Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    Not saying that, but it looks like something hit from the left... maybe thats where the tank was that exploded and caused the larger explosion?
    Probably just something combusting.

Yea i wasent saying lolnorthkoreadidit or lolobamadidit, just pointing it out incase others missed it because its not something we could see from the other angles.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    Yea i wasent saying lolnorthkoreadidit or lolobamadidit, just pointing it out incase others missed it because its not something we could see from the other angles.
    yeah i spent like 30 minutes rapidly pausing/unpausing trying to find it.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well, maybe he was attached to his hat and it was an emotional sort of hurt.
    ...I got to admit that it was a very clean cap he was wearing. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I know this topic already kinda' died, but I've read some interesting information in the newspaper today:

About 3/4 of the town of West claims Czech heritage. Most of them have ancestors that came about 4 generations ago from the town of Frenštát pod Radhoštěm. Incidentally, in this very town, two months ago, there was a gas explosion that killed I think about 7 people and took a whole block of flats down. Seems like it's an unlucky year for the people of Frenštát, wherever they may live.
    Not sure I want to pin this on lack of luck but more of the stupidity to put a static bomb smack in the middle of residences and nursing homes.
    It is surreal borderlining a tragicomedy.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Not sure I want to pin this on lack of luck but more of the stupidity to put a static bomb smack in the middle of residences and nursing homes.
    More like the other way around (the fertilizer plant was there first), but the municipality still needs to be beaten severely for allowing this kind of insane zoning.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    More like the other way around (the fertilizer plant was there first), but the municipality still needs to be beaten severely for allowing this kind of insane zoning.
    Yes might be the other way around but it does not really matter. That a plant of housing are allowed to coexist in such a tight space is beyond me.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post

It's way more common than most people think. The plant is there first, and it attracts workers and shipping, and the town grows around it. What is now a fairly large city near here, Frisco, is having to pay millions of dollars to get rid of an old refinery that is now toxic. But guess what was there first? The refinery. And guess who lobbied to build neighborhoods around it? The homebuilders, because previous zoning had left the area less-crowded than the rest of the city. They knew it was there, and the builders still pushed to have the area rezoned.

There are sooo many other toxic or otherwise dangerous small plants around the country. It's a failure of the system as a whole, not just any one small part.

And really, it's arguably not a failure at all. The accidents are uncommon and widespread. They're tragic, but to the people making the decisions to spend the money to isolate/inspect/regulate/protect/etc them, it's all about cost-benefit, and these are generally within 'acceptable losses'. Cold, but common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    They're tragic, but to the people making the decisions to spend the money to isolate/inspect/regulate/protect/etc them, it's all about cost-benefit, and these are generally within 'acceptable losses'. Cold, but common.
    Where "acceptable losses"=="any and all", because it's not their costs. By the time the butcher's bill comes due, they've already bugged off and possibly gone out of business.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Where "acceptable losses"=="any and all", because it's not their costs. By the time the butcher's bill comes due, they've already bugged off and possibly gone out of business.
    I don't totally disagree. There are certainly cases of gross negligence and/or taking risk too far, and some of the evidence coming out seems to indicate that's likely the situation in West.

However, it also kind of reminds me of the 'furor' over Nuclear Power. This being a developed country, most of our 'Nuclear accidents' involve leaks of radiation that are less than background level, at the very worse. Yet it still brings the people out of the woodwork who sit there and go "ban all the nuclear power plants how can you put something so dangerous in our city bluh bluh bluh bluh." Sometimes reward over risk is legitimate.

Not every industrial accident was malicious. Not every town with a plant of some kind is "stupid". Yes, it would be nice if they could all be isolated in an industrial park, but that's not always doable, especially in such a small town. And even in an industrial park, people still work there. Sometimes accidents are going to happen, but that doesn't mean we "ban all the nuclear power plants" and then sit in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post

Is probably what you are talking about.
    Most likely there was some of the product being stored outside (or was moved outside when the fire started, or it was outside in the process of being loaded into a shipping container). Once heat from the fire reached it, it probably initiated the chain reaction (because more oxygen is available outside, and there could have been industrial machinery parked out there with full fuel tanks, and as we all know Ammonium Nitrate + hydrocarbons = uber high explosive. And once that chain reaction started, it pretty much took everything combustible with it.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I know this topic already kinda' died, but I've read some interesting information in the newspaper today:

About 3/4 of the town of West claims Czech heritage. Most of them have ancestors that came about 4 generations ago from the town of Frenštát pod Radhoštěm. Incidentally, in this very town, two months ago, there was a gas explosion that killed I think about 7 people and took a whole block of flats down. Seems like it's an unlucky year for the people of Frenštát, wherever they may live.
    That is some very dark irony. It's kind of like the guy who survived Hiroshima and moved to Nagasaki afterwards. (And somehow he survived that too).
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-04-23 at 04:24 PM.