Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,243
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Let me ask you this, to you specifically. How often are you currently logging in to Rift weekly and what is it that you do while logged in?
    I cannot obviously answer this question for Slipmat, but I can say that I am subbed to his YouTube via email updates and it has been quite a while since he made a Rift video. He made a couple Defiance ones the other day and that was it.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  2. #62
    The only way they grow Rift is F2P.
    It will suck :/
    Maybe faster content patches will fix it? :/ (If it's still possible)

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    It will suck :/
    Maybe faster content patches will fix it? :/ (If it's still possible)
    There is always the potential a company will make a poor F2P transition [TOR]. Though Trion can also make a spectacular F2P transition ala Tera or LOTRO.

    When Tera went F2P they actually gained subs and revenue. Tera is quite busy now in player activity across the board than when it was P2P. Not just one or two areas either.

    P2P is a really tough sell in the current market. There is only room for so many MMOs in that tier. By in large, most people are not going to pay for World of Warcraft twice if you follow my meaning.

  4. #64
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    By in large, most people are not going to pay for World of Warcraft twice if you follow my meaning.
    Especially when WoW is providing original Rift levels of service to justify their subscription. Say you want about the type of content, and anything else about the game, but they are providing where they once were not. Transversely Rift isn't providing like they used to and the idea of it being a service doesn't fit right now.

    I expect they have a window of the remaining year to rectify that perception, but with the continued need to baby Defiance I just don't see that happening. I think the could remain financially viable, providing a service, if they did utilize something very similar to LotRO's model. Future content could be sold piecemeal, with most of the leveling game being provided for free.

  5. #65
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    P2P is a really tough sell in the current market. There is only room for so many MMOs in that tier. By in large, most people are not going to pay for World of Warcraft twice if you follow my meaning.
    I think this is it exactly. I can either pay/play WoW where I have longtime friends, and have multitudes of dailies, scenarios, LFR, BGs, pet battles (if that strikes my fancy), or I can pay for Rift where I have two sets of dailies, one boring Chronicle that I've already gotten all the gear I need from, the same 4-5 zone events (as cool a Volan is, it got old after the tenth time), the same 3 raid rifts and the same great hunts, and have to make sure I'm in a guild that can actually field 20 people to even attempt the 20-man raids or else get bored running the 10 man every week, and that won't change because the next 10-man is a tier higher that requires gear from the 20-man to even set foot into.

    Now granted I pay for both right now, but without a guild capable of doing the 20-man my Rift time has diminished from every day since SL launched to raid nights only. I haven't run a dungeon in weeks, I ignore zone events despite needing the rep, I'm one Hunt V away from getting all of them and don't do it anymore despite needing the rep, just because it's even more mind-numbingly boring than WoW was at Mists launch with Golden Lotus gating. At least with LFR in WoW I can enjoy some minor raiding, in Rift I can't even do that since my guild isn't capable (I can only assume that must have been how TBC felt for the lackluster guilds).
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator


  6. #66
    There is always the potential a company will make a poor F2P transition [TOR]. Though Trion can also make a spectacular F2P transition ala Tera or LOTRO.
    Tera F2P > LOTRO.
    When Tera went F2P they actually gained subs and revenue. Tera is quite busy now in player activity across the board than when it was P2P. Not just one or two areas either.
    And Tera isn't getting fast content updates, after F2P launch they didn't get any (correct me if I'm mistaken)
    P2P is a really tough sell in the current market. There is only room for so many MMOs in that tier. By in large, most people are not going to pay for World of Warcraft twice if you follow my meaning.
    Yes I understand you, but when being premium gaves u some advantages over F2P it gives me some different feeling, I prefer sub when everyone is equal + sub games have better content quality, support & etc.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Tera F2P > LOTRO.

    And Tera isn't getting fast content updates, after F2P launch they didn't get any (correct me if I'm mistaken)

    Yes I understand you, but when being premium gaves u some advantages over F2P it gives me some different feeling, I prefer sub when everyone is equal + sub games have better content quality, support & etc.


    Yeah I really don't think going full f2p would be good for Rift. I do think that 1-50 free to play would be good though. Or 1-49 at least I think they had that in Korea or something. I know that is is hard to sell a full sub game these days. I do prefer the sub option for the same reasons you do. Not to say that there isn't any really good f2p games out there.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Tera F2P > LOTRO.

    And Tera isn't getting fast content updates, after F2P launch they didn't get any (correct me if I'm mistaken)
    Tera has a large subscriber base in korea so they can afford to go full f2p in NA. Which is why it's different than lotro.
    I am under the impression that they have gotten new updates, one major one involving pvp and something about a dungeon.

    Also, if you think that not getting content updates is bad, wouldn't you say Lotro < tera? I don't follow. Lotros been f2p for years now and keeps coming out with new content.

    And that last bit about p2p offering "better content quality" is extremely subjective. I have many months of Rift left on my account but I am playing f2p games because I feel they have "better content quality".
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  9. #69
    Sadly, I agree. There's been nothing to really grab people and bring players back since SL. It's sad, but with how fast they patch(ed) you knew it was going to come sooner or later.

    My server (threesprings) is dead. As much as I don't want it, especially since I'm still subbed till April 4th NEXT YEAR, I think it's time. At least make it buy-to-play, of not free-to-play.

    toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    [

    I cannot obviously answer this question for Slipmat, but I can say that I am subbed to his YouTube via email updates and it has been quite a while since he made a Rift video. He made a couple Defiance ones the other day and that was it.
    Yeah, my bet is that he does not log in and play very much, because there isn't much to do. He probably won't answer the question because he is sitting here trying to argue that there is content, but if he were to answer that question it would prove there is not enough content. So I am pretty sure he's just gonna ignore the question, the same way most people who sit around and defend something on the internet do when provided with questions or arguments that prove them wrong. They pick and choose the facts they want to argue, like time in between patches, but ignore the amount of content per patch.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  11. #71
    i play the game from beta. and i am still enjoying it. Playing every day for some hours if i can.
    Still plenty of things to do that enjoys me ( hunt rare mobs,still need reputation with factions of SL , lots of artifact hunt and doing many expert randoms to upgrade my expert gear cause i dont raid.) although i believe that 2.2 was very light on content and 2.3 should come soon

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, my bet is that he does not log in and play very much, because there isn't much to do. He probably won't answer the question because he is sitting here trying to argue that there is content, but if he were to answer that question it would prove there is not enough content. So I am pretty sure he's just gonna ignore the question, the same way most people who sit around and defend something on the internet do when provided with questions or arguments that prove them wrong. They pick and choose the facts they want to argue, like time in between patches, but ignore the amount of content per patch.
    To be honest, I reckon he probably does log in quite a bit, but he's still doing pretty much the same kind of things that he was doing when he hit 60. I would have liked to have seen him respond to edgecrushers post, because the level of spin in his posts have been even greater than usual, and have been dishonest at best, and outright lies to provoke reactions at worst. Though I suppose the content is still relevant after six months. But, y'know, thats because they havent really added much else. For raiders, they've added 5 bosses and 4 hard modes over 2 patches, and the hard modes were all down in the first couple of hours - these are the kind of stats that would be used to laugh at WoW. In the past, when they have been light on raid content, they've added other stuff like Ember Isle and conquest. Since SL release, we've had a world event that borrowed a lot from the previous year, and.....not a lot else. Again, if it were WoW, he would be using this to rubbish the game, instead he'll deflect it with something else to make Rift look "better" like "yeah, but how many hotfixes has Rift had?".

    I think they really need to push the boat out with 2.3. Denodrome needs to be awesome, at least on the scale of Ember Isle to keep people interested. Having a 10 man as the first raid of the next tier seems odd, but I can see why it is - not so much because they want to make a 10 man the first raid in the tier, but because they need to get the next tier out as soon as possible to keep the raiders interested. Most of the serious guilds dont really seem to give a crap about 10 mans, but they'll run it to gear up for the next 20 man if the loot is better than whats currently out. If Dendrome is a letdown, I see a lot of people walking away from the game.

    They need to communicate a bit better to their players in my opinion. Dalgar says he doesnt like putting information out "till its ready" which is fine, but its pretty obvious players are getting angsty, and just releasing a few tidbits would go a long way to helping quell that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    To be honest, I reckon he probably does log in quite a bit, but he's still doing pretty much the same kind of things that he was doing when he hit 60. I would have liked to have seen him respond to edgecrushers post, because the level of spin in his posts have been even greater than usual, and have been dishonest at best, and outright lies to provoke reactions at worst. Though I suppose the content is still relevant after six months. But, y'know, thats because they havent really added much else. For raiders, they've added 5 bosses and 4 hard modes over 2 patches, and the hard modes were all down in the first couple of hours - these are the kind of stats that would be used to laugh at WoW. In the past, when they have been light on raid content, they've added other stuff like Ember Isle and conquest. Since SL release, we've had a world event that borrowed a lot from the previous year, and.....not a lot else. Again, if it were WoW, he would be using this to rubbish the game, instead he'll deflect it with something else to make Rift look "better" like "yeah, but how many hotfixes has Rift had?".

    I think they really need to push the boat out with 2.3. Denodrome needs to be awesome, at least on the scale of Ember Isle to keep people interested. Having a 10 man as the first raid of the next tier seems odd, but I can see why it is - not so much because they want to make a 10 man the first raid in the tier, but because they need to get the next tier out as soon as possible to keep the raiders interested. Most of the serious guilds dont really seem to give a crap about 10 mans, but they'll run it to gear up for the next 20 man if the loot is better than whats currently out. If Dendrome is a letdown, I see a lot of people walking away from the game.

    They need to communicate a bit better to their players in my opinion. Dalgar says he doesnt like putting information out "till its ready" which is fine, but its pretty obvious players are getting angsty, and just releasing a few tidbits would go a long way to helping quell that.
    Yeah I can't help but think he may have not answered the question because he realizes it would only prove the point that there hasn't actually been a lot of content added since SL released.

    Yeah I agree Dendrome needs to be awesome. We have been waiting too long for a good chunk of new content and it does seem many people are on the edge of walking away for good. If 2.3 sucks it will be very bad for Rift and I am not sure if it could recover. I do also agree that they need to communicate more. I understand about not wanting to give out info until it is ready. But we need to hear something! Though to be fair we are getting that livestream this week. I just hope we get some actual info on stuff in the patch and not just lore.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    Yeah I can't help but think he may have not answered the question because he realizes it would only prove the point that there hasn't actually been a lot of content added since SL released.

    Yeah I agree Dendrome needs to be awesome. We have been waiting too long for a good chunk of new content and it does seem many people are on the edge of walking away for good. If 2.3 sucks it will be very bad for Rift and I am not sure if it could recover. I do also agree that they need to communicate more. I understand about not wanting to give out info until it is ready. But we need to hear something! Though to be fair we are getting that livestream this week. I just hope we get some actual info on stuff in the patch and not just lore.
    we have info for the patch. what we need right now to get ppl excited is some footage from finished dendrome and if not gameplay from strongholds at least tell us sth more about it!

  15. #75
    Elemental Lord Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    8,606
    Could of Trion planned this all along, with making/allowing you to pay for a full year sub in bulk with Storm Legion? Cash in big early ??
    Just case people did leave during the lack of content, They would have there money already.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-04-21 at 07:36 PM.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Could of Trion planned this all along, with making/allowing you to pay for a full year sub in bulk with Storm Legion? Cash in big early ??
    Just case people did leave during the lack of content, They would have there money already.
    What like the year subscription get diablo 3 free and then not release anything for 9 months?

    Possibly.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    we have info for the patch. what we need right now to get ppl excited is some footage from finished dendrome and if not gameplay from strongholds at least tell us sth more about it!
    Well I meant more detailed info like what are strongholds and yes some footage from the finished dendrome would be nice.

  18. #78
    Elemental Lord Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    8,606
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    What like the year subscription get diablo 3 free and then not release anything for 9 months?

    Possibly.
    Ya its basically like we wont lock you in, but will take your money instead, if you do leave in the future.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-04-21 at 09:51 PM.

  19. #79
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    What like the year subscription get diablo 3 free and then not release anything for 9 months?

    Possibly.
    Between the AP and buying an extended sub in Rift, I've learned my lesson. I will never trust a subscription beyond month to month ever again.

  20. #80
    Elemental Lord Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    8,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Between the AP and buying an extended sub in Rift, I've learned my lesson. I will never trust a subscription beyond month to month ever again.
    Ya I never buy anything beyond a month that way you always have control.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •