Question Hello fellow gamers and Batman geeks.

Hi.

I've been tempted to pick up Batman: Arkham City lately but I understand that it is a sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum. My question is if

Asylum still holds up today compared to City and other open world games today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaise1 View Post
    Hi.

I've been tempted to pick up Batman: Arkham City lately but I understand that it is a sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum. My question is if

Asylum still holds up today compared to City and other open world games today?
    You should most definitely play both, and although City is obviously more refined and polished, they are both excellent. The worlds aren't as open as say Assassin's Creed however, it's closer to the way the new Tomb Raider is organised.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Asylum is a billion times better than City. Better story, better place, much creepier and so on and so forth.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Asylum has alot more (and better IMO) set pieces, but the combat system in City is just the perfection of the almost perfect Asylum I have to give it the higher marks. There are less stealth pieces in City too which I appreciate since I thought they were thrown in too much (they reminded me of the enemy spawns in PoP: Sands of Time, just there to increase playtime).

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    You should most definitely play both, and although City is obviously more refined and polished, they are both excellent. The worlds aren't as open as say Assassin's Creed however, it's closer to the way the new Tomb Raider is organised.
    How dependent is City on Asylum storywise? If I play City will I encounter "spots" in the story where I wont have a clue what they are talking about etc?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    How dependent is City on Asylum storywise? If I play City will I encounter "spots" in the story where I wont have a clue what they are talking about etc?
    There's the whole Joker thing and a lot og Easter eggs and cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    There's the whole Joker thing and a lot og Easter eggs and cameos.
    Hmm, ok thanks. I will take that in to consideration.

Just play both. You're missing out otherwise.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, ok thanks. I will take that in to consideration.
    Also, the story in City is not very good, it's rushed, silly and too much and the very idea behind Arkham City is moronic. I'd gladly expand, but that would spoil a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Also, the story in City is not very good, it's rushed, silly and too much and the very idea behind Arkham City is moronic. I'd gladly expand, but that would spoil a lot.
    Counterpoint: The story in City is awesome, harkening back to the No Man's Land arc from the comics.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would just vouch in to the general consensus here.

Both games was one the Games of the year list in their respective year. You can OFC play them individually, but I would recommend that you play both of these great games.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't in a rush, wait for the steam summer sale to see if you can get the franchise pack for a good deal. I managed to pick up both games with all DLC for $25 or $30 (can't remember) last summer sale. I had already played both games, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. The DLC isn't worth it to buy full price, but when bundled in a deal really fleshes out the replayability of City.

Getting Catwoman's additional stuff on top of all the costumes/characters for continued play is awesome.
    BAD WOLF

Why on earth would you not play Asylum? It is damn incredible, and the entire story premise of Arkham City is a direct cause of the Arkham Asylum's plot.

You really ought to get Asylum, then definately get City after that.

Play Asylum first. It is by no means an old game, and it is hardly dated compared to City. They're both great games. I personally liked Asylum better.

Deleted
    I played City. Its probably the only Single player game on PC I liked enough to complete. Never played Asylum (think I might do now though) and never at any point thought I was missing out on any back-story.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion City is better than Asylum, but that's a far stretch from saying Asylum is bad. Both are excellent games and 2 of the games I refused to trade back in. I would recommend playing Asylum first though, primarily because City can feel overwhelming at times due to the severity of the story and the size of the City.