Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Purely my own opinion here, but BC wasn't epic at damned all unless you were in an active raiding guild. The story was all over the place, and very non-cohesive, and save for Nagrand, the world was piss ugly as hell. WOTLK was epic. It had a bad guy. You saw that bad guy doing bad guy things. All through your experience in the Bad Guy's Land. You KNEW shit was going to go down, and that shit NEEDED to go down. WC3 led up to this. Finishing the fight and all that neat stuff!

Cata was far more lackluster in that department, but it was still better than BC by virtue of being a little cohesive with the story.

MoP is the only one that is anything close to what WOTLK brought to the table.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it was called Wrath of the Lich King

Deleted
    I never played BC at max level, was levelling during that time and didn't hit 70+ until Wrath came out.
    Nothing for me will compare to the epicness of Naxxramas, Ulduar, and above all, killing the Lich King on 10 man Normal for the first time with my old guild and great friends.

Deleted
    Since server communities wont come back, no. Nobody has to give a damn about being a decent person since you're only playing through LFD,LFR and all other servermixing shit.

There was a time where you would have to keep an reputation on the server and represent your guild which made people alot nicer.
    Last edited by mmoc30fc4496f6; 2013-04-19 at 08:46 AM.

BC were the best of times indeed. lollichking

So much "lol" in this thread. People dismissing other peoples OPINION based on THEIR experiences.

If someone loves Cataclysm then so be it. I won't agree with it but I didn't experience what that other player has experienced.

-----
    I loved TBC so much. Everything started there for me. I quit the guild I was in during Vanilla and made my own. Which was very succesful for years until I quit WoW on that level of play.

It was a time of greatness and standing apart from "the common" people in TBC. You can say that I wanted to be a special snowflake. Yes I loved attunements back then. I loved gating stuff because I had the time and skill and friends to do those. I could do anything. So yes TBC is very special to me.

But in terms of the more enjoyable lore, it was WOTLK. I was put off by the fact that everything was so easy (dungeons), but the overal experience was really what I wanted.

So in terms of how I look at the most fun I had in WoW: WOTLK/TBC/Vanilla/Cata. But Cata has a special place in my heart too. I hated basically everything in Cata after they nerfed the dungeons to death. But I had a blast with my guild in Cata. We went hardcore mode and that was an awesome ride.

I feel stupid for putting WOTLK first as everyone always complained about WOTLK. But the story and the way my guild developed during that time, was one of the reasons I wanted to play WoW, so yes WOTLK made that a good time for me.

Deleted
    Ah, I love this kind of threads.

If you liked TBC best then you have rose-tinted glasses and you live in the past and then following statement is "I think WOTLK/Cata" was best.

OT

Yep, I had most fun playing in TBC. Why? Because it was a great journey starting in BC heroics and ending in Sunwell killing Kil'jaiden. For me, nothing will be more epic since now journey is gone. Although, I still have a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmar View Post
    Ah, I love this kind of threads.

If you liked TBC best then you have rose-tinted glasses and you live in the past and then following statement is "I think WOTLK/Cata" was best.

OT

Yep, I had most fun playing in TBC. Why? Because it was a great journey starting in BC heroics and ending in Sunwell killing Kil'jaiden. For me, nothing will be more epic since now journey is gone. Although, I still have a lot of fun

That's not true at all. You're missing something big. It's to the people saying "TBC WAS INDUBITABLY THE BEST, ANYONE WHO DOES NOT THINK SO CAN ROT", in other words. I liked TBC, WoTLK and I like MoP equally and for other reasons, but that doesn't mean it's fact. Some people are trying to write "TBC was best" off as factual, and that is the problem.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, BC's strength was in its scope; specifically, the feeling it would give your average player. I recall looking at T6 players and telling my friend, "Wow, look at that nerd. ... I wish I could see Black Temple too."

I think that mindset (the second part, anyway) was good for the game. It gave the general populace something to aspire to, a real feeling of exclusivity that they would probably never experience. And that was fine; it gave the impression that WoW really was as massive as it claims to be.

You haven't really got that since TBC. Since then, everyone simply does harder versions of the same thing. That more casual approach is fine, too... but it does make you wonder.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I agree, BC's strength was in its scope; specifically, the feeling it would give your average player. I recall looking at T6 players and telling my friend, "Wow, look at that nerd. ... I wish I could see Black Temple too."

I think that mindset (the second part, anyway) was good for the game. It gave the general populace something to aspire to, a real feeling of exclusivity that they would probably never experience. And that was fine; it gave the impression that WoW really was as massive as it claims to be.

You haven't really got that since TBC. Since then, everyone simply does harder versions of the same thing. That more casual approach is fine, too... but it does make you wonder.
    I wish they could find a way to bring that feeling back... I think if we all compromise, there can be a middle point where people who are noobs still have the chance to experience lets say the first raid tier, than casuals can go to up until the 2nd and only hardcore players would have access to the final tier. I know i'm far from being explanatory here but this is just my general understanding of this issue...

While TBC is my favorite expansion overall, I still think WotLK was more epic.

Deleted
    tbc is my favorite tho vanilla close second
    something like this TBC -> Vanilla -> Wotlk -> Mop -> Cata

and it seems to be some kind of trend to hate TBC or vanilla and be one of the new cool casual kids with no patience to even stay in lets say LFR if they die once

i dont hate ppl who came later on and dont really care when you started playing, it's just the new impatient ppl annoying me.

Deleted
    For me it was the first time I took flight with an epic mount. Words cannot describe how good I felt at that moment. 4 days straight of wow with only 3x5 hour breaks trying to get to 70 asap then a scramble when I dinged to get the last 400g I needed for epic flight. So much win

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    This is entirely your opinion. I felt Northrend was far more immerse than Outland and that WotLK's storyline was substantially more cohesive than TBC's was. Also, I think TBC pales in comparison to what MoP has to offer concerning quality of work, the art direction, the storyline and the sheer amount of content available. Cataclysm was just a wreck.

TBC wasn't bad. But it was the FIRST, which makes it super Rose-Tinted for a LOT of people. TBC wasn't better. It just was first.

If we get another Burning Legion expansion, and it lives up the standards of quality and lore like MoP has, then I think it will be vastly popular among the fanbase.

But please, there have been many things since TBC that have been far more "epic."
    Agree with every word of this. Cataclysm was definitely shocking though, put me off the game completely.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    There have been only a few moments/things in WoW that I would classify as epic and none of them were in TBC.
    not to mention if OP stops living in nostalgic la-la land then perhaps he can see epic moments in this current expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I truly feel everyone's first expansion, the first expansion they experienced from close to beginning to end, is probably going to generally be the answer to the question of "what do you think the best expansion was?" TBC was mine, and I've got to say it ranks up there highly - although if I had to admit it I would say WotLK possibly outranks it, followed close on its heels by MoP itself. Cata seems like the only outlier to this, as the general opinion was that it was probably the weakest expansion overall - but you'll still find people who started playing WoW in Cata have a lot of good things to say about it (LFR, Firelands, and even the zone quest-lines). My personal ranking is WotLK => TBC => MoP > Cata, and I won't say Cata was terrible it just stands as the weakest in the list of good additions to the game.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    not to mention if OP stops living in nostalgic la-la land then perhaps he can see epic moments in this current expansion.
    You didn't even finish all the dungeons before WOTLK came out, why should your opinion be valid?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ment#168:14805

Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    I wish they could find a way to bring that feeling back... I think if we all compromise, there can be a middle point where people who are noobs still have the chance to experience lets say the first raid tier, than casuals can go to up until the 2nd and only hardcore players would have access to the final tier. I know i'm far from being explanatory here but this is just my general understanding of this issue...
    Nostalgia is something that isn't easily returned, and Nostalgia is the primary reason I think people like BC currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

It's rather silly to find excuses or reasons for people liking something. Some people like TBC the most, some people like MoP the most, and so on. People who say things like "you only like TBC because of nostalgia" are just stupid. There are other reasons for liking something you know. The question regarding everyone's favorite expansion is not a question of facts, and therefor there is no right or wrong answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Nostalgia is something that isn't easily returned, and Nostalgia is the primary reason I think people like BC currently.
    yh it is in part that, but in my case at least, I think WOW has lost a LOT of epicness through generalizing content access for players.
    Now everyone can have a tier set and that takes away the sense of exclusivity that BC and Vanilla had... Sure there is still heroic armour but who can tell the difference really when it comes to the looks of it?

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...which automatically means, that feeling is brought back for a handful of people.

There are now literally 3 guilds, 80 people who have killed Ra-Den. 3000 guilds...50 000 people in Hardmodes. Your suggestion automatically excludes a couple of million players. Who ofc couldn't think of this being epic, because they don't get to see it.
    The word EPIC is being tossed around and loosing all of its meaning by people who unfortunately nowadays can't be bothered with anything. Instant gratification is what they crave but for that there are other games. WOW was the pioneer of epic games because people had to dedicate themselves a bit to the game and when they achieved something they genuinely felt great amongst other players.
    But I'm not saying TBC and Vanilla were perfect, I am just saying we went from one extreme to the other.
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-04-19 at 02:21 PM.