Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Farewell from Amary

    Link:http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...good-luck.html

    Doesn't specifically say she is leaving/quitting/fired, just that she will no longer be doing patch notes, but what else could that mean. Really odd stuff going on at Trion lately, if it was just the original layoffs, or just 1-2 people that left, it wouldn't be so odd, but it seems like those left at Trion after the layoffs are slowly disappearing one by one.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  2. #2
    Awww. That's a real shame.

    She had a great sense of humor and wrote those notes with a pretty deft hand.

    What a shame.

  3. #3
    Seriously doubt fired. I bet just moving on to something higher paying.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Tarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,640
    For a moment I thought it was Dahanese that had left and I was not going to be disappointed if the rumours are true. Shame to see another known face at Trion go. I wonder if eventually it will just be us players and their voice mail...
    Playing: WoW (11/14HC), BF3
    PC: i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz // GTX 780 // 16GB DDR3 // 750GB Samsung 840 EVO // 3x 27" 1440p
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it. - H. Ford

  5. #5
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,194
    I used to not care about this stuff and show how it doesn't mean anything, which it normally doesn't, but we all know that the content has suffered lately. And on a serious note, I think Defiance is what is going to kill Rift and not Storm Legion. I think we can possibly 100% blame Defiance for what we've experienced.

    The game is a disaster in my eyes. More resources than we know were probably used to develop it and the game is more than sub par. I expect it to go down as a pretty large failure and it's going to take Rift with it. I only say this because the loyal people who have supported Rift since launch are starting to go their own way after the initial period of SL is long gone. I don't expect any of those people to trust Trion to return to their former glory.

    It doesn't help that there are several very anticipated MMOs launching this year and subscriptions are growing less attractive each day. Blah...this isn't a bash post, just a frustrated post. Seems like every MMO I invest heavily in time and money are the ones that end up completely folding rather quickly. Meanwhile all the F2P and B2P MMOs carry on and I can still play them. I guess it's not a bad thing, but it doesn't 'feel' right.
    BAD WOLF

  6. #6
    orrr Amary finished college and got a better job.....wish farewell post were little more clear to keep the doom sayers at bay. Also Defiance is not all that bad.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  7. #7
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Also Defiance is not all that bad.
    It's a subpar game that clearly affected their already successful game. Clearly it's all guessing and opinions, but it's not exactly doing so hot and how convenient that Rift's content has suffered since it became their focus after SL launched. Common sense would tell me trying to launch a video game in time to match with a show on TV, having many many cooks in the kitchen, is going to be something burdensome on any company involved.
    BAD WOLF

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Seriously doubt fired. I bet just moving on to something higher paying.
    Yeah, I bet it wasn't fired either, however, as Kitty said, I'm the same, I don't normally take a person or two leaving as a bad sign, it just happens sometimes. However, it's been a lot lately. That shows one of two things:

    1) People are scared for the future of the company and actively looking for something else.
    2) Trion cannot afford to pay these people what they are worth, or provide worthwhile benefits, so other companies are snatching up the good people.

    As I stated in the initial post, if it was just one or two people it's be one thing, but when you add it all up and then add the slowed down rate of content delivery and the severe lack of any PR on the matter, it just seems like something weird is going on.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's a subpar game that clearly affected their already successful game. Clearly it's all guessing and opinions, but it's not exactly doing so hot and how convenient that Rift's content has suffered since it became their focus after SL launched. Common sense would tell me trying to launch a video game in time to match with a show on TV, having many many cooks in the kitchen, is going to be something burdensome on any company involved.
    No, defiance is doing very well. Just read the forums, they are moving faster then Rift did at launch. I can understand why you might think that it is a sub par game. I agree, it is kinda meh for the first few hours of gameplay. I have been playing Defiance since early alpha, and have at least 8-10 days of game time invested in it, and can tell you without a doubt, that the more you play, the more you will like it. Sure, there isn't much "endgame content", but the core gameplay and shooting/loot mechanics are a blast, and more then make up for it. But, obviously, if you were expecting WoW with guns, you were disappointed. It is a huge, open world cooperative, competitive shooter with a large focus on loot. Please don't say Defiance is bad just because you don't like shooters. It is doing very well, don't listen to the reviewers who cry about the game after only playing for an hour or two.
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, I bet it wasn't fired either, however, as Kitty said, I'm the same, I don't normally take a person or two leaving as a bad sign, it just happens sometimes. However, it's been a lot lately. That shows one of two things:

    1) People are scared for the future of the company and actively looking for something else.
    2) Trion cannot afford to pay these people what they are worth, or provide worthwhile benefits, so other companies are snatching up the good people.

    As I stated in the initial post, if it was just one or two people it's be one thing, but when you add it all up and then add the slowed down rate of content delivery and the severe lack of any PR on the matter, it just seems like something weird is going on.
    I am pretty sure there is a difference between some people moving on and what happened to Bioware for example. I played Aion..when you see me start screaming fire about the game dying, then go ahead and take that as a hint.

    It has not been some bleed of players, but the fact is other games are out there and people are playing them while waiting for 2.3..Alot of people still have active subscriptions, but are doing more then one thing.
    Last edited by Puremallace; 2013-04-17 at 09:25 PM.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  11. #11
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    *snip*
    So yeah, apparently without knowing anything about me or how I play games, you can tell me that I expected WoW with guns and I don't like shooters.

    Hrm..I'd love to see the data you analyzed to come up with those gems. Brb, going to uninstall Firefall and BF3 because I just realized I don't like shooters.
    BAD WOLF

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I used to not care about this stuff and show how it doesn't mean anything, which it normally doesn't, but we all know that the content has suffered lately. And on a serious note, I think Defiance is what is going to kill Rift and not Storm Legion. I think we can possibly 100% blame Defiance for what we've experienced.

    The game is a disaster in my eyes. More resources than we know were probably used to develop it and the game is more than sub par. I expect it to go down as a pretty large failure and it's going to take Rift with it. I only say this because the loyal people who have supported Rift since launch are starting to go their own way after the initial period of SL is long gone. I don't expect any of those people to trust Trion to return to their former glory.

    It doesn't help that there are several very anticipated MMOs launching this year and subscriptions are growing less attractive each day. Blah...this isn't a bash post, just a frustrated post. Seems like every MMO I invest heavily in time and money are the ones that end up completely folding rather quickly. Meanwhile all the F2P and B2P MMOs carry on and I can still play them. I guess it's not a bad thing, but it doesn't 'feel' right.
    Yeah imo it was a huge mistake for Trion to take money and people away from a proven success *Rift* And put it into Defiance. Now I hope you are wrong about Defiance failing . I am hoping it does well so they can invest some money back into Rift hire more people and stuff. I still have hope for Rifts future but if 2.3 is a flop that hope is gone. But so far from what I have heard seems they trying to make up an absolutely amazing patch for 2.3. At this point though I don't think many people would accept anything less then really good.
    Last edited by Calliso; 2013-04-17 at 10:13 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I am pretty sure there is a difference between some people moving on and what happened to Bioware for example. I played Aion..when you see me start screaming fire about the game dying, then go ahead and take that as a hint.

    It has not been some bleed of players, but the fact is other games are out there and people are playing them while waiting for 2.3..Alot of people still have active subscriptions, but are doing more then one thing.
    But that's the thing, it's more than just some. Hartsman, Hanlin, Walshingham and now Amary...all with in a few months of layoffs that included 2 Class Devs and several other senior staff members. That's a lot more than "some." With what seems like more leaving every month...and we are only hearing about the big names we know. There could potentially be other, lower people leaving too.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 05:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    I think they realize they really need to give us an absolutely amazing patch at this point.
    I hope they also realize that we are used to 6-8 week content patch cycles and we are sitting on 6 weeks right now....with no PTS testing on 2.3 done.....
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    But that's the thing, it's more than just some. Hartsman, Hanlin, Walshingham and now Amary...all with in a few months of layoffs that included 2 Class Devs and several other senior staff members. That's a lot more than "some." With what seems like more leaving every month...and we are only hearing about the big names we know. There could potentially be other, lower people leaving too.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 05:12 PM ----------



    I hope they also realize that we are used to 6-8 week content patch cycles and we are sitting on 6 weeks right now....with no PTS testing on 2.3 done.....
    Yep not to mention I would argue its been much longer then 6 weeks since the carnival was the major "content" for the last patch and that was a big flop to many I think. So its a been quite awhile since we have gotten some major quality content at least imo.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    Just read the forums, they are moving faster then Rift did at launch.
    As someone playing, this is 100% false. There are tons of issues that aren't being addressed, and unlike Rift, we're not going multiple patches a day to fix things. Consoles are holding the PC client back in a major way. I'm enjoying the game, don't get me wrong, but Rift was higher quality at launch and received far better support.

    Angry Joe's review of it pretty much says everything I was saying to my friends after launch. Defiance isn't "bad", it's just not good either.

    It does feel like they pulled back from Rift since SL launched, especially with the rampup to launch of Defiance.

  16. #16
    Bloodsail Admiral Jaronicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,227
    This is sad news as the patch notes were enjoyable to read .

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I used to not care about this stuff and show how it doesn't mean anything, which it normally doesn't, but we all know that the content has suffered lately. And on a serious note, I think Defiance is what is going to kill Rift and not Storm Legion. I think we can possibly 100% blame Defiance for what we've experienced.

    The game is a disaster in my eyes. More resources than we know were probably used to develop it and the game is more than sub par. I expect it to go down as a pretty large failure and it's going to take Rift with it. I only say this because the loyal people who have supported Rift since launch are starting to go their own way after the initial period of SL is long gone. I don't expect any of those people to trust Trion to return to their former glory.

    It doesn't help that there are several very anticipated MMOs launching this year and subscriptions are growing less attractive each day. Blah...this isn't a bash post, just a frustrated post. Seems like every MMO I invest heavily in time and money are the ones that end up completely folding rather quickly. Meanwhile all the F2P and B2P MMOs carry on and I can still play them. I guess it's not a bad thing, but it doesn't 'feel' right.
    I have noticed you have been very "frustrated" of late haha. I'd even go as far to say since SWTOR started going under last year you've just seemed like an angry person . /bro-hug

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    As someone playing, this is 100% false. There are tons of issues that aren't being addressed, and unlike Rift, we're not going multiple patches a day to fix things. Consoles are holding the PC client back in a major way. I'm enjoying the game, don't get me wrong, but Rift was higher quality at launch and received far better support.

    Angry Joe's review of it pretty much says everything I was saying to my friends after launch. Defiance isn't "bad", it's just not good either.

    It does feel like they pulled back from Rift since SL launched, especially with the rampup to launch of Defiance.
    I meant that it seems there are a lot of people playing the game, just judging off of Forum Activity.

    And I agree, there are a ton of bugs and problems, but those will be fixed with time, and the fact that the core gameplay rocks, is really all that matters IMO.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 11:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    So yeah, apparently without knowing anything about me or how I play games, you can tell me that I expected WoW with guns and I don't like shooters.

    Hrm..I'd love to see the data you analyzed to come up with those gems. Brb, going to uninstall Firefall and BF3 because I just realized I don't like shooters.
    Well, what exactly don't you like about the game then? You were saying its terrible without telling us whats terrible about it :P

    I have noticed that generally, most people that don't like the game, don't play many shooters, and were under the assumption that this game would have more RPG elements, but maybe that wasn't you. So what don't you like?
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    I have noticed that generally, most people that don't like the game, don't play many shooters, and were under the assumption that this game would have more RPG elements, but maybe that wasn't you. So what don't you like?
    As someone who plays Firefall and Warframe... I am into the 3rd person shooter MMO.
    I played two beta weekends of Defiance.

    When you shoot for realism in your graphics, you can run into some serious problems. Now, I won't say more on this because it didn't bother me in particular. There's plenty of other people expanding on that issue.
    The guns were okay. Nothing crazy or unique. There was nothing about any of them that sold me, made me think "Wow! I can't find this in other games."
    There weren't any mechanics I hadn't seen in other games. I couldn't figure out how to use a cover mechanic. I was told that there wasn't one. Not... really sure why? It felt like counterstrike circa 2001. Whereas other games have jetpacks, run + crouch to do knee slides, ect ect ect.
    And then there was the limited ego powers. Not ego perks, but the core powers. I really figured they would go all out with customization of abilities after playing rift but... Both warframe and firefall have more in that department.
    And then there's the main story stuff. The voice acting was not great. The story was tropish. I felt like a seeker droid sent to find diatianium alloy. I was expecting to learn story stuff but everything was "mysterious" and "unknown" so there was no hook there. Could not keep going no matter how much I attempted to will myself.
    The wanna be rifts were just that. Rifts minus the more interesting mechanics. This is just one of the many MMO aspects that was ported over and somehow lost in translation for reasons unknown.

    But back OT.
    Trion, why u let cool peepz go? LOCK DOORS.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I used to not care about this stuff and show how it doesn't mean anything, which it normally doesn't, but we all know that the content has suffered lately. And on a serious note, I think Defiance is what is going to kill Rift and not Storm Legion. I think we can possibly 100% blame Defiance for what we've experienced.

    The game is a disaster in my eyes. More resources than we know were probably used to develop it and the game is more than sub par. I expect it to go down as a pretty large failure and it's going to take Rift with it. I only say this because the loyal people who have supported Rift since launch are starting to go their own way after the initial period of SL is long gone. I don't expect any of those people to trust Trion to return to their former glory.

    It doesn't help that there are several very anticipated MMOs launching this year and subscriptions are growing less attractive each day. Blah...this isn't a bash post, just a frustrated post. Seems like every MMO I invest heavily in time and money are the ones that end up completely folding rather quickly. Meanwhile all the F2P and B2P MMOs carry on and I can still play them. I guess it's not a bad thing, but it doesn't 'feel' right.
    Defiance is an excellent game and the show is pretty solid as well. I'm am more than happy with the $59.99 I spent to pre-order Defiance and would do so again without question. Additionally, the game and show are both doing quite well. The show peaked with ratings of 2.7M viewers giving SyFy it's largest premier in quite a few years.

    As for Rift, 2.3 is shaping up to be the single largest patch ever delivered in Rift's history. It contains, at a minimum:

    1) A new end-game zone: Dendrome
    2) A new type of dynamic content introduced to the game: Strongholds
    3) A new Chronicle
    4) A new expert dungeon
    5) More role slots
    6) A solution for weapon wardrobe

    In addition to all of this, it is speculated with a great amount of supporting ideas that an expansion is being developed in parallel right now that they are trying to get ready for Rift's 3 years anniversary.

    Lastly, as to your comment of "loyal people leaving Rift", I have not had that experience. The population has been steady for quite some time now and I have not noticed any exodus of players.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Synoviarift View Post
    Defiance is an excellent game and the show is pretty solid as well. I'm am more than happy with the $59.99 I spent to pre-order Defiance and would do so again without question. Additionally, the game and show are both doing quite well. The show peaked with ratings of 2.7M viewers giving SyFy it's largest premier in quite a few years.

    As for Rift, 2.3 is shaping up to be the single largest patch ever delivered in Rift's history. It contains, at a minimum:

    1) A new end-game zone: Dendrome
    2) A new type of dynamic content introduced to the game: Strongholds
    3) A new Chronicle
    4) A new expert dungeon
    5) More role slots
    6) A solution for weapon wardrobe

    In addition to all of this, it is speculated with a great amount of supporting ideas that an expansion is being developed in parallel right now that they are trying to get ready for Rift's 3 years anniversary.

    Lastly, as to your comment of "loyal people leaving Rift", I have not had that experience. The population has been steady for quite some time now and I have not noticed any exodus of players.
    Yeah I do agree next patch does look like it will be huge and awesome. I do wonder though just what will Dendrome be like content wise? Will it be like Ember Island with a couple nice long storyline quests with plenty of "side" quests to find. Or will this be another Ashore/Steppes of Infinity with very little storyline and then just some carnages and dailies after that? I mean I am fairly confident that with all the time they have been working on it it will be the first option. However they were also working on Storm Legion for quite awhile as well..

    Yeah I think right now population is holding fairly steady we have enough new players coming in to balance out those leaving. But if Trion wants those people to stay in the long run and if they want to grow the population they need to start improving things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •