Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Druids are exempt because they have Cyclone as a class skill. An actual CC, while still having things like Bash/Maim/Root/Beam as CC's.

Quote Originally Posted by beingmused View Post
    Do you think every spec should expect to be viable in high-end arena? I don't see the same expectation level from Holy Priests, or Arcane Mages, or Blood DKs, or Enhance Shamans, or any other specs that see equal or worse representation in arenas. Ret's toolbox has always been better suited to RBGs where it does fine. It'd be nice if rets were on par with rogues/shadow priests/mages, but I think everyone would be happier if they just realize that is never very likely to happen.
    Holy priests should be Disc
    Arcane mages should be Frost
    Blood DKs should not play tank spec in arena
    Enhancement Shamans should be Elemental

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NQ Exac View Post
    Holy priests should be Disc
    Arcane mages should be Frost
    Blood DKs should not play tank spec in arena
    Enhancement Shamans should be Elemental
    This ^
    While most other classes have a spec of the same role to make up for a bad other spec, it's not the case with Paladins

SoL needs another 15% to make up for the power nerf.

Ret is back to swinging the golden lasso of harmlessness

Silence removal via AM is a nice add (that should have been baseline to begin with) the long 3 minute cd doesn't do to much in the form of reliable survivability.
    Last edited by OmegaManHester; 2013-05-06 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaManHester View Post
    SoL needs another 15% to make up for the power nerf.

Ret is back to swinging the golden lasso of harmlessness

Silence removal via AM is a nice add (that should have been baseline to begin with) the long 3 minute cd doesn't do to much in the form of survivability.
    Like I said in another post, I think it would be better if they changed out pvp set bonus to something more along the lines of "Every 20 seconds your Templar's Verdict will do all holy damage".

This would give us more sustained pressure which is something we seriously need. It would also stop us from using the t15 4 piece over the PvP set.

you must be new because ret mobility is actually really good. we almost have 100% uptime on our target. the issue is our defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffeh1213 View Post
    you must be new because ret mobility is actually really good. we almost have 100% uptime on our target. the issue is our defense.
    The main issue is not our defense it's our sustain dmg outside of our burst cds.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    The main issue is not our defense it's our sustain dmg outside of our burst cds.
    you're kinda wrong there. hop on ptr, you'll notice how everybody has a base resilience of 65%, and if you start stacking full resilience, you'll only increase from 65% to 68%, which isn't much of a change. so i started doing some theorycrafting and i slapped on the 4set pve bonus onto my ret just to check it out, which basically gives you a 40% chance on your crusader strike to make your next Templar's Verdict deal all holy damage. (coupled with inquisition, it basically increases your TV's damage by a shit load and ignores all armor on the target). feels good critting for 110k outside cds. wearing pve 4set bonus fixes our damage outside of cooldowns. it's sort of like the 5.2 SoJ TfB thing they did.

ret damage really isn't ~that~ bad without the 4set pve bonus, sure you do need cooldowns to actually net a kill on something, but that's typically how arenas work (cc something, pop cds, win).

you're kinda wrong there. hop on ptr, you'll notice how everybody has a base resilience of 65%, and if you start stacking full resilience, you'll only increase from 65% to 68%, which isn't much of a change. so i started doing some theorycrafting and i slapped on the 4set pve bonus onto my ret just to check it out, which basically gives you a 40% chance on your crusader strike to make your next Templar's Verdict deal all holy damage. (coupled with inquisition, it basically increases your TV's damage by a shit load and ignores all armor on the target). feels good critting for 110k outside cds. wearing pve 4set bonus fixes our damage outside of cooldowns. it's sort of like the 5.2 SoJ TfB thing they did.

ret damage really isn't ~that~ bad without the 4set pve bonus, sure you do need cooldowns to actually net a kill on something, but that's typically how arenas work (cc something, pop cds, win).
    Aside from you assertion that going from 65% to 68% isn't a big deal (it is), Ret still suffers from a lot of defensive shortcomings. Specifically our weakness versus both disarms AND silences for stopping our damage, lack of any anti-melee ability (such as disarm or phys dmg redux CD, unless you glyph DivProt), and our reliance/"balance" around Bubble (and LoH in WPVP/regBGs) that keeps the class hamstrung. So, defensives ARE still a concern, but thats only part of the issue.

Problem is, every other class/spec that is competitive has their burst on a shorter timeframe. Frost Mage with 30 sec CD on Deep, FDK with 60 sec on PoF, SPriest with ~30 sec on 3-orb DP/insanity. So, if they go to set up the kill and fail or get CCd/countered, they can re-try again in 30-60 seconds. That means, for a mage for example, first burst gets trinketed, next 3 all cannot.

Ret burst is TWO MINUTES by comparison (not counting in GoAK at FIVE), which coincidentally is enough time to reset trinkets.

Maybe 4pc PVE will be a band-aid for this tier, but we're still bringing Honda Civics to a street race against Corvettes/Lambos/whatever.
    Last edited by Nairobi; 2013-05-10 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Aside from you assertion that going from 65% to 68% isn't a big deal (it is),
    whether i have 65% resil or 68% i still get globaled by frost mages without any defensive cooldowns so i personally think it isn't much of a difference (it'll probably take an extra ice lance to kill me)

but yeah that was my point, i stated that our mobility is fine, our defense is shit, and our sustain damage damage is ~ok~ (only with the 4set pve bonus)

whether i have 65% resil or 68% i still get globaled by frost mages without any defensive cooldowns so i personally think it isn't much of a difference (it'll probably take an extra ice lance to kill me)

but yeah that was my point, i stated that our mobility is fine, our defense is shit, and our sustain damage damage is ~ok~ (only with the 4set pve bonus)
    Just trying to clarify: 65% to 68% reduction is roughly the equivalent of an extra Glyph of TV up 100% of the time.

Ignoring PVP power (or rather assuming equal attacks prior to reux), a 100k ice lance hits for 35k in 5.3, Stacking resil (to 68%) reduces that to 32k, a ~9.2% reduction for those 3%.

Personally, just giving Ret back its stun break on HoF would be fine (IMO). Give it a 30sec ICD (or make it not function if freedom is already active) even, to prevent double-breaking with Clemency, since I'm sure people would cry OP. But breaking that Deep can be game changing, and would give Ret a good "defensive" without introducing another cooldown for the class (which would throw off Holy PVP and Prot PVE).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account

I wasn't talking about the next incoming patch and the ptr I'm talking about ret atm in pvp.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone on the PTR know how well this incomeing 15% buff helps for pve sustained DPS?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    Anyone on the PTR know how well this incomeing 15% buff helps for pve sustained DPS?
    as far as i remember somebody saying(i think it may have been Reith not 100% sure) .. i think it was ~10-11% overall increase... i could be wrong and feel free to correct me if i am

Defense is our main issue. Outside of Bubble we are an easy target. That is why every team just trains the Ret Paladin. Damage could be a little better but it isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZABANNITH View Post
    as far as i remember somebody saying(i think it may have been Reith not 100% sure) .. i think it was ~10-11% overall increase... i could be wrong and feel free to correct me if i am
    It varies from 9-11%. It gets more towards 11% with more AOE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    It varies from 9-11%. It gets more towards 11% with more AOE.
    Yeah i cant wait TBH , anybody got any ETA when patch will drop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Defense is our main issue. Outside of Bubble we are an easy target. That is why every team just trains the Ret Paladin. Damage could be a little better but it isn't too bad.
    That's right but we are not the weakest class in term of defensive stuff specially against melee take example for DK they are even more squishy than retri in term of defensive stuff specially against melees but we don't feel it as bad as Retri because DKs have an awesome sustain dmg + burst + and pressure.

What I mean is yes Retri defensive capabilities is weak but DKs are even weakers against melees but they don't have as much problem as us because they can make up this squishy part because of being an awesome dmg dealer in pvp in general.

That's right but we are not the weakest class in term of defensive stuff specially against melee take example for DK they are even more squishy than retri in term of defensive stuff specially against melees but we don't feel it as bad as Retri because DKs have an awesome sustain dmg + burst + and pressure.

What I mean is yes Retri defensive capabilities is weak but DKs are even weakers against melees but they don't have as much problem as us because they can make up this squishy part because of being an awesome dmg dealer in pvp in general.
    Dk's are not more squishy than Ret. Unless you aren't in Blood Pres for some reason. I would even argue that Dk's are one of the most tanky melee atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Dk's are not more squishy than Ret. Unless you aren't in Blood Pres for some reason. I would even argue that Dk's are one of the most tanky melee atm.
    yeah they are indeed not squishy against casters because they have stuff like anti magic shell and zone but against melees that does physical dmg to them? they are way more squishy than Retri at the moment. Blood presence(which only give 10% dmg reduction) will not be enough to withstand rogues burst in pvp for example specially at the opener when the rogue know his stuff of course.

But because DK have amazing pressure, dmg, and gap closer that's why a lot of players overlook their squishness weakness.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2013-05-11 at 05:58 AM.