Leveling up Warlock

Hi,

Quick question, what spec is considered to be the best/fastest way to level up from 1-85/90?

Thx in advance.

No idea about 1-85 but I certainly felt extremely fast leveling as destruction from 85-90. For the most part it'll take a series of conflagrate chaos bolt shadowburn and the mob is dead, extra points if you can havoc the chaos bolt.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

I recently leveled from 80-90. Although I can't speak before that, from my understanding pretty much any spec on any class makes leveling laughable.

Anyways, I leveled 80-85 as Affliction. Soulburn:Soul Swap made running and dotting extremly easy. Every 4th mob I would Drain Soul just to replenish my Soul Shards before moving on.

I'm sure you could level all the way to 90, but since I wanted to play Destro at 90, I respeced. I've also heard that the mob health in MOP makes bursting as Destro better spec... either way, with a Void Lord leveling was extremely easy as Destro.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Deleted
    Any of the specs work, but I would somewhat recommend against Demonology. As Demonology, you pretty much use the Felguard (Wrathguard with Supremacy) which unfortunately has no tankability at all(For clarification, by tankability I mean it's ability to absorb damage, it does have a threat aura similar to the Void Lord but can take a lot less damage). On top of that, Doom is a big part of Demonology and most mobs will die before Doom can really do much. Demonology tends to not have quite as much survivability as the other two specs, considering Affliction can very easily heal your pet (Soul Burn Health Funnel) and Destruction can very easily heal yourself (Ember Tap).

I personally would go Destruction. Mana is a complete non factor as Destruction thanks to Chaotic Energy, you have a heal (Ember Tap) and you can instantly resummon your pet if it dies thanks to Flames of Xoroth. It also has built in CC thanks to the Conflagrate slow as well as massive damage through Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn. As a bonus, if Shadowburn either kills, or the 5 second debuff is present as the mob dies, you gain the Burning Ember back and gain a free one, thus allowing you to have no downtime and plenty of Burning Embers to keep going.

Affliction works alright, but it's not quite as fast from my experience and doesn't have quite as much built in synergy/utility that is so easily accessed, by which I mean, you can slow with Curse of Exhaustion, but Destruction slows inherently through Conflagrate.

When you gain access to Grimoire of Supremacy with your Void Lord, you are unkillable unless you do something silly, it's just a matter of time, there won't be anything you can't solo/kill while questing.

TL;DR: Destruction w/ Grimoire of Supremacy, proceed to be godly.
    Last edited by mmoc910f887fec; 2013-04-19 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CheryChocie View Post
    Any of the specs work, but I would somewhat recommend against Demonology. As Demonology, you pretty much use the Felguard (Wrathguard with Supremacy) which unfortunately has no tankability at all. On top of that, Doom is a big part of Demonology and most mobs will die before Doom can really do much. Demonology tends to not have quite as much survivability as the other two specs, considering Affliction can very easily heal your pet (Soul Burn Health Funnel) and Destruction can very easily heal yourself (Ember Tap).

I personally would go Destruction. Mana is a complete non factor as Destruction thanks to Chaotic Energy, you have a heal (Ember Tap) and you can instantly resummon your pet if it dies thanks to Flames of Xoroth. It also has built in CC thanks to the Conflagrate slow as well as massive damage through Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn. As a bonus, if Shadowburn either kills, or the 5 second debuff is present as the mob dies, you gain the Burning Ember back and gain a free one, thus allowing you to have no downtime and plenty of Burning Embers to keep going.

Affliction works alright, but it's not quite as fast from my experience and doesn't have quite as much built in synergy/utility that is so easily accessed, by which I mean, you can slow with Curse of Exhaustion, but Destruction slows inherently through Conflagrate.

When you gain access to Grimoire of Supremacy with your Void Lord, you are unkillable unless you do something silly, it's just a matter of time, there won't be anything you can't solo/kill while questing.

TL;DR: Destruction w/ Grimoire of Supremacy, proceed to be godly.
    Thank you for very detailed answer, Destruction seems to be the way to go then

Leveling as Demonology is certainly doable, and CheryChocie is wrong. The Felguard is a fine tank. It has an extra threat aura you can turn on and off. I switched from Affliction to Demonology at 87 for leveling and noticed no change in my ability to kill stuff.

Basically any of the 3 specs with a GoSup Voidlord (GoSup Felguard if Demo). Personally I'd recommend against Aff at lower levels due to not having all the dots and Soulburn: Soul Swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Leveling as Demonology is certainly doable, and CheryChocie is wrong. The Felguard is a fine tank. It has an extra threat aura you can turn on and off. I switched from Affliction to Demonology at 87 for leveling and noticed no change in my ability to kill stuff.

Basically any of the 3 specs with a GoSup Voidlord (GoSup Felguard if Demo). Personally I'd recommend against Aff at lower levels due to not having all the dots and Soulburn: Soul Swap.
    I don't understand why so many people say Demo is bad for leveling. The Felguard at lower levels does great damage.

Between Hand of Guldan slow, Shadow Fury, and demonic leap... you can kite groups of mobs all day long. Add is Soul Consumption glyph and Harvest life and your laughing.

If you kill a target while in demon form you get 100 Demonic Fury. With Soul Consumption glyph you heal for 20% your HP when you kill a mob in demon form.

Pull kite and whittle down as many mobs as you feel like with Corruption, Hand of Guldan, and harvest life and when you have enough fury go meta, immo aura and unlaod on them. If done right you will end with full fury and full health ready for the next pull. Don't bother about healing your pet who will be sharing agro with you as when he dies you just insta summon a new one. If your health dips a little low at any point, AoE stun, leap away and AoE snare them with guldan. You'll be able to harvest life back to full while they slowly walk over to you.

This all said, as somebody mentioned above... all of our specs are great for leveling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post

Ok, I'll rephrase, it has none of the defensive abilities of the Voidwalker and tankability in the sense of how much of a beating it can take, in which case it pales in comparison to the Void Walker/Void Lord. I phrased that badly though.

I'll reiterate, I advised against it, I didn't say it was bad, any of them work.

Quite simple, Demo is the best spec to level with. You can pull 10 to 15 mobs with ease, Corruption all of them, double hog, meta imo aura, shadowfury, voidray and havest life everything while your felgaurd felstorms, nothing can beat this. Lvling demo in dungeons, is so op doing this. For lower levels, imp swarm with toc is so good nothing will touch you.

Quote Originally Posted by lichanator View Post
    Quite simple, Demo is the best spec to level with. You can pull 10 to 15 mobs with ease, Corruption all of them, double hog, meta imo aura, shadowfury, voidray and havest life everything while your felgaurd felstorms, nothing can beat this. Lvling demo in dungeons, is so op doing this. For lower levels, imp swarm with toc is so good nothing will touch you.
    You get void ray at level 77.

I think destro is the best, but it's incredibly boring and without fel flame it feels like you have 3 abilites. For some idiotic reason Chaos Bolt doesn't get a reduced cast time with conflagrate unless your like level 87 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Yeah forgot that, regardless, without void ray, nothing can beat demo in dungeons lvling fullstop. at lvl 25 you get imp swarm glyph with meta and toc for single target nothing will catch you, especially with BOA's on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post

I think destro is the best, but it's incredibly boring and without fel flame it feels like you have 3 abilites. For some idiotic reason Chaos Bolt doesn't get a reduced cast time with conflagrate unless your like level 87 or something.
    I never used Fel Flame while leveling. Maybe once or twice to tag a mob. You should be using Backdraft stacks on Chaos Bolts anyway with Destro. Imo Destro is really fun because of Shadowburn refunding Embers +1. You get basically infinite embers. Also when AoEing you get soooo much ember regen, you are basically invincible because Ember Tap has no cooldown. I don't even think you need the Void Lord tbh, just pick any pet and tank yourself.

Deleted
    personaly, demology is just amazig for leveling, by far the best spec to level with. you just dot the mobs while your demon is shreding them.. nonestop.