Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it worth coming back to WoW in this stage of the expansion?

Am I going to find it incredibly hard to catch up gear wise for both pve and pvp? Will I like it? (I loved vanilla to WoltK, didn't particularly like Cata)

When is the next expansion due out?

Also how are ret paladins now? used to play that class with a mage as an alt.

Thanks!

LFR will help with gearing - just beware, it can be a grating experience with inexperienced groups

If you have friends still playing or know a good guild, latch on and immerse yourself in them!

MoP I've found has been a good leap forward in terms of storytelling, the raids have cool themes and pandaland is pretty expansive with lots to do...LOTS to do. It can almost be overwhelming, but at least there's always something to do, particularly coming back in

Next expansion o.O like months and months away? 5.3 hasn't even come out yet, 5.2 is still young and 5.4 is just a whisper atm.

Ret paladins...I've seen them be great assets to the raid in the hands of skilled and geared players, but lacking if not. Mages are in a good place atm, but partially limited to frost without 500+ ilvl gear (some people reckon 520+ is the minimum for the fire/arcane to be reliable).
    "Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their fate" - Judge Bergan

The notion that nature can be calculated inevitably leads to the conclusion that humans too can be reduced to basic mechanical parts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowconundrum View Post
    If you have friends still playing or know a good guild, latch on and immerse yourself in them!
    That's the killer you see. My server is low population and none of my real life friends play anymore, so I imagine I could get quite lonely, but I guess I can always make new friends in game - especially if I migrate server.

Deleted
    Heh! Funny that my main is Ret pala and Mage is my 2nd main.

I'd say that coming back now and geting gear in old LFR's is quite easy now (there is this scenario that rewards you tons of coin tokens that give extra roll in old raids) - takes about 2 weeks to deck your character into ~483 gear level. From there you can sport new raid LFR's with aren't really drop-friendly (at least for me).

Ret DPS single target is rather shitty, but I've made it work with a good priority addon. Fights where AOE is required - rets shine as they currently have sorta sick AOE dps. So it's topping aoe-heavy fights, and fall a bit middle of a pack in single target fights.

On mages - MoP started out with Fire being really cool and having a nice mechanism and little tricks could make it Imba (Alter time and Presence of mind tricks to shoot 6 pyros in row and then make giant Combustions which you could spread to other targets) but then Combustion got nerfed to noodles, crit strike rating nerfed, all fire spells SP scaling and base damage reduced and now is weakest of all mage specs which without enough crit feels really shitty. If you have BiS gear it's a good spec to play (since you get good Crit), but far from being imba, and sucks totally if you are just in medicore gear. Basicly Fire mage is left for those that can get really good gear - if you are decked in LFR gear + some valour upgrades - it's not worth going this spec at all.
    Then there was a bit of Arcane love for 1 patch - which was sorta Ok'ish on fights where you can stand still. But now arcane is "supposedly" good spec but in practice it sucks since numbers you put out are just meeh.
    Frost spec is now what most mages use - and i got to say there are no spec in game that is THAT boring to play (just my opionion, as i've played 8 different classes). No pet-aoe freeze for Fingers of frost, all you do is Fb Fb Fb Fb put a bomb on target, Fb Fb Fb and use instants that triggers now and then. So compared to super-active ret dps playstyle where there are basicy 7 abilities you use to dps, playing mage afterwards feels like using 1 cell of a brain to dps. Fire mage was a great fun spec (thats why I played mage in first place), but now that you got to play trololofrost spec mage has pretty much died on me. So I'd advice to play Ret paladin with a tank offspec for you if you return to wow this expansion but don't expect to be topping solo-boss encounters (you will have teeth full of rogue dust).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Ret DPS single target is rather shitty, but I've made it work with a good priority addon. Fights where AOE is required - rets shine as they currently have sorta sick AOE dps. So it's topping aoe-heavy fights, and fall a bit middle of a pack in single target fights.
    Heh man, your really making me want to install it and play some ret pala! Do you know any favorable servers I could transfer to for horde side (Active guilds, high population)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recurrence View Post
    Heh man, your really making me want to install it and play some ret pala! Do you know any favorable servers I could transfer to for horde side (Active guilds, high population)?
    Kazzak is 90% horde. And high.
    I Prefer Outland 40% horde 60% alliance, alot WPvP alot raiding alot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    Kazzak is 90% horde. And high.
    I Prefer Outland 40% horde 60% alliance, alot WPvP alot raiding alot of fun.
    Yeah guess a more balanced server is a better experience overall, thanks a lot bro!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

The Cross realm zones and cross-realm grouping for raids are a big boon as well for low pop servers.

Deleted
    I started playing again about 2 weeks ago on a new server and it's pretty easy to gear up,
    like other's said join a fun and social guild and you'll be leveled and geared in no time

And yeah Outland is a good realm if you loggin early enough ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Good expansion to come back to, content is pretty fun for most. The challenging aspect of raiding is slowly returning! I've stated before, for those who haven't raided in awhile and are looking for that "challenging" aspect of raiding, this is a pretty good expansion for that! Also the lore is very filling in MOP

Its very easy to gear up for PVE, dunno about PVP. Especially if you have money to buy PVP gear off Auction house, do a handful of heroic dungeons (very little competition for gear since most people are doing them for rep and valor now, and go to thunder isle and kill rare for vault purple key, do a treasure chest run and suck in as many greater coins as possible which will give you extra loot rolls in LFR. There are also items that allow you to fight mogu ghosts that drop chests that give you 3 coins each. you can easily get 20 per week.

Then you plunge LFR and blow coins until you hit ilevel high enough to enter current content. It took me 1 week to get raid worthy for Throne of Thunder with my new alt. The drop rate is high enough that with coins I get 2 items per lfr run. Your first purchase with valor should be the 522 necklace from shado pan assault in island of thunder, it requires 0 rep.

I only play an hour a day and 6 hours on fridays. I max rep by friday and level alts until tuesdays restart.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2013-04-19 at 03:49 PM.

If you just want to get into LFR, gearing up should be no problem.

Normal mode raids, though, I'm not sure you'll be able to catch up at this point.

Casual (honor gear) PvP will work better after 5.3.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

To catch up gearwise will be easy. If you will like it something entirly different.
    It's not the same game it was back in WotLK. Not at all.

I loved TBC and WoTLK, but Cata and MoP has couldn't hold my interest past the second content patch.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Komati View Post
    To catch up gearwise will be easy. If you will like it something entirly different.
    It's not the same game it was back in WotLK. Not at all.

I loved TBC and WoTLK, but Cata and MoP has couldn't hold my interest past the second content patch.
    Isn't WoW, you just grown font of WoW, take a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Retribution Paladins and Mages were still great all around to play last time I logged in February, but I'm not the type of person to bitch about an ability going from +240% damage to 230% damage and making dramatic threads about how my class is broken, so a lot of people might disagree.

As far as questing/dungeons/LFR/BG-PVP were concerned though, I had no problems doing any of them, except in PVP up until the point where I got ganked by 3 Deathknights and Rogues or crap like that.

The expansion itself is pretty useless. The best parts you'll enjoy are probably the on the side AllianceVSHorde part of the lore, like the beach invasions from the patch before last and any other quests integrated through the continent.

The leveling zone for the pandaren is pretty great on the Wandering Isle (a huge turtle). Those pandaren are pretty cool and more down to earth and actually likeable, but the mainland pandaren make you want to burn the place to the ground.

Leveling on the mainland from 85-90 is a bore: the dungeons make no sense the first time you do them, half of the quests involve killing either monkeys or types of evil rabbits/crap like that, the main villain while leveling feels cheap and uninvolved and most of the characters are forgettable. There's nothing interesting or even remotely original about pandaren. Tauren have a Native Indian mixed with Mayan kind of thing, Draenei are space fearing goats, Worgen are Werevolves living in 19th century England and Goblins are Ferengi with an explosive penchant for destruction. Pandaren are China, simply put. You will be bored.

If you're a hardcore Warcraft fan you'll probably be pissed by the pandaren hypocrisy permeating everywhere which tells you on one side to enjoy life and be peaceful and the next sends you to slaughter every living thing in sight.

Getting gear is a chore. If you come home from work and want to play a video game to relax, WoW will probably make you go to bed more tired than when you arrived from work. People will tell you that you have to work for your gear, although I never understand why, since this is a video game, which is supposed to be fun and relaxing.
    You'll have to do daily quests for about two months before you can even get into starter level LFR, after which you'll have to farm the shitty LFR loot system before you can ascend higher level LFR, about 3 months, by which point you'll be in September and you'll already be behind the latest patch about 2-3 months and the next expansion will launch probably December/January.

Is it worth it 15$/month? I don't believe so. If this were Wrath I'd say yes, since Wrath raids at least had life to it and a factor of Warcraft continuity, but this expansion's raids are lackluster and lacking any sense at all.

Hope this helps, it's your money either way, try it for a month and see how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    There's nothing interesting or even remotely original about pandaren. Tauren have a Native Indian mixed with Mayan kind of thing, Draenei are space fearing goats, Worgen are Werevolves living in 19th century England and Goblins are Ferengi with an explosive penchant for destruction. Pandaren are China, simply put. You will be bored..
    Yes, because if something has a theme then its boring. *roll eyes!* I disregarded your opinion as a legitimate discussion the moment I read this. "Okay Mister, Thanx B-Bai!"

OP the only way you can tell if you are going to like something is to sink 15 bucks into the game and play for a month. Don't ask if you are going to enjoy something because the only responces you will get will be "Hater's gonna hate and fanboys gonna fan", neither opinion has any meaning for you, only you can decide if you like something by experiencing it.

Is it easy to gear up? Yes. Especially with greater coins from the isle of thunder.
    Is it worth coming back? To a hater No, to me yes. The only way you can tell if it is worth it is to come back and try it with an open mind. If you come back looking for a reason to hate the game then you are going to hate it. If you dont like panderan then don't play one.

If you want a free taste of panderia then open a free account up (level til 20) and do the panderan starter zone. It will at least give you a taste of MoP.

No, you are too far behind in faction rep now, its over for you already. Plus its boring and tedious trying to get your toon as well as any other alts exalted and conquest/ valor capped. The raids are so over tuned you wont make the cut unless you know every bit of the fights also and are overgeared for them. People say just get the coins to use to help you gear up but you cant even unlock dailies until you do all the quests leading up to them, so scratch alts off the lists unless you like spending 10 hrs a day playing wow.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2013-04-19 at 06:23 PM.

It's easier to get caught up in gear now relative to vanilla, and TBC. So if you didn't mind getting caught up in those expansions, then you will find gearing up really fast.

If you expect to get gear at the speed it was given out in Cataclysm, then you will find that it takes a bit longer.

And you don't have to do any dailies for anything anymore, which is great relative to the beginning of MoP.

If you haven't played in a long time and are going to be going back to a low population server you may want to just reroll on another. It is as easy at it has ever been to catch up in gear for pve, pvp is still a bit easier then before but if nothing else you could get yourself set for the next season.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    It's easier to get caught up in gear now relative to vanilla, and TBC. So if you didn't mind getting caught up in those expansions, then you will find gearing up really fast.

If you expect to get gear at the speed it was given out in Cataclysm, then you will find that it takes a bit longer.

And you don't have to do any dailies for anything anymore, which is great relative to the beginning of MoP.
    If you dont do the quest lines you will be phased in certain areas, like vale of eternal blossoms, the whole area is empty if you didnt do the quest to get in and instead just got a ride to shrine of two moons.