AOE on H tortos bats

Just got my H thunderforged main hand weapon so I'm finally out dpsing rogues. Problem is that H progression seem to favor the multi dotters . H tortos bats is giving me problem. Any warrior can give advice on how to max out AOE damage?

I've tried Switching to Bladestorm from DR but it doesn't really improve AOE that significantly.

Was wondering if I should take a 522 2-hander and do arms for sweeping strikes.. Will that work? We are dropping off some classes in favor of more warlocks hunters and Dks

Quote Originally Posted by senturion View Post
    Just got my H thunderforged main hand weapon so I'm finally out dpsing rogues. Problem is that H progression seem to favor the multi dotters . H tortos bats is giving me problem. Any warrior can give advice on how to max out AOE damage?

I've tried Switching to Bladestorm from DR but it doesn't really improve AOE that significantly.

Was wondering if I should take a 522 2-hander and do arms for sweeping strikes.. Will that work? We are dropping off some classes in favor of more warlocks hunters and Dks

First of all, nice job to actually killing bats on HC tortis, but I guess it's 10man, but really best tactic is to kite bats on HC and not do aoe on them. Second, sweeping strikes only apply for one additional target and won't get you anywhere dmg wise. Bladestorm is optimal for bats and I would stick to it. If you have a hard time still with aoe i would maybe save a CD for bats, like BB, but they usually die too fast for it to be worth it. Glyph of raging wind would be a wise choice aswell, and have tank to pull bats to melee.

25man actually. Bats seem to stay up abit too long. Hope to down the tortise tonight .. Hope they don't sub warriors out for mor AOE classes..

I run Fury TG for it; using Bladestorm + Bloodbath every second set of bats works. Use Raging Wind Glyph and make sure you Heroic Leap for every bats too. If you're an Engineer using Frag Belt is also massive damage for them.

Last time I did it with 295k (10m), forgetting Raging Wind and dying at the end - so can still do decent numbers as Fury.

Arms is quite strong at it too from what I've heard (haven't personally tried it), but Bladestorm + Thunder Clap for Deep Wounds does quite large damage.

Unfortunately neither will be as good as DK's/Locks/Hunters from an AoE perspective though, which are doing ~400k+ on top parses. Comparing to the ~300k from top Fury parses.

25man actually. Bats seem to stay up abit too long. Hope to down the tortise tonight .. Hope they don't sub warriors out for mor AOE classes..
    That was our issue aswell, bats didn't die fast enough, the best tactic then is to kite, we use monk for this, more focus on boss and he will die faster, and then you can also help with turtles, since they can be a bitch sometimes :P

10+ Year Old Account

Don't play arms. Use BS. Save CDs for bats if you're killing. First bats you'll have all CDs, next set you won't have BS but you can WW/RB @ 3 stacks and heroic leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Don't play arms. Use BS. Save CDs for bats if you're killing. First bats you'll have all CDs, next set you won't have BS but you can WW/RB @ 3 stacks and heroic leap.

^ that. I saved my CDs for bats as well, you'll do good amount of damage. The Arms warrior in my guild can keep up though and do high dps, its not sweeping strike that does the most AoE dmg, its probably because we couldn't kill them fast enough and his deep wounds would keep ticking. Anyway so we kite them now.
    Last edited by Wrekon; 2013-04-18 at 04:07 AM.

I went to check some logs and indeed that BS/BB appears to be the way to go. Unfortunately I'm setup for SMF not TG this tier so BS won't be as strong for me. Pala DK or Monk tank for adds?

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 04:08 AM ----------

Is the kiting bats strat good ? There was a suggestion yesterday. I rember some thread saying that kiting was much more risky and should stick to original plan of AOE

I went to check some logs and indeed that BS/BB appears to be the way to go. Unfortunately I'm setup for SMF not TG this tier so BS won't be as strong for me. Pala DK or Monk tank for adds?

Is the kiting bats strat good ? There was a suggestion yesterday. I rember some thread saying that kiting was much more risky and should stick to original plan of AOE

SMF is still good with BS and BB, make sure you have recklessness up and skull banner also, if you want to kill bats quickly.

Yes kiting works. You need a good kiter...ie monk or DK, that know what they are doing..

10+ Year Old Account

SMF is still decent for AoE just not as strong.

For tortos, go full out AoE spec. Spec into Bladestorm and Bloodbath, and Glyph Death From Above, Raging Wind and Whirldwind.

What you want to do is save all your Cds for the first set of bats, and when the tank have them in position, pop everything and go mental on them. on the second set, use normal AoE rotation, on the third wave you'll have Bladestorm again, 5:th normal AoE, on the 6:th wave you'll have all your cds upp again.

If you run with two warriors in your group, make sure you stagger your bladestorms, so the first warrior use it on the first wave, and the second on the second wave etc.

In my Guild we have two Warriors, our Prot pala, a WW Monk, and a few others AoEing the bats, and that's enough to kill them in time.

(http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9e...?s=4540&e=4969 Overall damage (I still had 2x 517 weapons when we did this) and http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9e...969&target=186 is the damage to the Bats).

Regarding wich tank should tank the bats. Get your Paladin to tank them. If he got any vengence he will get healing aggro on all the bats when they spawn, and he'll have no issue what so ever to pick them upp. On top of that Prot Paladins do insane amounts on damage with high Vengence.

Something that usualy can go wrong if you go with the AoE tactic is that the bat tank dies, eather due to shield dropping durring the stun, or all the bats syncing their meeleswing timers. The way to avoid loosing the shield durring the stun, is to make sure the bats are stunned aswell, get a Monk or Shaman to stun them. To avoid the bats syncing upp is to not stun them when they don't need to be stuned.

PS: A nice trick to get the shield / get free rage. Make a macro to charge the Humming crystals, the charge procs the shield, and you get quite alot of free rage if you charge on CD.

Put /focus on the Crystal closest to the meele camp.

#showtooltip Charge
    /cast [@focus,exists,harm,nodead] Charge
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Thanks for the reply. Are you TG or SMF? Do your team aim spare turtles at bats or at turtles? Also, do your pala tank lose aggro or constantly get hits so hard that he loses shields every 2 second? I go BS + Bb and even without my crit banner and reck, the bats go on me. We have a good roster of 40 and so we can play around with dps choices. We ran 4 locks, 3 hunters, 4 Druids, 1 sham, 1 warrior, 1 rogue and 1 DK because warlocks appear to have the strongest AOE. Should we switch in two warriors? Looking at your logs it appears that warriors with BS can do wonders. Currently I'm using my cooldowns on pull.. And naked Bladestorm with no cd on first bats. Whirlwind the 2nd wave. Bladestorm again on 3rd.

We die because bat tank dies or loses aggro. Usually around 4-5th stomp things go downhill . I'm averaging 220-250k dps on attempts .Im SMF and around 52+ ilevel. I'm not using cd on Bladestorm current because of aggro issues
    Last edited by senturion; 2013-04-19 at 02:15 AM.

Is our dps an issue?
    If the bats die in time I'd guess the damage is fine. Kiting certainly is a good strat on that specific encounter. It's really not hard for a competent monk tank to execute especially with enough misdirects.

Are you TG or SMF? Do your team aim spare turtles at bats or at turtles? Also, do your pala tank lose aggro or constantly get hits so hard that he loses shields every 2 second? I go BS + Bb and even without my crit banner and reck, the bats go on me.
    I was TG for that.
    If we have spare turtles upp we kick them into the boss, if they hit the bats that is a bonus.
    Our Pala tank has some issues picking upp the first set of bats, due to not having any vengence. We let him take as much time as he needs + we have our hunter(s) and Rogue(s) MD them to him. When he has good enough threat on them he calls out on Mumble, and we start to AoE.
    If you have a designated healer on him and he uses his active mitigation freely he dosn't have any major issues keeping the shield upp. If the shield drop he calls for an AoE stun + some hard healing to restack a new shield.

We have a good roster of 40 and so we can play around with dps choices. We ran 4 locks, 3 hunters, 4 Druids, 1 sham, 1 warrior, 1 rogue and 1 DK because warlocks appear to have the strongest AOE. Should we switch in two warriors? Looking at your logs it appears that warriors with BS can do wonders. Currently I'm using my cooldowns on pull.. And naked Bladestorm with no cd on first bats. Whirlwind the 2nd wave. Bladestorm again on 3rd.

We die because bat tank dies or loses aggro. Usually around 4-5th stomp things go downhill . I'm averaging 220-250k dps on attempts .Im SMF and around 52+ ilevel. I'm not using cd on Bladestorm current because of aggro issues
    The DPS setup you run with shouldn't realy matter, as long as it's range heavy to make sure you keep the turtles at bay. Different guilds use different classes for their AoE. My guild rely on our Warriors, Monks and DKS maily for our AoE, while others use Warlocks, hunters or the tanks. The benefit of having uss warriors do it is that we don't lose that much single target damage when we use our AoE rotation (Same goes for DKS, Ferals, Hunters and Warlocks).

As I said in my last post, save your CDS for the AoE (If you are asigned to it). Make sure you stagger your Bladestorm usage if you have more them one Warrior in the raid. If you have more them 35% crit / If you want to make sure your Bladestorm always is strong, eather reck or Banner with your first BS, and the other on your second BS.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Deleted
    Arms warriors dont use sweeping strikes in AoE, only in cleave/less than 5targets. Its all just Whirldwind/Thunderclap for bleeds.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gu...?s=7513&e=8083

Thank you for everyone that contributed. We downed Tortos last night.

To contribute to those who are still progressing this boss, we had used a kiting strat work monk on adds and DK tank boss. 2 DPS full time on adds (DK, Rogue), constant tricks and MD.

All melee full time tortos. Everyone else full time turtle. 1 thing to watch out for is the enraged timer.. If you don't make proper use of turtles, it will be very tight.

Thank you for everyone that contributed. We downed Tortos last night.

To contribute to those who are still progressing this boss, we had used a kiting strat work monk on adds and DK tank boss. 2 DPS full time on adds (DK, Rogue), constant tricks and MD.

All melee full time tortos. Everyone else full time turtle. 1 thing to watch out for is the enraged timer.. If you don't make proper use of turtles, it will be very tight.
    Gratz mate, the best for many in the beginning is the kiting tacc since ppl aren't so well geared yet for HC, but when ppl get descent gear you can just AOE those bloodsuckers down.