Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Psychic horror, stop stealing my orb's!!

ok so in the post below and maybe older threads this has been discussed a fair emount. Mainly with the heavy pvp nerf's coming are way surely blizzard would maybe change the way spriest disarm works, this is purely from the point of pvp here.
    It happens so freequently you have 3 orbs ready for burst then comes a point you need to disarm rather forcing you to spend your 3 orbs bursting at an inconvenient time casting MB and disarm or literally spending all your burst on a disarm, in arena with a warrior sitting on you even with the MB procs from talents its still a challenge to build up orbs.
    they could just lengthen then CD and cost no orbs or just shorten the disarm effect slightly so it wouldnt really be a buff.
    Thought's guys? reakon we could make this happen ?

Deleted
    Would make too much sense, and I doubt blizzard wants to think about something even resembling a pvp buff for shadow:P.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-04-18 at 12:19 AM.

Deleted
    yeah thats why its silly it hasnt been implemented lol!

a glyph to remove the ability for it to use more than 1 orb would be the simplest solution I think
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    a glyph to remove the ability for it to use more than 1 orb would be the simplest solution I think
    Wouldn't still be kinda clunky, and I honestly don't know if that glyph would be worth a slot. Sure, it'd be nice, but I'd much rather just see a proper change over some bandaid.

Quote Originally Posted by torgaltroop1 View Post
    ok so in the post below and maybe older threads this has been discussed a fair emount. Mainly with the heavy pvp nerf's coming are way surely blizzard would maybe change the way spriest disarm works, this is purely from the point of pvp here.
    It happens so freequently you have 3 orbs ready for burst then comes a point you need to disarm rather forcing you to spend your 3 orbs bursting at an inconvenient time casting MB and disarm or literally spending all your burst on a disarm, in arena with a warrior sitting on you even with the MB procs from talents its still a challenge to build up orbs.
    they could just lengthen then CD and cost no orbs or just shorten the disarm effect slightly so it wouldnt really be a buff.
    Thought's guys? reakon we could make this happen ?
    My thoughts are.....no.

Giving shadow priests a more "convenient" disarm, which they can then combine with their already solid burst, is unnecessary.

What might actually happen is shadow orbs start to decay like EVERY other resource out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    My thoughts are.....no.

Giving shadow priests a more "convenient" disarm, which they can then combine with their already solid burst, is unnecessary.

What might actually happen is shadow orbs start to decay like EVERY other resource out there.
    Thanks for your amazing insight, I find your statement that every resource but shadow orbs decays to be especially enlightening, you truly know exactly what are you talking about.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-04-18 at 03:58 AM.

The whole point of nerfing Shadow is because it has too much utility, wouldn't make sense to then buff them to have better utility.

That being said, if they removed the stun from it and made it just a disarm like Rogues/Warriors have, then I don't think it'd be that bad of an idea. But it can't have a 3 second stun with no orb cost, or you can Stun, burst, silence, continue doing damage, and disarm the melee on you all at the same time.

Though if they remove the stun it'd be such a massive nerf Shadow would hardly be viable anymore. So really, no, this is a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

Just to clear things up it's a horrify effect not stun

Still would be nice to see it not cost a shadow orb. SPriests really get destroyed to thug and jungle so it would be a nice defensive for them.

This should really be baseline for all priests. Sp's have lots of CC, but Disc has very little. Just make it an X second disarm, not horrify involved, and everyone is happy.
    Last edited by Venaliter; 2013-04-18 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    That being said, if they removed the stun from it and made it just a disarm like Rogues/Warriors have, then I don't think it'd be that bad of an idea. But it can't have a 3 second stun with no orb cost, or you can Stun, burst, silence, continue doing damage, and disarm the melee on you all at the same time.
    Your point hardly makes any sense, 'cause PH is hardly ever used to actually disarm someone. It's main use is interrupting through aura mastery effects.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

<Arena starts>
    Mate: "Burst in 3..."
    Me: "Not ready! Wait for 3 Orbs aka 24s!"
    Mate: "-.-"
    <Opponent starts pressure>
    <I use my two Orbs for disarm>
    Mate: "Burst in 8..."
    Me: "ehm, no. 24!"
    Mate: "If you don´t do any pressure, you could fear something at least!"
    Me: "Sure, bring me the crowd. ^^"
    <Later that Arena...>
    Me: "3 Orbs in 2! CC the CCers"
    <Dispell, Fear, Silence the Healer>
    <BAM! DP + 3xMF:I - one opponent less>

That´s how it usually works. If we survive their pressure long enough. Probably most opponents still underestimate the burst. Well, with 24s+ of moderate low dmg and suddenly this "BAM, sluuuuurp!" it might still be surprising. Compared to other comps such as RM, FR, RH, FH, ... it´s a lot of work to turn the tide each game.

I don´t think we deserve our only chance to kill something being delayed even further. Psychic Horror costing Orbs was ok when Mind Spike wasn´t nerfed. With FDcL as a valid talent we had good mobility, good sustained dmg and some procced orbs for Pschic Horror. Now with FDcL being crap, Orbs are so valuable that I think twice before I waste an Orb on a disarm.

Many other specs have our burst as sustained dmg. We only get a good amount of kills because the switch from low dmg to burst comes quick and can be supported by cc very well. SP isn´t op at all in Arena. We could need this buff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree, Psychic Horror eating orbs wasn't exactly a smart idea. However I do agree with orb being used for more then just plague, I do like the idea of orbs can also be used for defense as well. I don't think Phychic Horror was the right ability for it though. I'm thinking more along the lines of "Shadow word: Absorb", cause weaken soul and each orb gives a absorb that would be roughly 75% of what Power Word: Shield would be. I think that would of been a better move with it, can't do that now though we have a lot as it is and to just add a new ability this late into the expansion would be a no go. Hopefully next expansion will be a better time for shadow orbs.

Also one thing about Psychic Horror I would like to point out. The way it's worded makes it seem it can be used with no orbs for a 1 second horror with a disarm. So just maybe it started out that way but they thought that would be too much?

15+ Year Old Account
    I tweeted this to ghostcrawler like two weeks ago, since I've been mentioning it around ever since - I probably started this conversation, so I'll outline how I think it should be

Psychic Horror is a 60 second cooldown, 8 second duration disarm effect (same CD and duration as Disarm, Dismantle, Grapple Weapon), consumes no orbs.

Regarding it being a buff to Shadowpriest utility - it doesn't hold a candle to Void Shift and 0.5 second Mass Dispel - but more importantly, Utility is a very broad catagory, and the problem with Shadow utility that they wanted to address was our ability to fulfill a healer-ish role while being a DPS class - Void Shift was one of the most powerful heal effects in the game for pvp and was useable by a DPS spec, Mass Dispel for defensive dispelling broke the monopoly of defensive dispels from the healer specs (and those specific abilities the devs have approved as being acceptable, such as Shamanistic Rage, Tremor Totem, Berserker Rage, Lichborne, etc) - Mass Dispel from a spriest allowed classes like Mages to pretty consistently break out of Fears for example (unless they were undead, in which case they could do this already, because that's 'balance') - it meant running a CC train on a healer could be broken not just by CC'ing the next person in the chain, but by having the priest dispel any magic CC in the chain - which was apparently too hard to balance around.

Having a disarm isn't the same kind of utility as having Void Shift or Mass Dispel - it means that if your healer is getting killed by a melee you can peel their damage (reducing it temporarily), but you can't end a CC chain or instantly heal their kill target (via Void Shift). Disarms are utility such that they are peels, but shadow needs peels more than any other caster - and psychic horror was our own survivability ability we had long before MoP: what MoP did was give us Void Shfit, and take away Psychic Horror (effectively, because nobody uses it for pvp given the orb cost), with the loss of Void Shift (and the over-nerf of Mass Dispel) - we'd like our disarm back

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 11:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaloce View Post
    I have to agree, Psychic Horror eating orbs wasn't exactly a smart idea. However I do agree with orb being used for more then just plague, I do like the idea of orbs can also be used for defense as well.
    Making Shadow Orbs a resource with multiple uses wasn't a bad idea, but they only gave it like 30 seconds of thought before putting it on Live. To say this idea is half-baked is grossly over-generous, it's not even batter yet, it's half-batter (so it's an egg, I guess? ^^). At this point, the only way to reconcile the system (the cake, NOM) is to scrap the broken part of it (Psychic Horror) and return to Shadow Orbs just being about our finisher (formerly Mind Blast, now Devouring Plague).

The problem with something like a Shadow Word: Absorb is that it has to compete in survivability with the HoT effect of Devouring Plague - while surpassing it enough to justify not benefitting from the damage of Devouring Plague. To be frank, nothing short of a Void Shift-like gain in health is going to compete with giving up Devouring Plague and if we can cast that on others, obviously that would be broken. (Though it could work if it were self-only, but then it just becomes an Ember Tap knock-off).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-04-18 at 11:59 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    I fully agree with the above, just dont truly get how blizz thinks sometimes, the added orbs provide no benefit to psychic horror, so let them do something like reduce the cd or anything instead else. I truly wonder if blizzard just wants us all to play rogue and mage so they can balance pvp around that. The disarm is our only real cc against not completely retarded melee, also having shackle last 10 seconds would also be great in the light of dk's turning into godmode healers with tardmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I tweeted this to ghostcrawler like two weeks ago, since I've been mentioning it around ever since - I probably started this conversation, so I'll outline how I think it should be
    Haha, I've been asking for this from release ;-)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    Haha, I've been asking for this from release ;-)
    Well ya, we all complained about Psychic Horror costing Orbs in beta - it was stuipd then and it's stuipd now Losing Void Shift is a big loss to our survivability though, so I think the more recent discussion probably started with the tweets

10+ Year Old Account
    I totally agree that psychic horror should not require orbs. Orbs are not very easy to come around, and as OP stated, it really messes up your burst rotation when you have to do a stun with PH. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    (Though it could work if it were self-only, but then it just becomes an Ember Tap knock-off).
    I totally forgot about ember tap, must of been how that idea floated into my head lol. Being how basicly all of us already tweeted at GC about horror orbs not being a very good idea in the first place with 0 response, it's safe to say that we're stuck with it till the next expansion. Here's hoping they do a open class feedback like thing when they were ending cata!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramaloce View Post
    I totally forgot about ember tap, must of been how that idea floated into my head lol. Being how basicly all of us already tweeted at GC about horror orbs not being a very good idea in the first place with 0 response, it's safe to say that we're stuck with it till the next expansion. Here's hoping they do a open class feedback like thing when they were ending cata!
    They won't, they hated having us design their classes for them - I don't expect them to try that again ever unfortunately :/