Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] RPDRace/University

WARNING HUNTIES! This thread may contain spoilers! We'll try to use the Spoiler tag whenever we can, but just in case someone forgets remember - DON'T BE SHADY, BE A LADY!

!!!Image Heavy Thread!!!

I searched the forum, and I saw one instance where someone tried to make a thread last year but it didn't generate a ton of interest. People seem to be popping up on the forum in support, so I thought I'd reach out. Hopefully it's not me in an echo chamber.

Where my RuPaul fans at?

You, betta, WERQ.

You can watch RuPaul's Drag Race (and University) on Logo's Website!

Quote Originally Posted by INFO
    It is important to note that not all gay people like drag queens/kings, or want to be a drag queen/king. Not all gay people are campy, or "flaming", so disliking drag just because it's not your bag regarding art does not make you homophobic. Disliking drag simply because it is "gay" makes an individual homophobic. However, keep in mind that drag is an art form enjoyed by gays, lesbians, straight women, AND straight men. That's right, some people who do drag are not gay at all, and are simply expressing themselves through art.

It is also important to note that unlike common misconception, people who take part in drag do not necessarily want to be that gender. For example, drag queens live their everyday lives as men. They are proud and happy to be men - and the same goes for drag kings. There are some people who do drag and then feel it isn't enough, because perhaps they would be happier as a woman or a man, and these people generally stop doing drag and begin the process of transferring.

Drag is an art form, a social satire and commentary. It's the elevation of the illusion of gender. Drag is not being a "transvestite" in which people cross-dress for sexual kicks, there is nothing sexually motivating about it. It is all about the art.

"I consider myself a female impersonator. I take what women do and multiply it times ten. I feel like I'm honoring women. I'm not making fun of women. I think they are the most powerful beings on earth."
    - Nicole Paige Brooks

"People don't hate gay guys because they're gay. They hate anything that's 'feminine', because it's femininity. They see anything that's girly or feminine or womanlike as something that's weak - and that's why we do drag because we want to empower that deity feminine focus."
    - Jujubee
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-05-02 at 05:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I freakin love this show so you are not alone!

I've been watching since the first season. This season I didn't have a stand out favorite at the start besides Alaska but that was because of the Sharon Needles connection. Now that we're towards the end I'm rooting for Alaska (still) and Jinkx.

10+ Year Old Account
    YAAAAAAAAAS! I was kind of worried about Alaska but she is working it!

15+ Year Old Account
    I have been waiting for this thread for so long.

I really hope Alaska wins. I find her the single most entertaining queen off all seasons combined.

The highlight of this weeks episode: Alaska's Madame LaQueer impression.

i fucking couldnt breathe i was laughing so hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alaska is really showing her own style now. I'm still torn on who I want to win, Alaska or Jinkx. Either one winning would be awesome in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHA! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who caught that Ethos.

I think Alaska is really gaining a lot more self-confidence. Not that she wasn't fierce before, but with most of the queens who thought she was just another Noodles (who I love), I can understand why that would undermine her a bit before they left.

Also, who else freaking loves Chad Sell's art of the queens.

Chad is EVERYTHING.

15+ Year Old Account
    So theres three episodes left - ep12: The Final Three, Hunty, ep13: Countdown to the Crown and ep14: Reunited!

I really wish they wouldnt do the "countdown" recap episode each season. Feels like such a waste when they couldve done another episode, but i suppose thats more to do with budgets or whatever. Although i do like the past queens coming in and bitching about/praising the fashions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if they'll make them lipsync even though the audience is now expecting it to be announced live.

I love this show. It's just too bad my cable company doesn't carry the channel (Logo) it's on unless you get the Loud 'n' Proud Package*, and I can't justify the cost for just RuPaul and those delightful segments with Richard Ryder between every show, so I usually watch it online. I haven't caught up on the latest season, but I think I'm gonna wait until it's done and marathon it.

*Might not actually be called that

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wanna say that I want to see Alaska and Jinkx take first and second place (order doesn't matter) or at least I hope Jinkx beats that fat mean whore-bitch, w/e her name is. So glad Detox is out, she got really mean at the end.

Btw, what does everyone think about the cast this season? I feel that no one really stood out and the cast in general was weaker than in previous seasons (except for 1, which I've never watched).
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Btw, what does everyone think about the cast this season? I feel that no one really stood out and the cast in general was weaker than in previous seasons (except for 1, which I've never watched).

I completely agree. When watching the 'meet the queens' videos, Alaska, Detox and Jinkx stood out, but other than that, i didnt really care about any of the rest. Some of them were pretty - like Vivienne Pinay but disappointed me overall.

I think the most disappointing part of this season was the runway looks. There were very little "oh my sweet jesus you look fucking amazing" moments. I'm talking about Raja's Marie Antoinette look, Manila's bad girl chic look from Allstars or Sharon's future presidential look. I cant really think of anything this season that has grabbed me like other seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was vastly disappointed with Serena Chacha. I honestly feel like if she had somehow stayed no one would have noticed Roxxxy's shade at all. There has been a relatively good record for young Queens in the competition (Tyra was rough around the edges but she was still fierce), and Serena was just ... THE SHADE OF IT ALL.

A real bummer. I haven't seen tonight's episode yet but I do hear Roxxxy was even worse regarding attitude than in last week's (which is like ... I mean is that possible). I know the show is edited for the gods but even so. I appreciated that Roxxxy came out with a huge public apology - which is something none of the confrontational Queens have ever done in past seasons - and completely owned her behaviour during the competiton. She made zero excuses for herself. I also think it's interesting that Jinkx and her are friends now that filming is for the most part done, Jinkx has come out and defended Roxxxy regularly.

Detox got a little cutthroat towards the end, but I don't feel like it was that bad. She's been very consistent in her positive attitude, and it makes a little sense that when she's on the cusp of missing out on the finale she'd get testy. The way Jinkx handles things really reminds me of how Willam let Phi Phi scream without getting a reaction (Willam is cool as a cucumber in those Untucked's!).

As far as the runway, Roxxxy really took my breath away for several of them. I lived for that swooped hair and blue lipstick Detox was rocking during one of the first episodes. I also felt that Jinkx was wrongfully told that she wasn't glamming up the runway enough. I was living for several of her outfits.

Still, my favourite is Alaska. I just wish she'd get a few new wigs for the runway! She styled that mega awesome wig that Sharon wore during the political debate runway, and I wanted to see her Alaska5000 alien hair!

Do you guys watch reviews of the show on YouTube? I have to admit I'm a huuuuge Isis Mirage and Coco Ferocha fan. They're just so freaking nice! I also really like Maddox and Logan.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-23 at 07:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if they'll keep doing the fan vote for next season. Considering Penny got kicked out first elimination - thats pretty embarrassing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually the fan vote just closed (can't see who won yet qq)! Link to the entries: https://www.facebook.com/rupaulsdrag...6406825&rest=1

And OH MY GOD I just watched the new ep on Logo's website and Roxxxy ... Girl ]: ... there's so much shade she's casting her wig is a weather warning.

But oooh YES ALASKA BROKE OUT THE ALASKA5000 WIG!

They're now taking votes VIA retweets (and facebook likes and a ton of other stuff that I can't remember but retweets seems to be the best way to keep track).

https://twitter.com/rupaulsdragrace
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-24 at 09:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts on this weeks episode:

First 5 minutes ive already had it with Rox. God what a bitch.
    I love that Alaska is failing at the choreography exactly like Sharon did.
    Mathu has the greatest beards every season.
    Chipmunk speed was hilarious.
    Roxxxy still holding onto Alaska's boy-drag. Ugh, please.
    Judge Rudy - hysterical.
    Alaska's defense attorney - hilarious.
    Roxxxy raging about comedy and taking everything too serious.
    "I cant hear you im blowdrying my hair" god damn shes a bitter bitch.
    Ru looked gorgeous but the thing on her shoulder looked like a giant loofah. Ruined the dress for me.
    Roxxxy's runway look - meh. Dress was ok.
    Liked Jinkx's runway look. Reminded me of Ivy Winters.
    Jinkx's makeup was the best tonight its ever been.
    Alaska's hair and makeup reminded me of Sharon's tentacle-fingers look from the last episode of S4.
    Alaska's speech - so great.
    No-one really stood out for the lip sync.
    holy sweet damn jesus thats a lot of social media voting.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was frustrating for me to see Roxxxy lash out at Alaska this time as well as Jinkx. It seemed really unnecessary. It was kind an ugly window into her insecurities. Having said that, I'm more angry at the backlash that the internet has thrust upon her. Filming has been over for months, and they have obviously all made amends. They're performing together, talking, sticking up for each other. Roxxxy knows she's not going to win at this point, she knows she made a mistake. The amount of cyber-bullying she's going through as a result of twisted internet-anonymous justice is abhorrent to the entire gay and drag culture. Yes, she was mean to Jinkx - unnecessarily so - but they dealt with it like adults. This isn't like when Serena ChaCha left who made zero amends with almost anyone (to my knowledge). As far as I know she and Detox still go at it every now and then.

Bullying is like the antithesis of the culture drag has fought to overcome, and the sheer amount of it going on (thousands and thousands of comments on Roxxxy's page) is just horrific. Saying things like she deserved to be abandoned by her mother as a child? Who SAYS that?!

It's breaking my heart. A lot of viewers are watching this and are filled with a lot of emotions, but very little filtering or mature handling of it.

ANYWAY! Here's my personal rating based on performance.

Video challenge: Jinkx 2pts | Roxxxy 3pts | Alaska 1pt
    Acting challenge: Jinkx 3pts | Roxxxy 1pt | Alaska 3pts
    Defense challenge: Jinkx 1pt | Roxxxy 1pt | Alaska 3pts
    Runway challenge: Jinkx 1pt | Roxxxy 2pts | Alaska 3pts

Total: Jinkx 7pts | Roxxxy 7pts | Alaska 10pts

I'm not rating the lipsync because I feel like Alaska for me barely pulled ahead of the others and that might just be my bias. I agree with Ethos, it wasn't that spectacular.

I was bummed I thought Roxxxy might pull it out because she's done relatively decent on other acting challenges. When she got mad over creating a character motivation, I couldn't help but remember her spectacular Tasha Salad performance. Jinkx is amazing at what she does, but in what she doesn't do she's just as weak as Roxxxy. I see them exactly as Jinkx put it last Untucked: Yin to her Yang. As much as I love Jinkx, I feel like Alaska gave just as much as she did during the Acting challenge. Alaska was also pretty clever in wearing an afro (despite what others may think) because if she had worn a more flowing wig it probably would have been in her face the entire time! Alaska to me is funny, edgy, glam, and despite not getting to see it during the series she can sing! I hate that she didn't break away from Rolaskatox soon enough to get to showcase her singing in the challenge ):! Could you imagine if she, Jinkx, and Ivy were the trio?

Unfortunately, looking at twitter, I don't think Alaska will win. But she can still win Miss Congeniality if you vote on Facebook 8D ...

Team Alaska!
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-24 at 10:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can people in the top 3 actually win Miss congeniality? I always thought they couldnt - maybe that was just because they never did. Hmm.

Ive been reading a lot of comments lately asking for a double-crowning with Jinkx and Alaska both winning. As unlikely as that is, it'd be pretty awesome. They both deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno but you can vote for all of them on the page @_@?

I think my biggest issue is that Jinkx could end up winning simply because she's an underdog, and as she said this morning,

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkx Monsoon@Facebook
    I don't want to win JUST because I was the "underdog" or "the nice one." I want to win because I worked my ass off, evolved, and persevered. I love and respect all the different schools of drag...

But more, much more than this, I did it my way.
    Which would suck for her, because it would completely devalue her chosen form of drag. If she wins, then good for her, I just hope it doesn't come with the backlash of "She just won because she got the pity vote".

Aside from that, in other news regarding Drag Racers and gay culture:

San Diego University students are calling gay culture and drag "sinful" and are protesting an event Manila Luzon was hosting on their campus to promote gay awareness: http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com/201...lic-loons.html

Dragopolis comes out on May 6th (yaaaaay): https://www.facebook.com/Dragopolis?fref=ts

And from LogoTV's Facebook page:

Rhode Island has legalized gay marriage! Yaaaay!
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-24 at 10:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Manila is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I KNOW right. It bummed me out that no one could pick up on her sarcasm. She has a great way of driving a point home. I live for The Lady Luzon.