Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    English is also easier to learn because popular culture is mainly in English.

Music, TV, movies, games. I'm betting there are more French/Spanish people installing their games in English than native english speakers installing theirs in french/spanish :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yup.

Sorry, non-native speakers. My language sucks.
    The words stop looking like words...
    Torture with torturous torturing tortures... how torturing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Mmhmm, yet, chose doesn't rhyme with lose.
    Derp. I wasn't thinking.

I think I intended to put in "lose" to "lost" to tie it in with the short "o" sound.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Derp. I wasn't thinking.

I think I intended to put in "lose" to "lost" to tie it in with the short "o" sound.
    Anyway... that's why I've decided, at least for informal internet things, I really don't care if people use proper English. If I can understand it, good enough.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

English is the easiest language on the earth to learn. It's abused profoundly also yet always easy to understand even if you got Hick mcGee from Imbredville telling you a story about how them aliens abducted his truck-boat-truck.

Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    mild case of dyslexia, thanks for reminding me
    You forgot you had dyslexia?

I'm terrible with all languages especially english.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    Anyone who says English isn't a terrible and difficult language, most probably does not speak any other languages at all and most probably has never studied any either.
    Well English is like the hardest language to learn and is tough on meany none native speakers.

But I think its the best as its vary adaptable. Ty for English, England.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    English wasn't designed, it evolved

English is extremely easy to learn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    English is extremely easy to learn.
    Exactly what I was about to write. I'm surprised people really complain about ENGLISH, one of the more simple languages.

Deleted
    Anyone who says English isn't a terrible and difficult language, most probably does not speak any other languages at all and most probably has never studied any either.
    Can't say that I have studied the English language, but my native language is Swedish and I far prefer English. To me it both feels and sounds a lot better.

Its okay guys, most of the non native English speakers on this forum can read/write and speak English better than English people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

S'all about that Cantonese.

So...? Every language has really weird exceptions and rules. It will seem especially so if it isn't your native language. I've studied a little bit of Latin, Spanish, German, Korean, and Japanese. All of them have rules and exceptions that don't make any sense. I'm trying hard to understand why you would single out English alone, but I can't think of any real reason. It's just as bad and/or good as others. Most languages seem more troublesome than they are when you're not a native speaker.... Maybe I'm just missing the point?

I'd say English has more exceptions than rules. My first language is Spanish, and I think English (especially writing) has certain advantages. Like, you can put words together in English without some extra details that would be required in Spanish, making some written things shorter in English. Like, idk, "fire shield" would be "escudo de fuego" in Spanish. Enough stuff like that in one sentence, and you'll end up with a long-ass sentence.

But for learning how to pronounce things, I find Spanish easier, because it's very phonetic. Even if you don't know the word, since letters sound the same (with a few exceptions, like C changing to an S sound when followed by an I or an E), you will still pronounce it properly once you know what each letter is supposed to sound like, because their sound doesn't change in Spanish (the letter "I" will always sound like "ee" no matter what, for example). On the other hand, English seems to be more about experience with the language. If I see a word I've never seen before, I won't instantly know how it's supposed to be pronounced. I could take a guess, but I could be wrong. Like, if I had never seen "blood" before, I'd have no reason to think that it's pronounced much different from "brood" or "hood" or "mood".

Luckily, I'm very experienced with English, so I don't have much of an issue with it, but I can see why other non-native speakers have such a big problem learning it.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Deleted
    English is by far easier than French and German.
    Might be because I was born with an affinity for English and could properly speak the language by the age of 7.
    I'm Dutch and I've lived in The Netherlands my whole life btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    English is by far easier than French and German.
    Might be because I was born with an affinity for English and could properly speak the language by the age of 7.
    I'm Dutch and I've lived in The Netherlands my whole life btw.
    I'm a native English speaker and I found French a lot easier to learn because its grammatical rules are quite consistent; really the only major irregularity in French is the conjugation of certain verbs like avoir, faire, aller, etc.

I'd really like to know why boire is irregular but manger is regular, though. -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The only rule of English is that you don't talk about English.

Well, sometimes I speak English better than my native language Norwegian. Mostly because I spend so much time on chats/skype with friends all over the world.

The thing about English, and the reason it's so "easy", is the fact that most people use it everyday. (Atleast us here, as it's a gaming forum) Thus it become easy.

But that dosnt mean you are good at it, my understanding of the language is most likely very good, but if I was asked to write a complex English novel... That would suddenly get troublesom.
    We dont use all the words in the English dictionary while playing video games, or heck - even when we learn English at school (Atleast in Norway, all my teachers have been worse than me.. Atleast in the oral part).

So yeah - English is a easy language, but a hard language to master. As many of the previous examples here, so many words are written just the same, but yet mean something completly different. I will take the lead when I get the lead out, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Learning english was a PITA, every rule has exceptions. I before E except after C, except a crapton of individual cases which actually end up outnumbering the rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.