Thread: Lei Shen in LFR

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lei Shen in LFR

Just posted this on the official forums (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8569860731), just in case anyone is struggling with Lei Shen in LFR:

So I just downed Lei Shen in LFR, and I have a few things I want to discuss about it.

First, hats off to the encounter team. He has really fun and really interesting mechanics, and I like how in ToT in general there are mechanics that let you decide how you wanna do things/what order (kinda like Yor'sahj from DS).

We killed him with 7 stacks of determination. I think we could have easily killed him with less, but people were learning the fight on those first attempts. It was such a huge relief and such a good feeling to kill him. We struggled in Phase 1, and people were leaving constantly, but once we got Phase 1 down people stayed with the group and we meshed really well and got the boss down. It was the longest I have seen people stay after the boss kill. Everyone stuck around and was thanking everyone and generally just being happy. It was what I feel that LFR should be, and it was a high point with the WoW community.

I realized during this fight, that now more than ever, an in-game Voice Client is becoming necessary. It was really tedious typing out all of the mechanics. We spent a good 30 minutes worth of time just discussing tactics via chat, that would have been 5 minutes in a Voice Client and saved us a lot of confusion. There are definitely some hurdles to overcome, and some logistics to work out (like how to you monitor/protect against harassment) but I would love if LFR end bosses had this difficulty, and I could talk to my teammates about the strategy. Maybe make it so by default most people can just listen, because I know a lot of people don't have mics or are nervous about talking, but almost everyone can listen.

A few tips if you are struggling:

If you are a tank, you MUST know the mechanics of the fight. The tanks have a big job this time around, and you can't fake your way through it. YouTube is a great source for fight videos. The 15 minutes spent watching the video will easily save you more than 15 minutes worth of wipes.

The mechanics are critical. Execute the mechanics over doing extra DPS/HPS. There is no Enrage timer, just a Soft Enrage in Phase 3 (which was the easiest Phase I think), so play it safe.

The raid leader needs to lead the raid. This sounds kinda derpy, but in most LFRs the raid leader doesn't do much. Not the case for Lei Shen. Mark targets, mark people, call out raid warnings, be active, and leading your team to victory will feel amazing.

Write some Raid Warning macros, so you can call out important mechanics with a button push instead of typing them (again, this is why I want a nice Voice Client). Once I wrote a few of these between pulls, our Phase 1 execution went from atrocious to amazing.

Don't be afraid to use a vent server if you have access, at least a few people can coordinate.

Overall, stick with it, learn the mechanics, work together, be patient, be understanding of mistakes as long as they are corrected the next attempt, and I promise you the kill will feel awesome when it comes.
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW's VoIP system still works, IIRC. It's just still a complete PoS since they never bothered to fix it after it was implemented in TBC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    WoW's VoIP system still works, IIRC. It's just still a complete PoS since they never bothered to fix it after it was implemented in TBC.
    It would be ok and a lot more popular if it wasn't trying to be so conservative with bandwidth, on the order of around 4kb/s, it only makes noises interpretable by R2D2

The encounter really isn't too different from normal mode. There is a lot less damage so things are more forgiving, but only barely. Tanks MUST know the fight in it's entirety and everyone must deal with the conductors. It's a fairly complex encounter, but I like it. If you can tank this fight, do it!

Deleted
    It pretty much requires at least 1 good tank and 1 person who can remind the raid what to do (possibly via macros in raid warning). They can be one and the same if need be.

So long as you got those 2 things its doable with nearly any LFR group within 1-4 attempts.

I gotta say though this is the first fight on which I've actually had fun in LFR. I never thought I'd be able to get the feeling of satisfaction that I get from downing a heroic boss in a LFR pug, but this fight came about as close as possible to that.

Deleted
    Did they nerf the no conductor tactic? Damage taken increase didn't seem to reset by dipping into the conductor.

Eh, we got him on 2 tries, I think it is very nicely tuned, as long as tanks know what to do. Definitely my favorite LFR encounter thus far, it provides some good challenge, fun, and it feels epic.

Was painful on my priest as the tanks had no clue. I life grip them to where they are meant to be and they just run off to the wrong spot.

Did it on my tank later and 1 shot it. I just stood in the middle during intermissions chucking my brew onto the hundred or so adds people spawned and it was fine.

I really liked the fight. It was nice with a challenge.

I joined in as a tank on the fight, I wasn't aware of how many times they wiped before it. I put 4 markers down, I told 4 groups to go to one of the four colors, and put a healer there. I told them to stack for this, spread for that, etc.

The tank asked me if I knew what to do, I assumed he did.. he didn't. Two of the conduits leveled up because as I'd taunt to move the boss, he'd taunt back and I couldn't get it to move. Apparently it's pretty common in LFR that PEOPLE DON'T SPEAK OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH, and that happens.

Though it was LFR and I noticed a few things, one being his throw only throws you about 5 yards, that decapitate doesn't hurt that much, and that through the use of my cooldowns I pretty much solo tanked the entire fight after the first wipe. Last phase I believe I had 60+ stacks of his debuff before a warlock actually soul stoned me and I had to pop and tank it again because despite yelling for a taunt, never got it.. lol.

I guess the point I'd like to make is, it is a VERY easy fight on LFR, if people do what you ask... and despite what attitude you may have toward the people in LFR, they want to succeed on killing a boss and will listen and you will accomplish it. It was definitely the most difficult fight I've done in terms of LFR.

And that is why I feel raiding in LFR is a joke. There is rarely if ever communication and people often times do their own thing.

However, often times you may get folk willing to work together, most times hoping to stay through it to get their valor points and a chance at loot.

But bosses like this was a sure indicator why raiding cannot be done via the LFR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Though it was LFR and I noticed a few things, one being his throw only throws you about 5 yards, that decapitate doesn't hurt that much, and that through the use of my cooldowns I pretty much solo tanked the entire fight
    ^ This. I kinda laughed the first time I saw it, but P1 and P2 are easily solo tankable. P3... not so much. Unless you're a pally and you can salv yourself and let him rampage on the raid til your stacks fall off.

We 1-shot it in a non-premade group.
    It was very evident that more than half the group really knew what they were doing.
    The only organization that was made is splitting groups for inter-phases.

I can see how shit can posssibly hit the fan on that fight though.

It felt like a huge waste of time to me. First pull was obviously a wipe, second pull some people got the hang of it but still wipe, third pull most people got the hang of it but still wipe, fourth pull most people managed to forget tactics, fifth pull explain everything again and finally it was over.

Honestly it is just the ridiculous determination buff that gives the illusion of progression, people can and will actually forget tactics after a couple of wipes.

Waste of time. -_-

2 shot it the first day, no more interesting than any other LFR "boss".

I'm glad for the determ buff. I'd rather not spend all day in LFR wiping cause of a handful of new people not knowing way to do.

I'm so sick of the grieving though. On my first toon we 2shot him. I've fought him on two other toons and both times i've wiped 4+ times due to people pulling randomly and then bailing on the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Celoric View Post
    We 1-shot it in a non-premade group.
    It was very evident that more than half the group really knew what they were doing.
    The only organization that was made is splitting groups for inter-phases.

I can see how shit can posssibly hit the fan on that fight though.
    Then you had a very unusual group. I have yet in the three attempts I've been in to make it out in less than two hours and 5-7 stacks of determination. I don't mind LFR being somewhat challenging. What I mind is that so many of the mechanics can have such ill effects for the raid if someone isn't doing their job. The other encounters work fine because ignoring a mechanic will usually only get that person killed. Now it summons swarms of adds, spreads them out, possibly stunning the whole raid. Nice fight, but it really goes against what Blizzard devs have stated that they don't expect that level of coordination out of pugs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
    Then you had a very unusual group. I have yet in the three attempts I've been in to make it out in less than two hours and 5-7 stacks of determination. I don't mind LFR being somewhat challenging. What I mind is that so many of the mechanics can have such ill effects for the raid if someone isn't doing their job. The other encounters work fine because ignoring a mechanic will usually only get that person killed. Now it summons swarms of adds, spreads them out, possibly stunning the whole raid. Nice fight, but it really goes against what Blizzard devs have stated that they don't expect that level of coordination out of pugs.
    What mechanic are you talking about that can wipe the raid? Its really just the tanks. Everything else can be taken care of by other people as well. The only ones with the power of wiping the raid upon fuck-up are the tanks and even then 1 good tank is enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my main, one shot. 2 of us died because nobody would stack with us so splat we went. But the boss died so w/e. I went with a friends guild that hadn't downed it on an alt. Was the absolute most painful experience I've had in LFR (until yesterdays Durumu-Dark Animus LFR but that's another issue). Even after I explained who goes where, what to do and having the majority of the raid composed of the friends guild, they still couldn't comprehend it. Took 9 wipes to knock some sense into them and it was still a clusterfuck. It'll get nerved very soon! Trying to get people to stack, spread, move boss here or there, etc is really too much for LFR dweebs. =P

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    ^ This. I kinda laughed the first time I saw it, but P1 and P2 are easily solo tankable. P3... not so much. Unless you're a pally and you can salv yourself and let him rampage on the raid til your stacks fall off.
    solod it as a paly tank did not need salv but the dps in the raid was decent so meh didnt last long CDs ftw rediculous healing output as well from high vengeance numbers