning. if its english that there is the reason
    Or maybe I lost interest because they were so much harder to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    'Sugar' comes from the Italian 'Sugo' which comes from the Latin singular 'Sūcus' which figuratively means 'energy' but which itself is derived from the Latin 'zucchero'. A large majority of European languages descend Sūcus into 'Suc', 'Suco' or 'Succo' but Spanish descends it as 'Jugo'. 'Zucchero' derived down into 'zuccarum', became 'cucre' in french, which became 'suker' in English which was derived into 'sugar' in the 13th century. Descending and translating from 'zucchero' over the years has lead to 'sucre', 'súkkar', 'šekar', and similar words for various languages in Persia, India and such places.
    Wrong way around. The word Sugar ultimately stems from the Sanskrit sarkara, then the Persian shekar, and then Arabic sukkar. Zucchero
    is the Italian corruption of the Arabic sukkar.

English is a language based upon Nordics, and Central European languages which are based upon Latin. Many of our words have their hearts in Latin but the descending and translating into Italian and German in particular really directed our language and why native English speakers can pronounce a wide range of sounds with ease (compared to some other countries). Nordic languages mixed into those middle European languages prior to them being taken in by the English language made the words themselves evolve and so realistically English is heavily mangled Latin but with a strong Nordic influence.
    English stems from two primary sources; Aenglisc, the Germanic language spoken by the Anglo-Saxons, and Norman French. The vast majority of words that ultimately stem from Latin are in fact French in origin.

Such evolutions in language were brought about by invasions or occupations of countries, or by migration which got carried on by later invasions, occupation or migration. This is one reason that English is such a global language. It's not the most spoken language (Mandarin takes that spot, and that's got 4 different tones for every word), but it comes in a comfortable second place. It's is however, the official language for more countries than any other.
    English' spread as a global language and its evolution as a language are not the same phenomenon. English as we know is the product of two changes; first, those brought by the Norman Invasion which established French as the language of the aristocracy, and then the "Great Vowel Shift" between the 14th and 18th centuries when French influences at the English court became more democratized amongst the local population.

---------- Post added 2013-04-16 at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    English is the easiest language to learn, IMO. I know 4 other languages not counting English.
    Having taught ESL students, English is actually one of the most difficult languages to learn given that it has little in the way of consistent grammatical rules, an abundance of homonyms and false-friends, and an aphonetic script.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.