Poll: Answer it already!

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

As an American, would you rather 2-parties, 1-party or no parties?

Sorry to exclude other countries. If you still want to respond, just reply to it and state that you're not an American. I'd like to try and keep the poll American though.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Political parties? I think there needs to be more than just the democrats and republicans.

Well I do like to party. Are the parties the same night, or on different nights? I always feel bad leaving one place and going to a different one. It feels like slighting the first group of people.

I have no idea what you're really trying to ask.

Given the Constitutionally laid out structure of Congress, I think a two-party system is an inevitable consequences. I'm fine with that. It's suboptimal in some way, but I'm not sure an optimal system is possible.

A multiparty system would greatly decrease productivity because anything in the current system that requires a MAJORITY vote would be even more difficult to do, thus slowing down our already bogged system more. The problem with our current system is that Democrats and Republicans make the rules that new parties have to play by. For a multiparty system to come about we would have to amend the constitution and that just isn't going to happen with our current system. So we're stuck with what we have unless something amazing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I have no idea what you're really trying to ask.

Given the Constitutionally laid out structure of Congress, I think a two-party system is an inevitable consequences. I'm fine with that. It's suboptimal in some way, but I'm not sure an optimal system is possible.
    The constitution was written without political parties in mind. The founding fathers didn't want / intend for political parties to form.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    rather redo the whole political system something along the lines of what germany does where the seats go to the people who get the highest % of votes no matter what party they represent. They actually have to work together for the best interest of the people instead of their parties
    Proportional representation would be one way to start a multiparty system, but Dems and Reps write the rule book so that's unlikely =/
    Last edited by Ðuracell; 2013-04-18 at 04:24 AM.

"Scientists explore what is; engineers create what has not been." -Theodore Von Karman

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    rather redo the whole political system something along the lines of what germany does where the seats go to the people who get the highest % of votes no matter what party they represent. They actually have to work together for the best interest of the people instead of their parties

3 parties.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Impossible to not have parties and a 1-party system is worse than anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    Political parties? I think there needs to be more than just the democrats and republicans.
    This ^

Coming from the UK where we have 3 main parties and then a ton of smaller ones I laugh how the US calls itself a democracy when it only has 2 parties to vote from.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    More the merrier. It would be great if we could have representatives from each party from each state instead of this utter polarization we have from state to state.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I think we could use more political parties not fewer.

The more parties the better, the problem lies in how these parties communicate with the general public, USing televised media to reach the public gives the filthy rich an advantage because they can use more televised media to reach the people while the less wealthy "often better choices" don't really have a public voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ðuracell View Post
    The constitution was written without political parties in mind. The founding fathers didn't want / intend for political parties to form.
    Intentions in one hand and shit in the other, let me know which fills up first. The structure of the American government almost inevitably leads to a two party system, regardless of intent.

Why is there no option for more then 2 parties?

And yet we have had a multi party system from the beginning. :-P

Proportional representation would be one way to start a multiparty system, but Dems and Reps write the rule book so that's unlikely =/
    Or a system where you can vote for more than one person. It trends towards a more moderate candidate which means things get done easier.
    Last edited by Fayolynn; 2013-04-18 at 04:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ashamed of both parties.

Republicans blaming Democrats, Democrats blaming Republicans.
    Republicans want A B C and D, and are opposed to W X Y and Z.
    Democrats want W X Y and Z, and are opposed to A B C and D.

Sad thing is, in my lifetime I will never see a "Third Party" president.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Why is there no option for more then 2 parties?

And yet we have had a multi party system from the beginning. :-P
    Because, the three that I posted were the only ones that made sense. No one would vote for a third party or they would have already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Because, the three that I posted were the only ones that made sense. No one would vote for a third party or they would have already.
    thats why the whole system needs rehauled

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I'm ashamed of both parties.

Republicans blaming Democrats, Democrats blaming Republicans.
    Republicans want A B C and D, and are opposed to W X Y and Z.
    Democrats want W X Y and Z, and are opposed to A B C and D.

Sad thing is, in my lifetime I will never see a "Third Party" president.
    You will never see a third party president without a reform tot he way we hold elections. First past the post voting enforces a 2 party system.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    But we will never see a zero party or one party system without a reform to our election system which means those chocies are just as likely to happen as a more then 2 party system. :-P
    Last edited by Fayolynn; 2013-04-18 at 04:51 AM.