Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 29
... LastLast

Why do Europeans (and Australia, Canada, Japan, etc.) support monarchism?

While certainly some countries have very strong republican histories, such as the Czech Republic and Poland, others still cling to the trappings of unelected monarchs and aristocrats. Needless to say, these monarchs and aristocrats have very little real power, but the fact that they still exist at all is baffling. Even left-wing and libertarian groups that one would suspect to be opposed to monarchy, are okay with these unelected heads of state for the most part.

Oddly enough, some European countries even reverted from republics to monarchies. Take for instance the Netherlands, which was a federal republic since it's founding in the 16th century and remained that way well into the early 19th century. Yet this federal republic was later replaced with a unitary, centralized republic, and after that with a monarchy under French control. Yet even after the end of the French Empire, the Netherlands didn't return to republicanism.

In Canada throughout 18th and 19th centuries there were strong movements to have Upper and Lower Canada join the United States and republican states. A series of revolutions and civil wars were even fought by the Canadian people (and sympathetic Americans) to overthrow the British imperialists in the Canadian colonies. Yet after the British imperialists violently put down the revolution and executed political dissidents, the movement seemed to slow down a bit. Surely not all of the republicans and pro-America Canadians had been killed in Canada?

It's often said, and rightly so, that the United States is the first 'new' country. We're a country founded on the principles of freedom, republicanism, rule of law, gun ownership, and equality for all peoples. The idea of being born into power or nobility has always been abhorrent and foreign to us. Many have even pointed out that the reason the European Union is allowed to exist in it's current form, is because the idea of being ruled by unelected elites is a fundamental part of their cultures.

The question I pose to you is this, why do you think monarchism remains popular in first-world, democratic countries like Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and others? If you live in a monarchic state, do you support the monarchy?
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-04-18 at 07:49 PM.

Deleted
    Our Queen is a figurehead and diplomat that brings in more money for the country than she costs, where are the downsides?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    While certainly some countries have very strong republican histories, such as the Czech Republic and Poland, others still cling to the trappings of unelected monarchs and aristocrats. Needless to say, these monarchs and aristocrats have very little real power, but the fact that they still exist at all is baffling. Even left-wing and libertarian groups that one would suspect to be opposed to monarchy, are okay with these unelected heads of state for the most part.

Oddly enough, some European countries even reverted from republics to monarchies. Take for instance the Netherlands, which was a federal republic since it's founding in the 16th century and remained that way well into the early 19th century. Yet this federal republic was later replaced with a unitary, centralized republic, and after that with a monarchy under French control. Yet even after the end of the French Empire, the Netherlands didn't return to republicanism.

In Canada throughout 18th and 19th centuries there were strong movements to have Upper and Lower Canada join the United States and republican states. A series of revolutions and civil wars were even fought by the Canadian people (and sympathetic Americans) to overthrow the British imperialists in the Canadian colonies. Yet after the British imperialists violently put down the revolution and executed political dissidents, the movement seemed to slow down a bit. Surely not all of the republicans and pro-America Canadians had been killed in Canada?

It's often said, and rightly so, that the United States is the first 'new' country. We're a country founded on the principles of freedom, republicanism, rule of law, gun ownership, and equality for all peoples. The idea of being born into power or nobility has always been abhorrent and foreign to us. Many have even pointed out that the reason the European Union is allowed to exist in it's current form, is because the idea of being ruled by unelected elites is a fundamental part of their cultures.

The question I pose to you is this, why do you think monarchism remains popular in first-world, democratic countries like Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and others? If you live in a monarchic state, would you support
    Queen Elizabeth II rocks. Not sure why you would want to get rid of her. She brings revenue into the country and provides a long term perspective on foreign policy while also being a solid foreign representative. Makes complete sense.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Canadian here and I don't even give it a second thought, ever. The Monarchy has pretty much zero influence on my daily life or the operation of this country as a whole. Most of what's left over is purely symbolic.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Mainly tradition. However, there are good reasons for having monarchs as well, especially if you compare it to most republics presidents.

Monarchs is good for PR, and they make great representatives for the country. Who would most people want to meet, the King of Sweden, or some almost as powerless president from Finland?

In US, the President is more then just head of state, he also have a similar role to a prime minister. In most republics in Europe, the presidents have very little actual power. Presidents are figure heads.

I could support Sweden becomming a republic, but I would never support having some useless president. If Sweden were to become a republic, I would say just remove the king, but keep everything else as it is. No need to replace him with something else.

The Monarchs these days are more figureheads than anyone with any actual power supreme power. Of course I also feel a Monarchy is probably the most stable type of government. Both government types suffer to corruption via lobbying of businesses.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2013-04-18 at 07:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you're a bit confused. Just because it exists doesn't mean that it has the support of the people. Most of them just don't care enough to do something about it.

They've got a lot of representative value though and pretty much every country has some sort of symbol that can be called upon in times when unity is needed.

On the other hand we Europeans (yes I'm counting Switzerland) don't really understand the reverence the US has for their constitution (as in the actual document, not constitution as a legal term).

and on a sidenote: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Charter_of_1291 And lots of others. The US wasn't really the first.

edit: And guns also seem to be such a symbol. As shown by the fact that you mention it as one of the fundamental qualities of a "free" country
    Last edited by Zao; 2013-04-18 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biased pool for Europeans under republic. I'm not too happy with the republic but i'm certainly not indiferent either...

10+ Year Old Account
    Your threads are too much. Please research the Queen and what a figurehead is before throwing shade at her awesomeness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I chose "American: I support Monarchism," but I really mean the British monarchy, in which there's not really any true "archy" going on. It's really a republic with a figurehead monarch that is useful in many ways, but exercises no true power. I think it's kinda nice.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Why is there no "I'm indifferent" option for those under a Monarchy?

Because I assure you that that is the overall opinion of the vast majority of people under a Monarchy.

OP you generalize and don't really understand Europeans or the role of Monarchy as a whole. Also you don't really understand what the European Union is in the first place. Plus the US cannot claim being the first continuos republic either. San Marino, The Icelandic Commonwhealth, Switzerland predate it. Also I'm not counting the many former republics such as the Italian Mercantile Republics or the Hanseatic League that later adopted other systems.

You also have very little understanding of what a Consitutional Monarchy is. The Monarchy is a unifying title. Loyalty is owed to the crown and not the individual. The role of the monarch is to ensure the transition betwen elected governaments. Additional roles are either, ceremonial or symbolic. The Monarchy often acts as a unifying point betwen often different ethnic groups or nations living in the same country.

Also by extension the European Union's acting governament is not a fully elected body due to the European Unions supranational nature. It is an international organization who's member states appoint representatives to administrate the organization. This is perpetuated because the member states cling on to their self governance. People from the UK don't wish to be governed by representatives elected in Germany and vice-versa. For there to be a change, the public would have to accept it and demand to activly take part in so to say "foreign" politics.

Deleted
    as long as the monarchy here remains a figurehead and one of the best diplomats a country could ever have, i will support it. if they had any real power they used, i wouldn't. but at the moment there are no down sides to us, shes probably one of our top tourist attractions as well.

I wish we could get a king over here in America. Although many claim Obama as an emperor now lol.

Deleted
    I would love to get rid of the monarchy. I'm always surprised whenever there is some event and they show parts of the UK having street parties for the royal wedding/jubilee etc I don't recognise that UK at all.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    top tourist attractions as well.
    They just have to keep dusting her off and keeping the pigeons away though.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    They just have to keep dusting her off and keeping the pigeons away though.

but it wouldn't be london without pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Why is there no "I'm indifferent" option for those under a Monarchy?

Because I assure you that that is the overall opinion of the vast majority of people under a Monarchy.
    The indifferent option was an accident to begin with, there wasn't supposed to be such an option. I PMed the mods and asked them to fix the mistake though, rest assured.

did you actually just paste the exact same, word for word post on teamliquid?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=408437

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Our Queen is a figurehead and diplomat that brings in more money for the country than she costs, where are the downsides?
    This. Also, monarchism is part of a lot of European countries' history, and is a part of their identities. Though I certainly preferd the Swedish monarchies of the past, they had absolutely stunning clothing, instead of the boring business suits monarchies use today.