Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How far can mages solo old raids?

I still have some gear I'd like to transmogrify but I don't think people want to be doing black temple or any old raids at this point so just wondering how far I can go alone.

Deleted
    i can solo BT, Hyjal, TK, naxx, but ulduar, and icc are tricky for me but can do some bosses with a try or two.

the trash is the hardest part in ICC a lot of times
    mages aren't great for soloing anything they'll have to tank for an extended period of time

Excellent, black temple is my main destination to solo. How well do you have to be geared to do it? And how do the boss fights work? Usually just pop all cool downs and blow up the boss? I'm mainly concerned about the trash since there's a ton of it.

I can solo all of Ulduar but Algalon. I also 2 manned XT because I needed the hardmode for a transmog when I did this; not sure if I can solo non-hm XT, but... *shrug* Just try it. Make sure to IB/Defensive CD on the Tympanic Tantrum.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Onyxia is doable also. If you pop Mirror Image as the whelps near you during the p2/3 transition, it's a piece of cake.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
    Excellent, black temple is my main destination to solo. How well do you have to be geared to do it? And how do the boss fights work? Usually just pop all cool downs and blow up the boss? I'm mainly concerned about the trash since there's a ton of it.
    Trash is cake. At lvl 70 they can barely hurt you. Dismiss pet, if you are Frost, when you come to the concubines though as they MC - but you won't wipe from it.

Bosses is mostly just bust them down. The only one that might give you trouble is the council fight. Need quite a bit of DPS for that.

Did some achievments the other week. So this is what I know is possible since i have done it myself

Wotlk raids I did:
    Naxx 25m: The 3 bosses in Plague Quarter
    Ulduar 10m: Everything up until one of the keepers, he seemed to resetish, oneshot me when i entered a tunnel, so could not continue to the last 2. Had 1 try on Algalon and died.
    ICC 10m. First 3 bosses HC, Saurfang normal, and Blood council HC, did not try any other.
    Halion 10m: Normal and HC Cleared
    ToC, ToGC , or whateverthefuck 10m: Normal and HC Cleared
    OS3D 10m: Cleared
    Nexus 10m: Cleared

Have cleared Black Temple. So I am guessing all of TBC raids are soloable, with the exception of maybe sunwell(?) but think thats soloable aswell. And ofc all classic raids are soloable.

As for your question on BT, trash is easy, all bosses but Council and illidan is tank and spank really, even as a mage. Council was well, harder to stay alive than the others, but easily soloable. Illidan i had 2 tries on, there is 1 phase where you take a fuckload of dmg, survive that and everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    Onyxia is doable also. If you pop Mirror Image as the whelps near you during the p2/3 transition, it's a piece of cake.
    Or just go Frost and use Orb while spamming IL on Onyxia.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

So sounds like frost is the ideal spec for solo? And how good does the gear need to be? 5 man blues? Greens at 90? All purple?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Or just go Frost and use Orb while spamming IL on Onyxia.
    Or just go as fire and pop all cd's so it lands at 1 hp..

Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
    So sounds like frost is the ideal spec for solo? And how good does the gear need to be? 5 man blues? Greens at 90? All purple?
    Everything I have soloed has been as Fire. ilvl 500ish.

the evocation nerf made it a bit trickier but almost all raids in the 60's to 70's are a breeze apart from odd mechanic based ones

80's range gets a little trickier, although onyxia is a joke. a lot of soloing I did pre-evoc nerf so not sure how it will be now

either fire or frost works a charm - frost is great for lots of adds
    "Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their fate" - Judge Bergan

The notion that nature can be calculated inevitably leads to the conclusion that humans too can be reduced to basic mechanical parts

didnt they nerf all old raids 60-80 to make it easier for soloing?

Deleted
    soloed Malygos, Onyxia, 4first ICC ( will attemt rest some day when bored ), ulduar razorscale and xt ( will try more when bored ). VoA soloed all bosses. OS3d 10 man. OS 25 man without drakes. ill also try some bosses of TOGC 10 man. all tbc raids are soloable IMO. done TK and BT, dont have a reason to try SWP or hyjal though. vanilla raids are soloable too. all those as frost , ilvl 489 atm
    i agree that trash is the hardest part, you gotta plan well to pull. also have stacks of all potions, flasks, food and bandages ready and group up with a lock to get healthstones for harder raids. many bosses you just zerg with lust/images and blowing all CD's- especially if theres stacking debuffs like Toravon. you gotta kill him before stacks get up and he kills you. i usually prepot and use master healing pot later when its off cd.

ony whelps are easy. nova them and shatter arcane explosion ( they buffed its dmg ) to profit. been doing ony weekly since last november as solo but no drake yet

too bad they nerfed boss gold drops, 400-500 per boss was nice income now only about 20g/boss and then shards/or just sell drops
    Last edited by mmoc6d58974c66; 2013-04-19 at 07:03 AM.

Has anyone reliably solo'd Brutallus / Eredar twins? Brutallus I generally do on my Blood DK and share the raid ID with my mage to get past him. I wanted to grab some shoulders off the twins, but the amount of CC / stun / disorient they put out is pretty amazing. I'm running about ilevel 487 I'd guess, and can blow one up fairly fast but after that it's just a pile of stuns and disorients and me gritting my teeth and cursing under my breath.

So far I've done Onyxia, MC, BT (don't need anything off council / Illidan so haven't bothered with them), Hyjal, a bunch of SSC, Tempest Keep. My main problem is previous to the mage I solo'd on the Blood DK and a Paladin, so I'd just wade in and swat shit down, an approach that don't work so well when you're wearing cloth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nosfentor View Post
    Has anyone reliably solo'd Brutallus / Eredar twins? Brutallus I generally do on my Blood DK and share the raid ID with my mage to get past him. I wanted to grab some shoulders off the twins, but the amount of CC / stun / disorient they put out is pretty amazing. I'm running about ilevel 487 I'd guess, and can blow one up fairly fast but after that it's just a pile of stuns and disorients and me gritting my teeth and cursing under my breath.
    Sunwell is easy to solo as a mage. On Brutallus I usually just pop all cd at the start and burn him down. I've never had any problems with the twins.
    Last edited by zephid; 2013-04-29 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosfentor View Post

So far I've done Onyxia, MC, BT (don't need anything off council / Illidan so haven't bothered with them), Hyjal, a bunch of SSC, Tempest Keep. My main problem is previous to the mage I solo'd on the Blood DK and a Paladin, so I'd just wade in and swat shit down, an approach that don't work so well when you're wearing cloth.
    I doubt you can do brutallus on a mage without putting out some incredible dps during images(I don't think 487 is high enough ilvl to do it). I do it weekly on my lock with a voidlord and have to funnel it a bit
    I could see doing Twins, would be rough though.

Brutallus is soloable if you have the Terracotta Fragment trinket. It drops from Jonn-Dar in the Valley of Four winds. I was able to solo him at ~ ilvl 463. Not sure about the twins, I only attempted it once.

I actually heard you could do it with Terracotta fragment, so went and killed Jonn-Dar annnnnd he dropped it third time. I think I'm just being bad and need to improve my rotation / DPS if you were doing at around 463. What did you do, just pop fragment, send it in and then blow all your CDs and light him up?