Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Need help Soloing Onyxia

So I picked a few LFR pieces earlier today and thought I'd start soloing a few raids. I hit a couple TBC and had no problems.

However, thought I would hit Onyxia's Lair - 10M before I called it a night. I went in as Blood and I had no problem holding my own.

However, I just couldn't do enough damage to get her down at her second pahse. I didn't even die, after spending a good few minutes I just gave up, disconnected relogged.

This time I went in as DW Frost. I was ok for most of the fight. I kept spamming howling blast while she was in the air during the second phase. I DPSed the adds pretty quickly. However, when she landed for 3rd phase, I couldn't handle the damage from her and the adds. I wiped on 2%.

Now from what I've been told and read, is that you can actually DPS her as melee if you are right under her. However, I couldn't even do that.

Can someone please help me out and tell me what I should be doing?

P.S Soloing a couple of these old world raids, I've noticed that I keept missing. Sure my Hit/Dodge/ and the other stats may not be at cap, but isn't that for level 93 bosses?

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally when I solo her it's straightforward until the air phase. Then I just use diseases and death coil to get her down.

icy touch and death coil spam, only thing you can do as blood.. I cant remember if blood boil reached her but it is not a quick thing. I think it took less time than my REALLY undergeared healer monk though =P I have never DPSed on my DK so im no help in that dept.. but def. doable as blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundered70 View Post
    Normally when I solo her it's straightforward until the air phase. Then I just use diseases and death coil to get her down.
    As Blood? Well its very straightforward. I know that. I don't have a problem with that. I just can't seem to pull off enough DPS to get her down to 40%. Sure I can get Frost Fever on her. But then outside of Outbreak I can't get Plage Strike on her.

Did Blizzard fix it where melee could DPS if you were right below her?

Just use anything ranged that you have to tick her down to third phase. Icy Touch and Death Coil should work slowly but surely.

bosses are always 3 levels above you
    onyx is just tuned for lvl 80 players

iirc

How have everyone elese soloed it ?

Go into Unholy Presence and pop a speed boost to follow her when she runs to take off so you can damage her down before she takes flight. AOE the whelps then just Icy Touch / Death Coil spam til she lands again. Easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    During P2 I just use Icy Touch and dump RP with Death Coil and Outbreak on whelps/Lair Guards, then Blood Boil to spread em to her to keep diseases up on her, it's usually a pretty short wait for me and an easy kill every week

Time all your cooldowns for when she is about to hit 65%. My best was 45% awhile back, and air phase was over very quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Onyxia pushes at 65% and then starts to run before she goes into the air for P2. I would recommend trying to get her to around 70% or so then popping army, pillar, ERW, etc. just trying to do as much DPS as possible before she actually flies into the air. Popping Death's Advance obviously helps too so you can keep up a little better while shes running.

As for the question about hit. Bosses in raids are actually not a specific level but are considered "Boss Level" which will always be at least 3 levels higher than you, regardless if the content is actually a much lower level. So to answer your question, you have the same amount of chance to miss Onyxia as you would for Lei Shen or any other 90 raid boss. You will want your hit/exp at 7.5% (optimally) even for Onyxia.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    This may not be too helpful as I do it as a ret pally, but I dps her normally to about 65% at the back of the cave then blow all CD's and burn her hard as she runs across the cave to start the air phase. Basically she takes off and then just sits back at the end of the cave if you dps her hard enough before she gets in the air. About the time you have killed all the whelps she lands so you effectively avoid the air phase completely and its just a straight burn interupted by whelp aoe. One thing to note is if you get the big dragonkin adds they put a stacking debuff on you that actually really starts to hurt. So if you get one of those adds kill it asap.

With Icy Touch and Death Coil, like multiple people have said.

I can usually kill her in around a minute. I do it as Frost. I blow all my CD's right off the bat. She is usually only in the air for a few seconds before she comes down. I used to kill all the whelps, but know I just focus her when she comes down and ignore the whelps. When I have done 25man I do it as Blood. When I do it as blood I do like others have suggested and just spam IT and DC until she comes down. It takes a while this way, but it works.

P.S Soloing a couple of these old world raids, I've noticed that I keept missing. Sure my Hit/Dodge/ and the other stats may not be at cap, but isn't that for level 93 bosses?
    Raid bosses are always considered 3 levels higher than you, regardless of their actual level. Onyxia is lv80, but when you're attacking her she's essentially lv93.

Deleted
    she's "dead" by the time she takes off... Unholy or frost, pop army and nuke.

So I picked a few LFR pieces earlier today and thought I'd start soloing a few raids. I hit a couple TBC and had no problems.

However, thought I would hit Onyxia's Lair - 10M before I called it a night. I went in as Blood and I had no problem holding my own.

However, I just couldn't do enough damage to get her down at her second pahse. I didn't even die, after spending a good few minutes I just gave up, disconnected relogged.

This time I went in as DW Frost. I was ok for most of the fight. I kept spamming howling blast while she was in the air during the second phase. I DPSed the adds pretty quickly. However, when she landed for 3rd phase, I couldn't handle the damage from her and the adds. I wiped on 2%.

Now from what I've been told and read, is that you can actually DPS her as melee if you are right under her. However, I couldn't even do that.

Can someone please help me out and tell me what I should be doing?

The bosses you are fighting are usually Skull which equates to a raid boss level in terms of needing Hit/Expertise. As for doing this as blood when I did it all you can basically do is make sure both diseases are up and just blood boil whenever you can. Pretty much and spot she is in you can stand under her and use Blood Boil and Death and Decay for damage. Other than that you have Icy Touch / Death Coil and Death Siphon (if you talent it) for ranged attacks when you can't do the others.

Phase 2 will take the longest and I think I usually went through 3-5 add phases and had about 3 big adds come out. It's a lengthy phase due to low damage ranged abilities, but once you are out of that phase then phase 3 is even easier. This part I did in 25 man as I always hoped that 25 man with more drops would've give me a better chance at the mount. After about three resets and looking around it doesn't look like it, but 10 man is essentially the same just a lot less time.

I just Nuke her on my warlock without a Voidlord, because she hits like a kitten :P Is it that Frosties are squishier than a cloth class now?
    With Fire and Brimstone I light my path.
    With Pain and Shadow I smite my foes.
    With Demon and Fel I raise my armies.
    I AM WARLOCK, THE END OF YOU ALL.

10+ Year Old Account
    ALL skull mobs are either A) A boss, and considered to be 3+ lvls above your current lvl, or B) 10+ lvls above you, normal mobs.

It takes about 5 mins for my poorly geared blood DK to down Onyxia. DnD, BB, Icy Touch, Death Coil, and spec into that range heal attack in the healing tier. I swapped to unholy once i realized it was faster, and I could do it (Unholy is 340 ilvl)

As frost, its fairly easy. Spec into Lich Bourne. Phase 1- Nuke Onyxia. Phase 2- kill Adds, range Onyxia till she comes down. When she starts coming down, clean up all adds- pop Lichbourne here if you need some extra time to down em, should be easy to AoE down the whelps, and the big ones should die in a single obliterate.

If doing it as blood, spec into Death Siphon. If doing as frost, spec into runic conversion. there should be 0 problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoar View Post
    I just Nuke her on my warlock without a Voidlord, because she hits like a kitten :P Is it that Frosties are squishier than a cloth class now?
    the problem is that DKs don't have many ranged attacks, and onyxia flies.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.