Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Do we NEED a new race/class?

I know it may be a sort of tradition that a new expansion adds another class or race to the list of playables but, do we really need another race or class so soon after the introduction of the Pandaren and the Monk class?

MoP is still less than a year old and judging by the timescale Blizzard have been sticking to over this expansion, it could very well be the shortest lived expansion yet.

One of the big things that came with MoP was the amount of effort Blizzard were going to just so that we could have 1 extra character slot on servers. So that people who already had 10 max level characters could be happy that they wouldn't have to delete any or have to start fresh on another server just to play a Monk. There was also talk of somehow allowing players to have access to all their toons on one server. So it would in effect allow players to have all 50 possible toons on the same realm and they could all benefit from heirlooms and the gold that is sat there in your main's wallet/purse.

At present, we have 13 races and 11 classes. At what point does it become too much?
    Don't get me wrong though, I love the diversity and would love to play an Arrakoa or Ogre or hell, a Furbolg would be cool for me. But really, a new race with another new racial and another class brings more balance issues. And eventually, you're going to run out of meaningful races/classes to add to the playable roster. Of course, Blizzard could quite easily make some lore up on the spot to make things like Naga or Tol'vir playable.

I think I'm starting to ramble now... so, do we really need a new race/class added in the next expansion? Wouldn't it just be better for Blizzard to focus on story and gameplay, making them the main reason people buy/play the new expansion (which is likely Legion based so I assume loads of people will want to see how that plays out and doing a second rate job on it will just irk people to no end)?

Would love to know what everyone thinks. Though from all the threads about what race or class is next, I feel I may get shouted at :P

Rarely updated...

Brewmaster
    Hm not really classes.

But we do need a new faction.

The Scourge, led by either the actual LK or Arthas after he is brought back to *life*.

Races could easily be:

Undead *insertactualraceinhere* : example undead orcs / humans etc..
    Skeletons ( no they are not the same as undead which are more like zombies and no they are not the same once again ).
    Nerubians
    Vrykuls
    Abominations

Etc..

Imho ofc.

The odds for a new faction is next to none, but if it was ever possible with the Scourge as a faction (one of the very few I'd regard as human yet diverse enough to be playable) it'd be for WotLK

The amount of work required to make a new race is immense, do consider that every single armor model (helms being the big culprit) has to be adjust for their shape
    Nyoro~n? (´・ω・`)
    5:2 diet? Pft!

One year, 62kg/136lb lost. Only a little bit left...

We don't need new races of classes, we just need something new.
    And with that, I mean that we kinda overused the resources available on Azeroth with the exception of the last Old God which could be the planet itself. Instead of doing all this, Blizzard could release the Burning Legion expansion and make let us portal hop into different worlds, planets, nether, etc etc. The good side of this would be that they really can have an unlimited imagination and new possibilities. I mean, we know some planets out there, like the home planet of the Draenei which we still didn't visit, but I doubt the Burning Legion has been sitting on their asses and didn't invade a single different planet in the meantime.

Yes, Azeroth is amazing, lots of possibilities and all that, but is it really the only planet with all this stuff going on?
    The races of Azeroth could easily find new allies or enemies on planets that weren't attacked (yet) by the Burning Legion, Old Gods or anything of the kind, but instead have their own problems.
    Proud winner of the Award: Troll of the year 2010
    Know the Anime Rules!
    I went to Kate's Birthday Party!!!
    (Thanks to Célina for fixing my Avatar)
    Dotje & Minoes I miss you both

I'm happy for more races but not for new classes, that will continue to unbalance everything.

Brewmaster
    We should leave the *its too hard* argument to blizz.

We can still easily have the scourge as third faction for a future expansion in which we will require a mega alliance to defeat like some big bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    We don't need new races of classes, we just need something new.
    And with that, I mean that we kinda overused the resources available on Azeroth with the exception of the last Old God which could be the planet itself. Instead of doing all this, Blizzard could release the Burning Legion expansion and make let us portal hop into different worlds, planets, nether, etc etc. The good side of this would be that they really can have an unlimited imagination and new possibilities. I mean, we know some planets out there, like the home planet of the Draenei which we still didn't visit, but I doubt the Burning Legion has been sitting on their asses and didn't invade a single different planet in the meantime.

Yes, Azeroth is amazing, lots of possibilities and all that, but is it really the only planet with all this stuff going on?
    The races of Azeroth could easily find new allies or enemies on planets that weren't attacked (yet) by the Burning Legion, Old Gods or anything of the kind, but instead have their own problems.
    This got me thinking of an outlands 2.0. Not necessarily legion attacking a world, but the different landscapes, creatures, eniemes you can have is endless. They could come up with something entirely new. More Zangramarsh zones (creativity wise).

Undeads, abominations and all that stuff as a whole faction, apart from the Horde. I would never play that faction though XD.

Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by LeyrHao View Post
    Undeads, abominations and all that stuff as a whole faction, apart from the Horde. I would never play that faction though XD.
    If they did that I would be temped to delete all my existing chars ( got 2 accounts full of em on 2 servers atm ) just to make from 0 every single char from the Scourge faction like 4 times each.
    Last edited by Justforthis123; 2013-04-18 at 01:32 PM.

Nope we don't need a new race or class but many people (including me) WANT a new race and a new class

Not really, IMO. I'm more interested in updated character models for the older (in game not lore wise) races. There's already more than enough balancing headaches with the current classes available.

Problem with 3rd faction is blizzard would have to rewrite everything in the game to include questing hubs for the third faction and you would also rip apart a ton of guilds. Don't think it's going to happen, especially after they put in all the effort to update 1-60.

Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Problem with 3rd faction is blizzard would have to rewrite everything in the game to include questing hubs for the third faction and you would also rip apart a ton of guilds. Don't think it's going to happen, especially after they put in all the effort to update 1-60.
    It doesn't have to work exactly as the factions we know of.. you never know when something amazing and unpredicted is going to happen without you being able to even dream of it before you see it with your own eyes.

I think we do NEED at least something major and new in each expansion. While a new class is an absolute nightmare to balance, and the amount of diversity gets harder and harder, a new race absolutely is not. All a new race needs is graphics and story, both of which are 1 time deals, once they are thought out and in the game, they're done. The story needs to be added to over the years, but that's a long term plan for future expansions. Balancing classes is an ever hot topic that sucks up huge amounts of attention.

When we don't get a new class or race things will quickly become stagnant, with all the same old, same old. I'm a firm believer that even new character models wouldn't be enough to change things up. It'd still be the same old races, with the same old stories and allegiances.

There's also the point that introducing a new race is a VERY good way to introduce (parts of) the new expansion story. Just look back at the DK's (not a race, but got the same treatment), the Goblins and the Pandaren and the starting area experience we got from them, and all the flavour that's in them. That's HUGE when setting up a new expansion.

So yes, in my opinion we definitely NEED something new, each and every expansion.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

yes. yes we do. the more the merrier.

horde races - ogres, saurok, tuskarr, gnolls?, wolvar?

alliance races - furbolgs, wolvar? etherals, arakkoa, high elves

third faction? the awakened? gnolls, murlocs, kobolds, troggs, quillboar, satyrs? grell?

classes, rangers, demon hunters, barbarians, necromancers

proffessions - tinkering, woodcraft, belief - ancestory

class guilds - join certain guilds based on your class and do challenges, dailies, earn rep and rewards, weapons and titles
    Last edited by manicwrath; 2013-04-18 at 01:46 PM. Reason: new ideas

No, we don't NEED a new class/race.

Would it be cool? Possibly, but just because something exists doesn't mean its a necessity to be added as a new race.
    Classes are even more difficult, it seems.

A lot of the things people say "they should make X class" are extremely similar to current classes. I'd generally prefer Blizzard have expanded current class talents into new classes but then you've already got people that whine about not being able to swap specs endlessly and needing tri-spec. I felt the old "spec is a choice you stick with" design was better for the game's diversity, but I can understand the reason for wanting some options (Enjoying dungeon/raid healing may not translate to enjoying questing in heal spec, for example).

Personally I feel like a new race is the easiest to implement as they can generally just make a 1-10 or 1-20 zone(s) and otherwise focus entirely on the expansion content. A new class seems to take a little more time for them to get everything in place and tweaked.

For the next expansion I'd actually be okay with new player models, subrace options for character selection, and focus on the expansion content being bigger. I'd like an expansion that has about 3 or 4 zones you won't even need to go through to hit max level due to the size of the different zones. Would be nice if you could take alts through multiple different paths without doing the same zones, plus completionists would have plenty to do instead of daily quests every patch (I personally don't mind dailies much, but it would relieve them for people a bit).

The size, scope, and pacing of BC and Wrath for leveling with some easing of pain for alts and the new tools and tricks they've learned since those expansions would be a nice medium, I think.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-04-18 at 01:53 PM.
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

No, but we don't need new expansions either.

Race? Sure.

Class? Let's take a break from that and just work on further honing what's already in game. I personally would love the idea of them blowing away the current class system and starting over, allowing many classes to get far more diverse via trees, but that won't ever happen
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think we do NEED at least something major and new in each expansion. While a new class is an absolute nightmare to balance, and the amount of diversity gets harder and harder, a new race absolutely is not. All a new race needs is graphics and story, both of which are 1 time deals, once they are thought out and in the game, they're done. The story needs to be added to over the years, but that's a long term plan for future expansions. Balancing classes is an ever hot topic that sucks up huge amounts of attention.

When we don't get a new class or race things will quickly become stagnant, with all the same old, same old. I'm a firm believer that even new character models wouldn't be enough to change things up. It'd still be the same old races, with the same old stories and allegiances.

There's also the point that introducing a new race is a VERY good way to introduce (parts of) the new expansion story. Just look back at the DK's (not a race, but got the same treatment), the Goblins and the Pandaren and the starting area experience we got from them, and all the flavour that's in them. That's HUGE when setting up a new expansion.

So yes, in my opinion we definitely NEED something new, each and every expansion.
    I think this is basically my opinion as well. Rather than have the nightmare that is constant balance that generally comes with a new class. Introducing a new race to coincide with the expansion is the best idea. As you said, it can be a great way to introduce them, their lore and the overall story of the expansion's start.

And as Faroth said, a little further down the page, even the sub-race option for the current races would be quite nice. Give people the option to play a Mag'har Orc as opposed to the green version we have now or for Night Elves to play as their High Elf counterparts.

I do think that Blizzard could take a break from the classes this next expansion, as melodramocracy says, and focus on tuning the current classes. Making them as balanced as they can get. We know true balance is never going to happen but they can get damn close.

Helps that I'm a bit of a lore nerd too so, introducing just the new race and an abundance of lore will likely win me over everytime. I love MoP for this too.

Rarely updated...