Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Legendary! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Lot of bullshit in Wrath but it had Ulduar and that trumps everything.
    Yes indeed.

  2. #142
    Pit Lord Kuthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,303
    More nostalgia than anything, not to mention the fact that prior to TBC, there was no expansion, and it was a bunch of new things, and let you go from the world you had been on for a couple of yearsto a brand new alien world from Warcraft lore, with demons and darkness and it's main villain one of the most respected lore characters from Warcraft.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

    Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

  3. #143
    wrath was much better than bc or any other expansion. mists seems to be plagued with questionable design decisions.

  4. #144
    I remember the endless whines about the horrendous clown gear in tbc. Nothing but hate about it. And now suddenly it was the best gear ever. Wotlk went back to matching, normally colored gear because people hated the green, yellow, purple clownsuits from tbc. So, I say nostalgia.

  5. #145
    Classic of course liked it but there were so many bugs and unbalanced things.

    I loved BC perhaps because it was the first expansion, I loved Black Temple, ZA, but the best was in my openion Karazhan.

    Wrath was pretty good, but I hated the "zoned areas" and all the problems with helping others that wasnt on same step as you were. Of course I liked the Vikings meat Lotr theme.
    I hated Catalysm, and it got me bored with wow. I haven't played MoP so I can't say how good / bad it were.

    In my mind its BC > Lotr > Classic > Catalysm..

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Paladins and Shamans for both factions was actually a main complaint during TBC, along with flying mounts, and specs were still not properly sorted out (still a lot better than in Vanilla though.)
    Lots of specs became vialble for the first time, that initself made TBC quite epic. Also, comparing the previous landscapes and zones to Outland, nothing comes close at all. Outland looked unreal after playing Vanilla. I don't see giving other factions classes as a bad thing at all. Due to encounters buffs needed to be made accessible to all. Finally, TBC opened raiding up to more people (all be it the raids were WAY overturned on release). The only thing missing was the LFG tool, which was easily bypassed with a guild.


    You mean (some) Heroic Dungeon that require class stacking and nobody wants to attempt because of their terrible loot to effort ratio?
    You mean spending months on gearing up and attuning alts for raids?
    You mean some of the most annoying trash packs ever in SSC with 30 mins respawn timer?
    You mean ridicoulous difficulty differences between bosses from Free Loot (Loot Reaver Akama) to straight out impossible for months like Kael thas?
    You mean 9 months of farming BT and FREAKIN MH without nothing else to do other than arena? (There were no achievments)
    You mean getting Glaives (=better SW progress) being based on nothing else then RNG?
    You mean tons of one button specs like CH Shaman and SB Lock?
    You mean Blizzard 'Bring the Player, not the Class! But don't forget to always bring 5 Shamans as many ppl as possible with Glaives and depending on the boss 5 Priests, 11 Healers or 4 Warlocks!
    MGT only required 1-2 CC's at most. After a month people outgeared it and it became faceroll.
    I did those trash packs. Luckily they were balanced after a while.
    So you'd prefer Loot bosses to be buffed to like Kael, or are you crying for a nerf to a hard boss?
    Achievements, like the LFG, were likely still in development and were on the way.
    RNG is RNG, deal with it
    I actually liked playing my CH shaman. I was mainly enh, but switched for a few bosses in SW. Compared to Vanilla, specs were 1000x better, but compared to WLK/Casualclysm/Pandaland obviously much worse off.
    Class stacking wasn't as bad as you claim, unless you were on the bleeding edge, in which case I say BUCK UP.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 01:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I remember the endless whines about the horrendous clown gear in tbc. Nothing but hate about it. And now suddenly it was the best gear ever. Wotlk went back to matching, normally colored gear because people hated the green, yellow, purple clownsuits from tbc. So, I say nostalgia.
    Compared the gear to the great looking sets from Vanilla. That is why there were complaints.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Compared the gear to the great looking sets from Vanilla. That is why there were complaints.
    They REUSED green gear from vanilla...

  8. #148
    Brewmaster Cherrypowdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    1. The story wasn't coherent.

    2. We killed off Illidan in what, the 2nd major patch? Things went downhill from there.

    3. The only time I felt Illidan's presence was in Shadowmoon Valley, and even then he only appeared in one or two questlines. That was it.

    4. Shamans and Paladins being available to both factions I saw coming a mile away, pretty much at launch of Vanilla.

    Epic to me is a story that envelops me, along with an environment that takes me away and just makes me want to visit it again and again.

    When I went through Outlands, it was like pulling teeth. The questing wasn't enjoyable, nor was the story as I've now said multiple times.

    Wrath was fantastic.

    Cataclysm was meh.

    Mists is great.

    I just didn't like BC for a multitude of reasons.

    So no, nothing you said I found "epic" nor "cool".
    answering to bolded part only, Look. I don't know about you, but I don't personally need to be reminded every other quest of who the big villain is. wotlk went over the top with lk poking around every corner, ''oh, I could kill you now, BUT YOU SO AMUSE ME'', ''Oh my great evil plan, all those times I could have killed you, It was all for this moment!'' ''Oh, frostmourne breaks, qq''. I hated wotlk storyline after the 2nd time I saw the LK in a frikkin quest, supposedly talking to me, and I wasnt even lvl 72 yet.

  9. #149
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    174
    This is so subjective, what's epic in your mind may not reflect what the rest of the world thinks. So put another way, will there ever be another TBC? No. That story has been told. There have been a couple more apples and oranges since then, and they're all "epic" in their own right IMHO.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    answering to bolded part only, Look. I don't know about you, but I don't personally need to be reminded every other quest of who the big villain is. wotlk went over the top with lk poking around every corner, ''oh, I could kill you now, BUT YOU SO AMUSE ME'', ''Oh my great evil plan, all those times I could have killed you, It was all for this moment!'' ''Oh, frostmourne breaks, qq''. I hated wotlk storyline after the 2nd time I saw the LK in a frikkin quest, supposedly talking to me, and I wasnt even lvl 72 yet.
    Apparently having bosses just standing around their castles waiting for the heroes to come kill them is your idea of great storytelling?


    I liked the Mag'har in TBC, about half of Hellfire Peninsula, Zangarmarsh for a little while but got boring fast, most of Nagrand, Caverns of Time, half of Tempest Keep and Karazhan...
    I thought Shattrath thing was so-so, the legion never felt like they were doing anything or posing any kind of threat and Illidan might as well not have been there.
    Which is a bit odd, you know, considering he was supposedly the focus of the expansion.

  11. #151
    The only epic thing about TBC for me, was arriving there through the portal, that music, fantastic music theme of the peninsula.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Majiinx View Post
    While I know BC was not without its faults I feel that BC was the most epic and immersive xpac from WoW and IMO any other MMO. The scope was massive, the instances and raids were challenging and the zones were so atmospheric and moody, even today when I go through shadowmoon I get chills from the music and atmosphere. The raids felt so epic especially Black Temple and of course the armor sets and gear were among the best looking. I don't know whats planned for the next Xpac since some rumors say its the last others say they got 3 more. I'm hoping for another Burning Legion storyline since we still have KJ alive and of course Saragas they can defiantly revisit the burning legion again and I hope it can achieve the quality and feel of BC.
    When we finally take on Sargeras, that should be mind-blowingly epic. Would like to see more lore with the Titans involved as well, which will probably accompany the next Burning Legion storyline or anything Sargeras related for that matter.

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Honestly? I havent found any game where ive had as much enjoyment as I did during TBC. It was spot on, and its hard to top.

    Also please cut the "nostalgia" shit, you cant dismiss an opinion with that horrendously overused word.
    I'm fairly certain you can, in fact, dismiss an opinion with "that overused word" or any number of other words; it's just that, an opinion and in that person's opinion, you only recall BC as "spot on" and "the most enjoyable" because it's very nostalgic for you.

    BC was by no means the "golden age" of WoW and it wasn't chock-full of "epic" moments; Kael and Illidan were well-done but Kil'jaeden felt tacked-on and even his defeat wasn't all that satisfying. Vashj also got a pretty shitty deal with a gimmicky fight and a fairly lame resolution to her story. Burning Crusade was just like every other expansion; it was memorable for the very cool things it added and disliked for the crappy things it brought about. If anything, the most "epic" experience introduced to the game was probably Cataclysm since it literally destroyed the world and introduced the first boss that's so large you fight a raid encounter on his back - does that mean that my most enjoyable time in the game was during Cataclysm? No. I liked Wrath of the Lich King the best since it added Death Knights, a class I waited for since the game was announced.

    I think people remember the expansions favorably and unfavorably much less for their content and more for their circumstances as a player during that expansion. Most of my really prime raiding was done from Black Temple to Icecrown - I played with a group of twenty-five that stuck together for over four years and got a lot of cool titles and achievements in Wrath. Now? My circumstances are entirely different. Since Cataclysm I've never been in a guild that raids more than two nights a week for a few hours and I doubt I'd ever, in a few years, look on MoP and say it was my favorite era of WoW.

    So stop being a crotchety asshole and accept that nostalgia is a big part of why we look upon events of the past so fondly.
    Last edited by Olrox; 2013-04-19 at 07:22 AM.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

  14. #154
    Epic! dacoolist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of the computer - Naked
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Olrox View Post
    I'm fairly certain you can, in fact, dismiss an opinion with "that overused word" or any number of other words; it's just that, an opinion and in that person's opinion, you only recall BC as "spot on" and "the most enjoyable" because it's very nostalgic for you.

    BC was by no means the "golden age" of WoW and it wasn't chock-full of "epic" moments; Kael and Illidan were well-done but Kil'jaeden felt tacked-on and even his defeat wasn't all that satisfying. Vashj also got a pretty shitty deal with a gimmicky fight and a fairly lame resolution to her story. Burning Crusade was just like every other expansion; it was memorable for the very cool things it added and disliked for the crappy things it brought about. If anything, the most "epic" experience introduced to the game was probably Cataclysm since it literally destroyed the world and introduced the first boss that's so large you fight a raid encounter on his back - does that mean that my most enjoyable time in the game was during Cataclysm? No. I liked Wrath of the Lich King the best since it added Death Knights, a class I waited for since the game was announced.

    I think people remember the expansions favorably and unfavorably much less for their content and more for their circumstances as a player during that expansion. Most of my really prime raiding was done from Black Temple to Icecrown - I played with a group of twenty-five that stuck together for over four years and got a lot of cool titles and achievements in Wrath. Now? My circumstances are entirely different. Since Cataclysm I've never been in a guild that raids more than two nights a week for a few hours and I doubt I'd ever, in a few years, look on MoP and say it was my favorite era of WoW.

    So stop being a crotchety asshole and accept that nostalgia is a big part of why we look upon events of the past so fondly.
    Nostalgia is something people use A LOT here on MMO-C. It's used every single time someone brings up the topic of X expansion is better than X expansion / time X was better than time X.

    > I believe that you are correct that people should understand what nostalgia is, but using it EVERY TIME as a "COME BACK" isn't valid.

  15. #155
    I liked TBC because it's when I started playing, but I also liked it due to the "different world" feel. Though, I liked WoTLK and like MoP all the same for different reasons. I can't wait to explore Argus though.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 07:32 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    Nostalgia is something people use A LOT here on MMO-C. It's used every single time someone brings up the topic of X expansion is better than X expansion / time X was better than time X.

    > I believe that you are correct that people should understand what nostalgia is, but using it EVERY TIME as a "COME BACK" isn't valid.
    It -IS- when a player never mentions the bad parts about TBC while praising it for being the best expac every and let those who disagree be damned to the eternal fires of hell and damnation. Sorry, but nostalgia is a perfectly valid comeback, because it's nostalgia.


    It's no different from calling a spade a spade.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Coming from a guy named 'peso'? You 'corporations are evil but I use a machine created by corporations to complain about corporations' guys make me giggle.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 02:59 AM ----------



    Yes, it was hard to get into dungeons, it was hard to get into raids because once you became attuned you became snatched up by a better guild, and you spent months grinding for 'x' resist gear so you could defeat one boss, which was a tank and spank once you got the gear. So no, it wasn't harder. And dont give me that crap that it took X weeks to put down illidan and only X weeks to put down lei shen, because those world firsters were pounding the newer dungeons out on the PTR to practice for the real release and that time counts towards the time it took to defeat Ra-den and Lei Shen.
    I'm willing to bet if you introduce Mother now it would be another Durumu where people die over stupid shit. Also gear grows a lot more now each tier so I'd say it's easier to do new content...In TBC you could out skill people, now if you don't have the gear you can be the best player in the world but you will still be at the bottom.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 09:48 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    I liked TBC because it's when I started playing, but I also liked it due to the "different world" feel. Though, I liked WoTLK and like MoP all the same for different reasons. I can't wait to explore Argus though.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 07:32 AM ----------



    It -IS- when a player never mentions the bad parts about TBC while praising it for being the best expac every and let those who disagree be damned to the eternal fires of hell and damnation. Sorry, but nostalgia is a perfectly valid comeback, because it's nostalgia.


    It's no different from calling a spade a spade.
    The only downside I can remember is getting new people in atunements, I can't recall anything big I had problems with back then...I can remember plenty of Vanilla and other Xpacks...nostalgia is used by people who can't even think of a decent argument.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    There have been only a few moments/things in WoW that I would classify as epic and none of them were in TBC.
    This seconded, TBC wasn't epic to me at least not compared to classic.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'm willing to bet if you introduce Mother now it would be another Durumu where people die over stupid shit. Also gear grows a lot more now each tier so I'd say it's easier to do new content...In TBC you could out skill people, now if you don't have the gear you can be the best player in the world but you will still be at the bottom.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 09:48 AM ----------



    The only downside I can remember is getting new people in atunements, I can't recall anything big I had problems with back then...I can remember plenty of Vanilla and other Xpacks...nostalgia is used by people who can't even think of a decent argument.

    And there's the little fly in the ointment; YOU saw no drawbacks, but a lot of players did. My argument was that if you say "TBC is the best, end of.", you're stating your opinion as fact and showing how indoctrinated you are by your nostalgia because you can't accept that someone else might like WoTLK or MoP, or even Cataclysm (some people do. Not me, but some) more. There hasn't been an expansion without flaws, and if there was such an expansion, it sure as hell wasn't Cataclysm.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  19. #159
    I am Murloc! Wildberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    On Board the Hate Train.
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by masterman View Post
    Cata and Mists are much better expansions than TBC. The only reason people like TBC is because of nostalgia
    Mists is decent, Cataclysm, however, is just a stain on this game.

    In terms of Epicness/Story/Immersion, It goes:

    WotLK>BC>MoP>Classic>WCIII TFT: Orc Bonus Campaign>Basic Campfire>Anything but Cataclysm>Cataclysm

  20. #160
    Well in terms of an entire expansion I think Mists is shaping up pretty nicely. But if I go with little moments the first epic thing I felt for the game was the Belf starting zone, Then I felt the next epic thing for me was the LK fight. After that I felt when DW would show up in random places and send everything in its path to oblivion (the actual fight was like dealing with a guy who talks a lot of shit then goes down with one punch). Now I am feeling the epic from the story of each patch in Mists.
    Last edited by Dark Exerus; 2013-04-19 at 08:32 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •