10+ Year Old Account

Video Card Dilemma

Having a hard time deciding between two cards, and would like some opinions to help.

PC specs:

Intel Xeon 1260L @2.5ghz (4c/8t)
    8gb 1333mhz CL9 ram
    XFX HD 6770 @980/1340
    Kingston HyperX 120gb
    FSP300-60GHS PSU
    SG05 case

My 6770 is beginning to not cut it as i upgraded to a 1080p monitor recently. While i can play games fine i have to sacrifice some visuals for it.

I currently play a large variety of games. At one point i'll get back into playing WoW but atm it's mainly; Guild Wars 2, BF3, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, F12012, Need for Speed Shift 2/The Run/Most Wanted, and Dirt 3.

Right now i'm trying to choose between the following cards;

Asus GTX 650 TI boost

and

Sapphire HD 7850

Keep in mind power is a concern, because i live off the power grid. I rely on Solar Panels + a Battery bank and a generator when the sun refuses to come out for more than a day or two.

I'm a little stumped. Power consumption matters and i like to overclock.

Which of these would have the greatest overclock headroom at stock voltages? And would changing voltages exponentially increase power consumption (mostly rhetorical but -how much- is more of the question here)?

Also, from what i've seen, the 7850 generally uses less power than the 650 TI boost, and the 7850 is fairly even with the 650 at stock clocks in performance, in a lot of games.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-04-17 at 08:48 AM.

Deleted
    this is what i've found on the power usage from both cards on alternate tech speccs.

650Ti boost (SC);
    Aansluitingen
    6-pin PCIe
    Max. Verbruik
    115 Watt
    Max. toegestane verbruik (PowerTune limiet)
    134 Watt

7850 (OC sapphire one)
    Aansluitingen
    6-pin PCIe
    Max. Verbruik
    150 Watt
    Idle verbruik (2D/Desktop)
    12 Watt
    Verbruik Lang-idle (Display uit)
    3 Watt

i'd pick the 650Ti boost if power is the main focus together with blizzard games. (although both cards are likely mostly limited by cpu clocks, won't be much though)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry about that i put what games i play in the OP now. Forgot to add that .

Also, i think those are peak values rather than averages. Peak usually isn't much of a problem in the grand scheme of overall power consumption.

is that 650 TI boost the EVGA superclocked one? because i believe they increased voltages for that particular one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Sorry about that i put what games i play in the OP now. Forgot to add that .

Also, i think those are peak values rather than averages. Peak usually isn't much of a problem in the grand scheme of overall power consumption.

is that 650 TI boost the EVGA superclocked one? because i believe they increased voltages for that particular one.
    well the 7850 having a requirement of 2x 6pins for power kinda gives away that under normal loads it uses more power.
    stock cards don't come with voltage tweaks iirc. (not even if factory overclocked)
    best they usually have is a minor voltage tune option to get to 1,2V peaks for nvidia cards and i think it's similar for AMD cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well the 7850 having a requirement of 2x 6pins for power kinda gives away that under normal loads it uses more power.
    stock cards don't come with voltage tweaks iirc. (not even if factory overclocked)
    best they usually have is a minor voltage tune option to get to 1,2V peaks for nvidia cards and i think it's similar for AMD cards.
    The particular 7850 i linked only requires 1 6 pin connector.

GTX 650 TI boost techpowerup

theres some more power consumption numbers for the 650 TI boost. The 7850 is there too but i have a feeling that's reference, but still a potential reference point.

650 TI boost Anandtech

The difference seems to reflect on anandtechs as well.

this is a bit confusing as these reviews seem to contradict what you linked.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-04-17 at 09:19 AM.

Deleted
    turns out i linked the speccs for the 7850 1Gb Vram version
    still they seem to be using pretty similar wattage for load. (unless the +- average 10W difference is worth it for the performance loss)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    turns out i linked the speccs for the 7850 1Gb Vram version
    still they seem to be using pretty similar wattage for load. (unless the +- average 10W difference is worth it for the performance loss)
    They are, but while the 7850 is a little slower in some games, wouldn't it's overclocking headroom pull it ahead of the 650 TI boost, even overclocked?

I mean, i'm just trying to get an idea here, i don't mean to argue, i'd just like a second opinion to help me decide :P. Being a broke teenager and all, $170/$185 is a lot, so minimizing loss is a good idea.

I have 0 power issues in the summer, most of my power issues is in the winter where it's snowing all the damn time. So overvolting can allow a dynamic in that respect.

Also, does the 650 TI boost even have voltage control? I haven't been able to get any concrete answers for that.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-04-17 at 09:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    They are, but while the 7850 is a little slower in some games, wouldn't it's overclocking headroom pull it ahead of the 650 TI boost, even overclocked?

I mean, i'm just trying to get an idea here, i don't mean to argue, i'd just like a second opinion to help me decide :P. Being a broke teenager and all, $170/$185 is a lot, so minimizing loss is a good idea.

I have 0 power issues in the summer, most of my power issues is in the winter where it's snowing all the damn time. So overvolting can allow a dynamic in that respect.

Also, does the 650 TI boost even have voltage control? I haven't been able to get any concrete answers for that.
    with flashes bios both can be overclocked pretty far.
    i think stock the voltage control for the 650 is up to 1,2V peaks (+38 offset)
    also pretty sure i've stumbled across a review of all brands for the 650Ti boost. (they had some beastly overclocks on some of those)
    when both cards are overclocked similar i'd still think it would at best make the gap between the cards smaller. (doubt the 7850 would surpass it unless it's heavy oc vs stock orso)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, after reading some Overclocking some people have done to the 650 TI boost i think i'm going to go with that. It was also my original choice and either way both are good cards.

Thanks for the help Shroud.

10+ Year Old Account
    beware of nvidia card atm if you plan to overclock you will be f in the rear end whit green light that is what its happening to me whit my msi 670 pe atm fucking sucks balls

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    beware of nvidia card atm if you plan to overclock you will be f in the rear end whit green light that is what its happening to me whit my msi 670 pe atm fucking sucks balls
    Eh? OCed my 670s fine and same with a 650 I put in my sister's build.

I'd go with the 650 Ti Boost as well.
    CPU - i9 9900k | CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | Motherboard - MSI Z390 Godlike | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | SSD - 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe | PSU - EVGA Supernova 750w P2 |Case - Corsair Air 540

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Eh? OCed my 670s fine and same with a 650 I put in my sister's build.

I'd go with the 650 Ti Boost as well.
    depands wen you got it nvidia put a lock on voltage and a lock on the power target to 114% you can still overclock but it sucks thanks nvidia green light.

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    depands wen you got it nvidia put a lock on voltage and a lock on the power target to 114% you can still overclock but it sucks thanks nvidia green light.
    You just had bad luck in the silicon lottery, my card runs at 1372MHz without the need of voltage modded bios, with voltage mod I can run it a bit higher.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450