Poll: Answer it already!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'd prefer a system in which third parties were viable.

All those people saying "let's get rid of political parties" - yeah, fat chance. It goes with the territory of representative institutions.
    Yeah, you really can't get rid of political parties completely, or at least not without shredding the right to assembly and freedom of association. Although you could decrease or increase how much of a direct influence party leadership has on actual policy.

Personally I think the problem isn't even with political parties themselves, but with how our elections are structured. I personally would like to see the House of Representatives converted into a proportional representative system where people vote for parties rather then individuals. That way if half the vote in a state goes to one party and half the vote goes to the other party, then the State's delegation is split down the middle. Voters would know which individuals will be given a party's first seat, second seat, third seat...etc., and party leadership would be forbidden from changing the list of candidates within a few months of the election.

Then with single-seat elections (Senators, President, etc.), it would use a preferential system. So instead of voting for an individual, people would vote for a first choice, a second choice, a third choice, and maybe even a 4th or 5th choice. This would eliminate the spoiler effect, where a vote for a 3rd party implicitly supports the Democrat or Republican candidate someone despises the most, and allow people to vote purely on their own conscious for their first choice and vote strategically with their second or third. If 3rd party candidates start routinely winning 15-20% of the vote in the first tally, they might be taken more seriously in subsequent elections.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the words of the founding fathers

factions are a bad idea

well madison and washington thought so at least. hamilton and jefferson were ok with them and had them... franklin... was porking a few hookers and did not comment

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Sorry to exclude other countries. If you still want to respond, just reply to it and state that you're not an American. I'd like to try and keep the poll American though.
    How could anyone wish for just 1 party? That's the death of democracy.

No parties seems much prefered to either of the two other choices, because it'd mean more choice. I'm not from the US though, so what do I know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Resident Alien.... Can't vote, yet still entitled to a voice.... The poll actually sucks.
    Why? It doesn't reflect the obvious other choice, many Americans would love to have.... More than 2 party's.
    Every American in my surrounding, be it friends, neighbors or customers I talk to, all of them agree with the 2 party system being the problem at hand. Anecdotal? Maybe, but then again, it doesn't make their opinions invalid. And at least it's evidence that there is a certain high percentage that would like to see the gridlock broken, and not kept, or made worse through a 1 party system.. 1 party is pretty damn close to a dictatorship.. The moment that happens, I pack my stuff and am outta here..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Why is there no option for more then 2 parties?
    Because that would require a functional voting system rather than FPTP and the electoral collage.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I think America should become a constitutional monarchy, with congress disbanded and Arnold Schwarzenegger given all executive powers.

Also, I only just learnt that Chrome's built-in spellchecker will tell you when you've successfully spelled Schwarzenegger.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I with Jefferson T. "If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Abolish all political parties and and the idea of the "Professional" politician. It needs to revert back to how it was, where elected officials where typically the people who had a big impact in the community and country. People who actaully did good things for us prior to being elevated in office. Also the mud slinging needs to stop, I really dont give a flying fuck if somone smoked pot or read a book with a shadey title. Hell I dont even care if they cheated on their wife. I am just tired of hearing about pointless crap and he/she did this or that.

Hell this last election I heard almost nothing on policies and plans till the last couple months but I knew about every skeleton in the closest of the two canidates.

While we are at it can we get rid of special inrest groups and bring back voteing on issues among the people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because that would require a functional voting system rather than FPTP and the electoral collage.
    Well... it could start with more simple things too.... For example invite more than the Presidential candidates of the two parties to the Presidential debates on TV.
    That this is not the case, is kind of disturbing to me. Those other guys may not win the race. But they could at least give some very interesting twist to the whole procedure, and may raise some very inconvenient questions for the two big shots. And it would certainly not hurt the USA's democratic credibility to invite more than those two guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    My girl wants to party all the time...

The more legitimate options we have in our political spectrum, the better. As is, two is simply too few to notice any major difference as they just say the same things.

One thing to consider, US does not have a two party system. We have a population that historically is unwilling to vote for an alternative to the two main parties. We actually had everything from the dental party of Vermin Supreme to libertarians in Garry Johnson to the green party running in this election. It's not the system it self that is the problem, but what happens behind the scenes with things like lobbying, that creates the situation we have. With campaign donations being so valuable, special interest chooses the two candidates to invest in. Without seeming like a legitimate threat, all other parties simply do not garner the financial support and the seeming relevance that funding confirms.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I think America should become a constitutional monarchy, with congress disbanded and Arnold Schwarzenegger given all executive powers.

Also, I only just learnt that Chrome's built-in spellchecker will tell you when you've successfully spelled Schwarzenegger.
    Them damn Austrians, taking over the World.... again..... Google Chrome is theirs already, where does it stop? lol
    Arnold in power.. Oh lordy.. The flag will be changed too then.. White Cross on White Background.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Demolition Man did it. All Schwarzenegger does is create an environment where Wesley Snipes is blond. Horrible...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Demolition Man did it. All Schwarzenegger does is create an environment where Wesley Snipes is blond. Horrible...
    That was Judge Dredd with Stallone, wasn't it? I mean the blond Snipes. no not Judge Dredd.. Demolition Man but with Stalone. See I'm getting confuzzeld

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That was Judge Dredd with Stallone, wasn't it? I mean the blond Snipes. no not Judge Dredd.. Demolition Man but with Stalone. See I'm getting confuzzeld
    No, that was demolition man. Judge Dredd is based on a comic book and had Rob Schneider as the costar. There is also a new one that has no people I know in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106697/

Arnold is not actually in it. He is only reffered to as the president. Kinda how Arnold remarks on Stalone movie posters in Last Action Hero.
    Last edited by Felya; 2013-04-18 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    No, that was demolition man. Judge Dredd is based on a comic book and had Rob Schneider as the costar. There is also a new one that has no people I know in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106697/
    Better to pretend that version was never made.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/

Was much better. Like in the comic, you never see Dredd's face.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I don't know if this has been said already, but i really hate the fact that it's only a two party system. The Democratic and Republican parties have effectively shut out every other political machine in this country. The libertarians, green party, etc. Something i have a huge problem with? The fact that the democrats and republicans run the election committee. That should be against the law, i mean how immoral is it to run your own debates, choose your own questions, and be able to control the entire television scene all while pushing out every other party that thinks differently than them? Does that sound familiar? Variety is what bring the best options, choosing between two parties that historically both have made huge errors, is not something i think will help develop us as a country further.

Another thing I personally dislike is how much these campaigns are beginning to cost, and how even though damn near every politician we've elected to office has gone against what he's said he'd do when elected (i.e. Get out of the middle east, close Guantanamo bay, become less dependent on foreign fuels) we continue to not only elect them, but RE-elect them! Don't get me wrong, i believe that though Obama-care isn't the solution to healthcare reform we need in the US i do believe that is a huge step in the right direction. It's hard to do much when pharmaceutical corporations own our congressmen and senators.

Anyway, yeah there need to be more options. I don't think a no party system would do much, parties are like the labor-unions of politics. They help create a loud and clear voice of people that share similar ideas. I firmly believe that EVERY political party deserves to have their ideas heard on an even playing field, not something manipulated by the older-brother type parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenomina
    Excuse me, can you tell me if this loincloth smell like chloroform?
    Quote Originally Posted by Izhara
    Goblins are green gnomes? Not quite. When you punt a gnome, everyone has a good laugh. When you punt a goblin, everything in a 30-mile radius is incinerated.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can find interviews with Ron Paul on why he didn't run as libertarian, a lot of it speaks of the problems not necessarily with our system. But, a problem that is rooted in financial and organizational support that make it impossible for an alternative to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Well... it could start with more simple things too.... For example invite more than the Presidential candidates of the two parties to the Presidential debates on TV.
    Not going to help given the "must get absolute majority of electoral college votes" thing.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    What we have does not work. So get rid of them all!
    I like sandwiches

Poll should have an option for more parties. My vote is for 3 or more parties.
    Last edited by flareside; 2013-04-18 at 04:43 PM.
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3