Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    US house of reprentatives use Boston bombing to pass CISPA

    “Recent events in Boston demonstrate that we have to come together as Republicans and Democrats” in order to pass a bill that will strengthen national security, McCaul (R-Texas) said Thursday morning.
    “In the case of Boston,” said McCaul, “there were real bombs.”
    “In this case, they are digital bombs — and these digital bombs are on their way.”
    From the article http://rt.com/usa/congress-house-bill-cispa-031/

    So what do you think? I think it's sleazy tactics, used by sleazy people.

    Edit: Typo in thread title, I'm aware it should be Boston.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    So what do you think? I think it's sleazy tactics, used by sleazy people.
    Welcome to US politics.

  3. #3
    what is CISPA exactly? sense he said digital bombs im assuming they want to take away my internets

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,241
    Ah fuck :/

    I feel bad for you lot over there. Does it still need to go through the Senate, or is this it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Guns don't kill people deranged dogs and cooking ovens kill people.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    We went to Iraq in search of WMD's but found none. I guess they dont have pressure cookers over there : (

  5. #5
    CISPA 101: Originally introduced in late-2011, CISPA passed the House but never advanced to a full Senate vote after massive public campaigns waged against the bill. It's authors say CISPA will "provide for the sharing of certain cyber threat intelligence and cyber threat information between the intelligence community and cybersecurity entities" by encouraging private companies such as Google, Facebook and others to hand over to the government any data that could be used to combat cyberattacks. Critics of the bill say its language is too broad, though, and allows federal agencies to access too much personal information.-From the article.

  6. #6
    One person said it, after the vote. I don't see how that's "using Boston to get the bill passed." Unless I'm missing something the entire house said?

    Still seems like a load of blowhard nerd rage...so the government might find out you watch donkey porn. Oh noes.
    Max Amann is the original Grammar Nazi.
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since August 11, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  7. #7
    Representative Candice Miller (R-MI), a CISPA supporter, painted a dire picture of North Korean hackers taking down the US power grid, and Rep. Joe Heck (R-NV) warned that "our nation is under attack." Rep. Mike McCaul (R-TX) went so far as to urge passage with a comparison to the Boston Marathon bombings: "In the case of Boston they were real bombs, in this case they're digital bombs. And these digital bombs are on their way."-From http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/18/42...ses-cispa-2013

    All it takes is one person to put fear into peoples hearts.

  8. #8
    republicans and democrats coming together to take away our freedom. nice...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Still seems like a load of blowhard nerd rage...so the government might find out you watch donkey porn. Oh noes.
    Oh noes, the government is invading your privacy and collecting evidence on your activities with out probable cause or a warrant.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    what is CISPA exactly? sense he said digital bombs im assuming they want to take away my internets
    The part that we as online fellows are most concerned about is legislation that makes breaking a end user license agreement or terms of service "click to agree" type of thing a federal crime. It's basically a massive blow job to corporations and a means of circumventing the constitution.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  11. #11
    When Pierce Morgan AND Glenn Beck AND Rush Limbaugh AND Rachel Maddow are all against something you know it is shit.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It's basically a massive blow job to corporations and a means of circumventing the constitution.
    Politicians have quite a taste for that corporate dong. They love the money and influence they get from blowing it.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Oh noes, the government is invading your privacy and collecting evidence on your activities with out probable cause or a warrant.
    as I said...they might think you're weird. I don't see the problem if you're not doing heinous/illegal shit.

    w/e, doesn't affect me anyway...but this thread is inaccurate to begin with.
    Max Amann is the original Grammar Nazi.
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since August 11, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,241
    w/e, doesn't affect me anyway.
    Famous last words.

    A Martin Niemöller quote would probably fit well here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Guns don't kill people deranged dogs and cooking ovens kill people.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    We went to Iraq in search of WMD's but found none. I guess they dont have pressure cookers over there : (

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    When Pierce Morgan AND Glenn Beck AND Rush Limbaugh AND Rachel Maddow are all against something you know it is shit.
    Let's not Forget Nancy Pelosi who is also against it on the ground it hurts our liberty...when she's one of the worst about removing it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Famous last words.

    A Martin Niemöller quote would probably fit well here.
    I don't live in the US. :P So for the time being, it's completely inconsequential to me. Unless they want to investigate my firefox history for cat pictures and hot redheads.
    Max Amann is the original Grammar Nazi.
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since August 11, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    as I said...they might think you're weird. I don't see the problem if you're not doing heinous/illegal shit.

    w/e, doesn't affect me anyway...but this thread is inaccurate to begin with.
    How is this thread inaccurate when i've linked 2 different sources saying the same thing? If you’re happy with giving out your private information to the private and public sectors for security, then so be it. However, many people are not, even those with nothing to hide. It’s important to remain critical of government over-reach and control of personal and confidential information.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Politicians have quite a taste for that corporate dong. They love the money and influence they get from blowing it.
    but dont try and do something about it

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I don't live in the US. :P So for the time being, it's completely inconsequential to me. Unless they want to investigate my firefox history for cat pictures and hot redheads.
    It will affect you, if they can pass this here do you honestly believe it won't pass where you live at some point? We've been fighting it since it was called SOPA, and it keeps coming back. So go ahead and think it "won't affect you".

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    20,679
    That is really low....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •