Fire & Heroic: Horridon 25m

Looking at logs, I cant quite understand what fire mages are doing to do very high dps on Heroic Horridon (25man). Could anyone explain what you do for the gates etc? spam tempest everything, and spread combust to multiple adds? or do you combust horridon when he smashes the gate. Also, whats the best way to deal with the Direhorn Spirit?

Any tips/help would be appreciated!

Combustion/Spread every time the 2 extra adds drop from a gate. Combustion will be up in time every single time. Don't bother multi-dotting if your raid team is having trouble getting down a specific add type (i.e. First venom priest dead before effusion comes out). Fourth gate kind of sucks because you are most likely on decurse duty and it is important to only have 1 beast shaman up at a time so combustion cleaving is sketchy just in case you knock off a shaman from the bear early.

Use this macro for Spirit:
    /target Direhorn Spirit
    /cast Nether Tempest
    /targetlasttarget

My cooldown usage:

Prepot, Images, Pre-cast pyro on Horridon.

Farraki Gate: Save AT/POM/Combustion until the 2nd set of Wastewalker adds get down. Cleave combustion/Ignite.

Venom gate: PoM/Combustion combo on 2nd set of Venom Priests. Spread

Frost: AT/POM/Combustion when frost lord comes out (these guys have a ridiculous amount of HP and a copious amount of adds, spread as much as possible.)

Amani Gate: I usually just end up pooling my cooldowns until final phase during this gate unless my timing is on point. Spend most of my time decursing and focusing down Shamans/Bears, interrupting chain lightning, and moving away from totems.

Blow lust,pot,at,pyro,combustion on War God at the end and cleave your combustion onto Horridon. Always keep an eye out for your Spirit whenever you get it and bind the macro to an easy key. (I set mine to 'r')

Edit: Overall damage meters are probably the least important in this fight (until the end) because scumbag dps will tunnel on Horridon due to the damage buff. If you want to see how you are doing on performance look at World of Logs and sort it so you can see overall dmg dealt to Add X, Y, Z, etc.
    Last edited by Rethys; 2013-04-18 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethys View Post
    Use this macro for Spirit:
    /target Direhorn Spirit
    /cast Nether Tempest
    /targetlasttarget
    Haven't tried this fight yet but had a couple of questions
    Does this work if there are multiple Direhorn Spirits (i.e. multiple ppl targetted)? Or is it that the only direhorn spirit that a player can see is one that is targetting him?
    ALso I heard dots don't knock the beast back (but that might be about the ticks themselves). Does the application of the dot knock the beast back?

You only see one Direhorn spirit (your own) everyone else's is invisible and therefore, untargetable.
    DoT ticks do not knock him back but the application of the dot does. NT is instant and doesn't have a facing requirement so it is the best spell to use in that scenario.

Deleted
    My only tip (apart from the macro) is to not panic and be calm. I don't know why - but I personally panic like crazy by the 4th gate with the add. I'm more concerned with that than tactics/ adds to kill etc. I have no explanation for it, and my damage just plummets. For the final phase, I am not stacked at all and trying to position my add and keeping myself up with temp shield and Healthstone. I.E. Don't play like me!

Not sure how it works on 25 man though, for all I know, you might not even get affected by it

Can you cleave from Horridon to war god jalak?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbites View Post
    Can you cleave from Horridon to war god jalak?
    u can if u position jalak underneath horridon

IB spreading is annoying on this fight

its easy for the boss to be a spread target (onto)
    but hard to use the boss as a seed target (off of)

Deleted
    Personally i changed spec to frost on this fight. Only because of the direhorn, i found it hard to get time to build ignites, basically i had to press the macro once every 4-5 fireball casts. before i got direhorn i would be around 200k dps, when i got it i dropped to 140-50, and missed/was late on a lot of combustions because i could not find time for the build up.

As frost in mostly fire gear, im doing steady 160-170k. And only have to do little work to keep the direhorn away, because i just send pet on it. at some point it will push direhorn so far away that it disappears for a while and you can send pet on horridon / adds, until it return. it requires a bit of management, with attack commands, i start with pet on assist and as soon as i get direhorn i put it on passive and control it with attack commands.

Havent killed him yet though we had him on ~50% with wargod down a few times tonight.

Deleted
    As someone who is currently rank 2 on this fight in 25 man heroic with 332k dps I can try to tell you what I did. I used all my combustions on the boss altho sadly I didnt get much opportunity to spread it to anything. I used NT on literally everything that moved and dps'd the key targets. As it was a farm kill that poses us no real problems there is some freedom for meter padding although I do do respectable damage on the important targets. Other than that, just be alert, keeping NT up and spreading pyroblast and ignite DoTs to whatever you can. After the final door, yell at your tanks to get the War God close to boss and go crazy with BL and try to get a 200k+ ignite and combust and spread and stay on boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenevieva View Post
    As someone who is currently rank 2 on this fight in 25 man heroic with 332k dps I can try to tell you what I did. I used all my combustions on the boss altho sadly I didnt get much opportunity to spread it to anything. I used NT on literally everything that moved and dps'd the key targets. As it was a farm kill that poses us no real problems there is some freedom for meter padding although I do do respectable damage on the important targets. Other than that, just be alert, keeping NT up and spreading pyroblast and ignite DoTs to whatever you can. After the final door, yell at your tanks to get the War God close to boss and go crazy with BL and try to get a 200k+ ignite and combust and spread and stay on boss.
    Not what you want to do if you actually want to kill the boss for the first time. Topping and padding charts in an execution/add/decurse/interrupt fight is meaningless, sorry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethys View Post
    Not what you want to do if you actually want to kill the boss for the first time. Topping and padding charts in an execution/add/decurse/interrupt fight is meaningless, sorry.
    Yes its bad in progress but if a boss is on farm and not harming the fight then there is room for this kind of thing, OP question was about how some fire mages are getting high logs and I think that guys post explains it well.

If your progressing you shouldn't be expecting to get an amazing rank as it will require a little dps whoring but when the boss is on farm thats when you can afford to attack the boss more.