Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Holinka on Ret buffs in the future

https://twitter.com/holinka/status/324393512063864833

"I think it requires something new and not a subtle tweak. Which means it could have impact on the rest of the game"

Well, there it is, boys. Admission that Ret needs something for RBG's/arenas and they are thinking of how to fix it, but won't be 5.3. This plus the extra 15% from Sword of Light and I'm a happy Ret, even if it takes a couple patches.

It'll be great, then nerfed in a hot fix right after the patch. Played this game before.

Deleted
    And that is why, as long as you stay true to The Ret, things will be fine. Even if it takes an eternity, you shall not regRET your choice as the ret.

I will live to see these changes and I hope it turns out better than the crap they pulled in the past. But I doubt that's gonna happen, because I think even now they are trying their best to give rets something to compete with the rest.

Wait, this is nothing new?

All they have done is admitted that ret needs something more. They won't implement it yet because it 'could' impact the rest of the game. So what will they do? Put it in the next expansion. Oh guess what also happens in the new expansion? Every other class/spec gains new abilities too.

So, basically, same old story? Next expansion we will gain the tools we needed this expansion. Good to know.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
    Wait, this is nothing new?

All they have done is admitted that ret needs something more. They won't implement it yet because it 'could' impact the rest of the game. So what will they do? Put it in the next expansion. Oh guess what also happens in the new expansion? Every other class/spec gains new abilities too.

So, basically, same old story? Next expansion we will gain the tools we needed this expansion. Good to know.
    Yeaaah, except the implication of "something new" and not a "subtle tweak" doesn't mean being given an extra CC or cooldown, it sounds like they are looking for a unique idea. Also they only said not 5.3, could happen for 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Yeaaah, except the implication of "something new" and not a "subtle tweak" doesn't mean being given an extra CC or cooldown, it sounds like they are looking for a unique idea. Also they only said not 5.3, could happen for 5.4.
    Any major changes to how a class/spec plays are slated for expansions, because they don't want to force people to relearn a spec mid-expansion. Forcing you to learn another spec by nerfing a spec into the ground is perfectly fine, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Any major changes to how a class/spec plays are slated for expansions, because they don't want to force people to relearn a spec mid-expansion. Forcing you to learn another spec by nerfing a spec into the ground is perfectly fine, however.
    Because a utility cooldown requires relearning to play Ret? Storm, Earth and Fire was added mid-xpac. WW mastery was completely changed. Ring of Peace was added mid-xpac. A lot of things can be added mid-expac that change PvP gameplay and how classes work. I understand monks are a new class, but just because he said it won't be available for 5.3 doesn't mean it is next expac.

Because a utility cooldown requires relearning to play Ret? Storm, Earth and Fire was added mid-xpac. WW mastery was completely changed. Ring of Peace was added mid-xpac. A lot of things can be added mid-expac that change PvP gameplay and how classes work. I understand monks are a new class, but just because he said it won't be available for 5.3 doesn't mean it is next expac.
    It depends on what form they introduce the "something new", and the impact it has on how ret is played. And, as seen with Death Knights (where in 3.0.8 they made vast changes and completely overhauled them in 3.1), new classes are somewhat exempt from the "no changes that make you relearn your spec" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

It's nice to get hopes up.

But the facts are pretty clear. Major change = expansion. Expansion = new stuff for everyone. Every expansion ret has got left behind due to only just getting the things it needed for the previous expansion while everyone else gets something new... interrupt, snare etc.

Its great to be optimistic but a lot of us know deep down that nothing great will happen...it just cant...ret + blizzard = joke. It would be brilliant if blizzard finally ended this streak, but I don't see it somehow.

Besides, if it gets the okay for 5.4, its not going to be that big to suddenly make us wanted in rbgs, if it is...then it will be in 6.0, which is too late as always >.<

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
    It's nice to get hopes up.

But the facts are pretty clear. Major change = expansion. Expansion = new stuff for everyone. Every expansion ret has got left behind due to only just getting the things it needed for the previous expansion while everyone else gets something new... interrupt, snare etc.

Its great to be optimistic but a lot of us know deep down that nothing great will happen...it just cant...ret + blizzard = joke. It would be brilliant if blizzard finally ended this streak, but I don't see it somehow.

Besides, if it gets the okay for 5.4, its not going to be that big to suddenly make us wanted in rbgs, if it is...then it will be in 6.0, which is too late as always >.<
    I have a much better feeling about this Holinka guy, though. Since they hired him they've had a pretty close eye on PvP. Just hope they can pull through and help historically neutered specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope we see a significant ret buff in the future patches...the day that comes is the day I will drop to my knees and thank the WoW gods.

Although they are still very fun to play, I just can't bring myself to even get PvP gear this expansion for my retadin so far. Hopefully that changes soon!

Any other spec besides Ret would've had SoL buff hotfixed instantly. I wouldn't be surprised if that quote was written in invisible ink, another case of dangling that carrot on stick trying to keep people subbed with fictional quotes.

The spec needs a game breaking ability, fortunately for Ret we only have to wait til next xpac to get it, in the meantime they will work on giving 5 other specs an easy way to counter this "gamebreaker".

10+ Year Old Account
    How about they make ES a debuff like censure again...no more dispelling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Holinka looks like he's actually trying to do what's good for the players which is good. Depends how much sway he has in these kinds of decisions, though. I hope he has a lot.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Still wouldn't really like ES. Damage is way too predictable.

Me too Reith. I honestly think they are starting to listen to him and feedback more and more, so I hope they really find something.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Meh, it's still a big, shiny "hey look out, damage incoming in t-minus 10 seconds" effect. On a 1-min CD.

Vs.

Holy Prism, with a GCD that scales with haste, and a 20 sec CD on it that can either nuke/splash heal or heal/AOE dmg. It's so far ahead of ES in PVP in terms of utility, burst, and effectiveness it's not even a contest. LH changes, while paltry and actually more useful for HOLY than ret, weren't terrible.

No, what we need are actual survival CDs, less "gimmick heals" to be based around, and an actual melee tool-kit instead of a "pick 1 of 3 things needed for any melee" option we have now.

DivProt (with or without glyph) always makes you feel like a "grass is greener" cooldown. Glyphed, it seems like casters eat you for breakfast; unglyphed, you pray for no melee to come at you. Glyph of TV helped some, and I'm thankful for it, but we still go down after bubble drops/is dispelled.

Selfless Healer makes us walking bullseye's in arena; As if we needed more reason to get trained, now it's spam dispels on Ret to remove freedom/SH stacks so he can't offheal nuke, and train him so he has to WOG. Easiest kill target bar none, yet still random BG noobs cry "OP" at 3-stack FoL crits on people.

We cried for an interrupt outside of (dispellable) HoJ on a 1min CD, and finally got one 6 years later. We cried for a snare since jump street, finally got one 8 years later (not counting the 100% "snare" of SoJ). We cried for a gap-closer like every other melee. We cried for some sort of ranged CC. So, what do they do? "Here, we gave you ALL of what you are asking for" Wow, really? Thanks Blizz! "Sure, now just pick which one you want!" Trololol. "Oh, and we took away repentance, CD-redux on HoJ, and Long-Arm/PoJ in our talent sweep, and gave them to Holy. So be sure to pick which of those you want too".

I still play Ret in BGs/arena, and do OK. However, I get on my DK or Spriest or warrior, with no gear and can run circles around my Ret. I miss SOME of the classes abilities (namely our support for teammates, un-kitableness against baddies, and trolling with Bubble), but for actual DAMAGE DEALING, the class is stuck about 1-2 expansions in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id be happy with an extra attack to bridge that 3-4 second time gap where I am waiting on cooldowns. Dosent even have to generate holy power or be some huge monstrus attack, just something that does decent damage with a cool visual.

Or take templars verdict off of holy power slap a 3-4 second CD on it and give us Reckoning Bomb for a new holy power dump.

Also would like to see Inquisition with a bit of a longer duration or a reworking of it.
    Last edited by Lethey Alexandros; 2013-04-18 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    Id be happy with an extra attack to bridge that 3-4 second time gap where I am waiting on cooldowns. Dosent even have to generate holy power or be some huge monstrus attack, just something that does decent damage with a cool visual.
    Try getting more haste and/or changing your rotation/priority, as you should never have that large of a gap. I don't have much of any open GCD in PVP, between rotational damage abilities and throwing out utility via hands/heals. PVE of course you have almost NO empty GCDs, but that's another matter.

I'd trade all our "cool visuals" for some actual substance to the class and a complete melee toolkit. WTT flashy wings and guardian for snare and CC. Will toss in Ashbringer for a MS. PST!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Its good to hear there are big changes coming in the future. I just hope they are aiming for 5.4 with some of them and not holding off entirely for the next expansion.

Do you think every spec should expect to be viable in high-end arena? I don't see the same expectation level from Holy Priests, or Arcane Mages, or Blood DKs, or Enhance Shamans, or any other specs that see equal or worse representation in arenas. Ret's toolbox has always been better suited to RBGs where it does fine. It'd be nice if rets were on par with rogues/shadow priests/mages, but I think everyone would be happier if they just realize that is never very likely to happen.