10+ Year Old Account

PSOne Classic royalties

So I've been contemplating getting FFVI seeing as I've never played and I think we all know how crazy the internet is for the game, but I've stumbled across a dilemma. I see the game listed as a PSOne classic (even though I don't remember it ever coming out for the PSX) with SCE as the publisher and it had me wondering; who do the royalties go to for games like these? To Square Enix or to Sony? I'm asking because I don't see the point of buying it on their proprietary hardware just so they get the royalties and just might acquire with "other methods".
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

guessing you're talking about from the playstation store.
    it was ported to the ps1. it has shitbad load times though (not as bad as the CT port).
    sony and squaresoft probably split the royalties
    if you have a gba get that version or the Virtual console version for Wii so the load times aren't as terrible

As far as I know, any money that a game makes goes directly to the publisher, who's then at liberty to pay the developer for their time spent making the game, at that time. That, or the developer is paid upfront either before the game's made, or installments during it's production.

After the game's out in the wild, unless there's a bonus payment system, the developer isn't getting any extra money from it. For older games, it's quite possible that the people who worked on that game arn't even in the industy, or even possibly dead.

Let's say you buy Final Fantasy 6 from the Playstaion store. Sony ends up getting a cut (probably the biggest), because they're hosting the download. Square-Enix also get a cut, because they're the publisher. Mr X and Mrs Y who coded for the game, created art or music arn't getting a penny, since they've already been paid. This then means that Sony can offer other games for download, as well as Square-Enix being able to hire more developers to make more games.

Now, some games probably do have some kind of royalty system, but if anything I'm guessing only the lead system programmers, lead artists and game directors are going to see anything from this. I know there was some stupid thing where if a game scored a certain % on metacritic that the developers got a bonus (I think it was Fallout:New Vegas and they missed the score by like 2%), but buying anything "new" after the game has shipped isn't going to be giving money to the people that helped make that game.

You can see why indie developers keep springing up, because they get 100% of the money they make from their games. Nothing goes to a publisher, since they're hosting the games them selves. Sadly you're not going to see any boxed copies, or very few boxed copies of games this way, but most indie games arn't 100 hour epics anyways.

TL;DR - No, the game developers won't see your cash. Also, the PS1 port of Final Fantasy 6 is AWFUL! Don't buy it! It suffers from slowdown and incredibly long loading times. Just loading up a normal over-world battle can take between 10 and 20 seconds, which when you consider the fight's can sometimes be finished in under the time it takes to load, is annoying as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    K, guess I'll do what I was initially planning. Thanks for the responses guys
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"