Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    1 Tank Tortos Adivce.

    So we have a skilled paladin tank, and bats have been our only real issue, I heard having a solo pally tank going ham on heals and dps instant grabs bats etc. Could I get some advice on this? Also he recently switched the mastery build is haste far better at this point? Heres the armory if you need to see his character. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aught/advanced



    Im also a little confused on how much healing a pally really does with a lot of vengeance is it really that much? With what moves?

  2. #2
    Seal of Insight combined with the Battle Healer glyph is fairly powerful. I would imagine Tortos is one-tankable, but unless your overall DPS is garbage, it's not really necessary.

  3. #3
    Tortos seems like a tough fight to 1-tank, but I assume it's possible with a well-geared tank and healers. As a pally tank that has ~650k HP buffed, I go down really fast just tanking bats if healers are caught off-guard and my CDs aren't up. Add Snapping Bite to that and it seems like a lot of damage to heal through.

    The one time I accidentally ripped aggro off Tortos while tanking bats, I went down within a few seconds.

    If your guild can do it though, I would imagine haste might be better so he can generate HoPo much faster to heal himself. Pally tanks do some great heals through Seal of Insight, Glyph of Battle-healer, Sacred Shield and Word of Glory. I usually do about 40-50% the amount of heals as our healers on most fights.
    Last edited by pld; 2013-04-09 at 05:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Seal of Insight combined with the Battle Healer glyph is fairly powerful. I would imagine Tortos is one-tankable, but unless your overall DPS is garbage, it's not really necessary.
    More so bats going directly to healers and healers can't just stack on our tank the entire fight, And we don't have a hpally with RF to bring them to our tank.


    Any tips to auto pickup bats would be much appreciated, would rather 2 tank.

  5. #5
    High Overlord BellularGaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    125
    I would recommend bringing a hunter or two that are really good at misdirecting. They would have to be good though, hunters should also be kicking turtles as movement does not hurt our dps.
    I am a youtuber! I do daily World of Warcraft news, lore videos, Q&As and long dicussion videos! You can find my channel at http://bit.ly/Bellular

  6. #6
    My advice is don't do it. We had a Druid tank doing bats (only way to get threat is melee range) and he did it fine without misdirects. If your tank is struggling he should step it up.

  7. #7
    I solo tank this myself as a Prot Pala although I'm a haste build, not mastery but that shouldnt have too much of an impact if you are solo tanking. All he really needs to do is attack Tortos, the healing you get from Battle Healer combined with RF will bring them to you every time. You can combine this with say AW or Lights Hammer when they are coming to ensure they definately come to you but it's not necessary.

    Obviously make sure to have a cooldown available when you are tanking both Tortos and the bats, SotR every bite and don't have your back to either mob. And make sure your healers are focusing on him when tanking both too!

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4829&e=5138
    Last edited by Xenoclea; 2013-04-09 at 05:44 PM.

  8. #8
    We have our bat tanking paladin(me) start on Tortos until the first bats come down. That way I have enough vengeance to be doing enough Seal of Insight healing to out aggro the healers. As long as I can convince our DPS to not hit them they will fly straight to me.

  9. #9
    A solo-tank prot paladin using Seal of Insight and Battle Healer = bats will immediately go for him. At this point, you will want the paladin to drop a consecrate/light's hammer and immediately HotR the bats. This tank needs to keep Tortos focus-targeted so that he can see when the boss casts his Bite attack (failure to do so will usually result in the bats getting healed and the tank possibly dying).

    As soon as the prot paladin hits HotR on the bats (keep in mind that he actually has to be targeting the bats. If he's targeting Tortos, the hammer won't hit the bats), your DPS should be able to start. From this point on, the tank should pop a minor cooldown and reposition to guarantee that the bats are not hitting his back.

    Recap: Focus target the boss. RF + Seal of Insight + Battle Healer = bats go straight for the tank. Drop consecrate/light's hammer so that the bats will hit it before/when they reach the tank. Immediately use Hammer of the Righteous on the bats when they arrive. Reposition so the bats are all in front of the tank. Kill the bats. Make sure to use Shield of the Righteous any time Tortos casts Snapping Bite. Oh, and avoid the circles on the ground.

    That's literally all there is to it. If your DPS can hold off long enough for the tank to HotR, they shouldn't pull aggro. If your tank can focus target the boss for ShoR purposes and not get hit in the back, damage shouldn't be an issue. It's pretty easy, especially with a few attempts of practice.

    Warning: If you aren't solo-tanking, do not allow your prot paladin to tank the boss with Seal of Insight... your other tank will likely have major issues acquiring the bats.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    A solo-tank prot paladin using Seal of Insight and Battle Healer = bats will immediately go for him. At this point, you will want the paladin to drop a consecrate/light's hammer and immediately HotR the bats. This tank needs to keep Tortos focus-targeted so that he can see when the boss casts his Bite attack (failure to do so will usually result in the bats getting healed and the tank possibly dying).

    As soon as the prot paladin hits HotR on the bats (keep in mind that he actually has to be targeting the bats. If he's targeting Tortos, the hammer won't hit the bats), your DPS should be able to start. From this point on, the tank should pop a minor cooldown and reposition to guarantee that the bats are not hitting his back.

    Recap: Focus target the boss. RF + Seal of Insight + Battle Healer = bats go straight for the tank. Drop consecrate/light's hammer so that the bats will hit it before/when they reach the tank. Immediately use Hammer of the Righteous on the bats when they arrive. Reposition so the bats are all in front of the tank. Kill the bats. Make sure to use Shield of the Righteous any time Tortos casts Snapping Bite. Oh, and avoid the circles on the ground.

    That's literally all there is to it. If your DPS can hold off long enough for the tank to HotR, they shouldn't pull aggro. If your tank can focus target the boss for ShoR purposes and not get hit in the back, damage shouldn't be an issue. It's pretty easy, especially with a few attempts of practice.

    Warning: If you aren't solo-tanking, do not allow your prot paladin to tank the boss with Seal of Insight... your other tank will likely have major issues acquiring the bats.
    Is there a way to have that kind of aggro from our paladin tank even without tanking this boss? Can he still pull that kind of threat from the bats some how.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Is there a way to have that kind of aggro from our paladin tank even without tanking this boss? Can he still pull that kind of threat from the bats some how.
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Is there a way to have that kind of aggro from our paladin tank even without tanking this boss? Can he still pull that kind of threat from the bats some how.
    No. The reason solo-tanks put out so much threat is because they have so much vengeance from tanking the boss. If they aren't tanking the boss, they won't be putting out nearly as much healing threat on the adds and will have issues out-threating the healers. The key is vengeance + battle healer threat.

    A possible solution is to have the add-tank taunt off the boss-tank when (or, preferably, immediately before) the bats spawn and immediately have the boss-tank taunt back. This will give the add-tank half of the boss-tank's vengeance. If the add tank continues attacking the boss, he will still generate a lot of healing threat, but I cannot say for sure whether or not it will be enough.

    Long story short: You might be able to make it work with the possible solution I provided above, but you'll almost certainly run into more trouble doing it that way than you would if you just had the paladin solo-tanking the boss.

    An alternate solution, assuming bats are consistently going to your healers, is to arrange an AOE stun for the bats. When they start heading for your healers, have, for instance, a warlock hit them with Shadow Fury. This will give your tank 3 seconds of stun time to get to the bats and generate threat on them. The tank will, of course, have to be running towards the bats before they get stunned if they want to get there in time to generate any meaningful threat.

    There are plenty of other solutions that you could work into your strategy. Is a certain healer always getting aggro on the bats? Be prepared to hit that healer with Hand of Protection or Hand of Salvation. At that point, if no one else has attacked the bats, the bats will start heading to another healer. If that healer is on the other side of the room, that gives you a bit of time to pick up the bats. A single paladin, speced for clemency, can probably rotate Salv, Salv, Protection, Protection, Salv, Salv... and that's 6 sets of bats covered (assuming the tank can acquire them while they are running towards another healer).

    That's about all the possible solutions I can come up with right now. Hopefully something in there helps. To be perfectly clear, though, I suggest following my first post as I know 100% that it works, as I've been doing it ever since our first kill.

  12. #12
    1 one tanked it on normal and going to one tank it on heroic. As mentioned before they will go straight after you with the battle healer glyph since you are doing 50k +ish hps which are modified by 500% by rightous fury so that shouldnt be a problem. track your vengeance and snapshot it at its peaks for huge ss shields (ihit ss about 6s before the stomp since at that time bats are still on you and you will have high vengeance that time so you get a huge shield for the stomp) .
    just plan out your cds in advance since bats will spawn every 45 seconds, f.e. avenger->guardian->defender+divine protection (glyphed that is)->avenger->external+protection-> guardian and so on. As long as most bats die before the stomps and you are timing your sotr for snaps and stomps they shouldnt be that hard on you.

  13. #13
    I run a haste build on my pally and have about 730k hp raid buffed (10 man). We had an attempt where our warrior tank dc'd on the pull and I ended up 1 tanking it for a while. We didn't get the kill, but we did get the boss to 30% which was a lot better than i thought we would do. As others have mentioned, I found it very helpful to have our hunter MD the bats to me. I was using at least 2 cooldowns every bat phase (glyphed divine plea is awesome) often with external CDs as well (pain suppression), etc. As others have noted, if you use hammer of the righteous on the boss, the debuff doesn't spread to the bats, so you must switch to bats and hammer them then switch back to boss to keep track of Snapping Bite.

  14. #14
    I solo tank it on normal, and we did 2 hrs of heroic progres on him were i solotanked but i wont do that next time, there is no room for error at all if you solo tank it, and as others have said there is no reason to do it.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoclea View Post
    I solo tank this myself as a Prot Pala although I'm a haste build, not mastery but that shouldnt have too much of an impact if you are solo tanking. All he really needs to do is attack Tortos, the healing you get from Battle Healer combined with RF will bring them to you every time. You can combine this with say AW or Lights Hammer when they are coming to ensure they definately come to you but it's not necessary.

    We did 10m HC progress this evening and the plan was me solo tanking the encounter (prot paladin 512 ilvl) all out haste.
    I specced prism to get some additional burstheal when the bats spawn, and went crazy on the boss.
    Seal of insight with battle mender glyph pretty much no brainer, I thought it would be a walk to get aggro from the bats,
    just as normal mode always was. When the bats spawned, I immediately did prism while continuing to attack tortos and selfhealing etc
    (I had about 50 - 70k HPS). The bats ran into shadow priest and boomkin EVERY TRY.
    After eliminating boomkin starfall and halo, the adds still went off to kill dps instead of coming to me.
    I got initial aggro and they went my direction, but then turned away and there was nothing I could do to get them back,
    even casting WoG didn't help (and killed me because no shotr buff up).

    Now I'm no noob at playing prot paladin and I'm pretty sure I did everything correct, I know heal aggro got modified by 500% fury,
    so why dps still got aggro from them without doing dmg ON them?
    Passive dps offheal? Even if that is so, I had double the heal other dps had, even closing on our real healers. Why do the adds still turn away?
    Do dps mess shit up, or is there any mechanics I don't see? Normal Mode always worked perfectly that way. It's not even that bats run
    into healers, healers are pretty much around me. It's always dps, and they don't even go for bats, they do turtles normally.

    I don't get it, and it honestly frustrates to mess around that way, while RL is blaming me for not doing enough heal aggro. ..
    Last edited by Lychnuchus; 2013-04-18 at 07:27 PM.
    | Lychnuchus | Männlych | Natürlych | Gebrechlych |

    f'*$% your infractions, my signature was smaller than 500x100 and >50 kb. Someone needs a life.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychnuchus View Post
    Now I'm no noob at playing prot paladin and I'm pretty sure I did everything correct, I know heal aggro got modified by 500% fury,
    so why dps still got aggro from them without doing dmg ON them?
    because they're attacking them.

  17. #17
    Skada telling neither boomkin nor shadow did direct damage on bats, both are told to kill turtles and they did.
    That's why I wonder how the heck can they have aggro.
    | Lychnuchus | Männlych | Natürlych | Gebrechlych |

    f'*$% your infractions, my signature was smaller than 500x100 and >50 kb. Someone needs a life.

  18. #18
    There's really 2 things you have to know to single tank it --

    1) It's very easy for the bats to be behind you, and if they are you will go down so fast no healer will be able to react to it. On the initial bat pickup you need to shimmy around to find a a spot where both the boss and the bats are going to be in front of you.

    2) Always save your SotR for the boss's specials, because the combination of taking the boss's special attack / the stun while the bats are hitting you is where all of the burst comes from.

  19. #19
    Pit Lord Odina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,260
    We are by no means a cutting edge guild and we only raid 4 hours a week. We went with the 1 pallie tank for this fight and it made it a breeze!

    This is the kind of DPS you can expect
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...?s=5340&e=5659

    And this is the healing you can get :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...?s=5340&e=5659

    This is our tanks armory... so it's not a case of overgearing it :
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lness/advanced


    *fight went a bit longer than normal becuase we were 9 manning everything... damn you 10th raider not logging in!* With your 2nd tank going offspec and aoeing bats + beating on boss this fight = GG!

  20. #20
    The Patient Valkari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychnuchus View Post
    Skada telling neither boomkin nor shadow did direct damage on bats, both are told to kill turtles and they did.
    That's why I wonder how the heck can they have aggro.
    I was noticing the same thing while tanking bats last week, generally they would go for the healers (which we have marked, so I can just throw beer at them), but sometimes they would just head straight for our shadow priest, who was just DPSing the turtles. Not positive on spriest mechanics, but maybe they had a spike on whatever group heal they do?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •