Deleted

i5 3570k OC, max temps?

Hi guys,

I can't seem to find an answer on the web regarding the max temps for an i5 3570k.

Sure, ALOT of questions about it but nowhere a definitive answer.

I currently have mine OC'ed to 4.6GHz at 1.22v, with LLC set to High.
    Max temp recorded during a 2h Prime95 small fft test, is 76 degrees.

These temps are obviously not reached during regular use and gaming.

What are your experiences regarding this CPU and what IS the max temp I should be watching out for?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't go above 85C is prime95, though 80c is my maximum for in-game.

I've read you're alright if it says below 90, but maybe someone else knows better...

I just oced my i5 3570k to only 4.2, but after a 16 hour prime95 test and a game running in the background I maxed at 80. I'm not sure if I'm happy with 80 either, so I'm right there with you lol

I've been thinking about redoing the thermal paste to see if that helps anything, but I'm so lazy and it's not an immediate problem since the temps have maxed only around 63 after it's been on for 80 hours straight and a couple gaming sessions here and there.

Start worrying at 80°C, get really worried at 90, immediately stop stress testing and lower voltages at 95 IMO.

75°C is fine. Bit warm, but over-all fine.

4.6ghz at 1.22 is incredibly good, and I wouldn't mind a max of 80 since you'll rarely ever max it out all the time in games. I can't even hit 4.5ghz at 1.3v, because my board hates me.

LLC should be set to Ultra High on asus boards for the best precise vcore.

Deleted
    Officially, the temperature where a 3570K starts thermal throttling is at 105c. Basically, anyone OC'ing their chips try to stay at least 20c under that at a maximum load to prevent permanent damage or degradation.

As for me, my max temps are hitting 85c (partly why I stopped upping the OC), and rarely peak above 65c while gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    85-90 c in prime95 after 1-2 hours. Wont ever reach close to that in gaming.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I see the point in leaving a sensible gap for ambient temperature and sensor variations, but what I don't understand is this mythical 20-30c gap that people seem to recommend. Your CPU is going to be fine running up to 105c. Intel wouldn't set that as the maximum safe temperature if it caused your CPU damage. That's bad for business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker Cronus View Post
    I see the point in leaving a sensible gap for ambient temperature and sensor variations, but what I don't understand is this mythical 20-30c gap that people seem to recommend. Your CPU is going to be fine running up to 105c. Intel wouldn't set that as the maximum safe temperature if it caused your CPU damage. That's bad for business.
    They don't say it's the maximum safe temperature. They say it's the maximum temperature before thermal throttle/shut down. 105C is by no means safe. It's above boiling point. Running a CPU at, or anywhere near it's TJmax for extended periods will cause permanent damage.