Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You don't pay for water itself, you pay for the service of having it piped it to your house.

This guy is a moron. I'll assassinate him myself if he tries to turn water into a commodity. Greedy fucks like this need to be removed from humanity.

Next he'll try to privatize the air....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manipulation View Post
    In the USA it's around $35-$100 a month. If a water heater is leaking, more. If a pipe bursts, it can hit $200. Right now you're paying MORE than you'd end up paying if there was competition. You have ONE source for your water, take it or leave it. And oh yeah, let's not forget your Brita so the water you already pay for doesn't taste like sulfur.

Basically, if your water bill is nearly nothing, so is your cell phone and cable bill.
    If you maintain your home, it's not that much. I pay $30 a month. for the treatment and delivery of water. If someone is paying $100 a month, they either have a large family, or they waste water.

I turn off the water when brushing my teeth and also shaving. Only turning it on when I actually need it. I take short showers. I turn water off inbetween dishes when washing them.

And btw, my cell phone bill is $95 a month, and I do not watch cable, I subscribe to netflix which is $8 a month, if I got cable that would be at least $80 a month. My internet is $55 a month.

My water bill is considerably lower than my other utilities and luxuries.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2013-04-19 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manipulation View Post
    Water bills where Nestle does most of its business is not fixed, is controlled by the government and has no competition.

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 08:34 AM ----------

Where did he say he wanted to up the price? Your whole whinefest is based on.....nothing. This is a problem with communication, he's using big words you are too lazy to google. Much easier to get riled up over nothing. That's what folks do these days isn't it? Info at the touch of a button and you are too lazy to use that button? It's why so many of you come across as moronic, your opinions are based on info you don't have. It's just the epitome of laziness.
    Your insane if you believe any corporation wants to take over a particular industry to decrease profits. They would be out of business before the ink dried. Give control of water to private industries and we would be on a quick path to some obscene future where pure water is a luxury like liquor. I understand you may read his statement and believe this particularly rich nut-job is trying to give water an intrinsic value so people view it as a commodity worth more then air. However, he did not get where he is by giving anything away for free or at a loss. At the very least he would charge exactly what government institutions charge to maintain the water system, on the normal side he would do it at a profit based on his business's yearly growth rate. He gets his way you will pay more, case closed. He is not a business man for no reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, it should be privatized. It's not like the government can create water for free, you know...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotus View Post
    Your insane if you believe any corporation wants to take over a particular industry to decrease profits. They would be out of business before the ink dried. Give control of water to private industries and we would be on a quick path to some obscene future where pure water is a luxury like liquor. I understand you may read his statement and believe this particularly rich nut-job is trying to give water an intrinsic value so people view it as a commodity worth more then air. However, he did not get where he is by giving anything away for free or at a loss. At the very least he would charge exactly what government institutions charge to maintain the water system, on the normal side he would do it at a profit based on his business's yearly growth rate. He gets his way you will pay more, case closed. He is not a business man for no reason.
    This indeed is what is implied by a private company who wants to make something marketable.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're late, we already did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like trying to push a tractor trailer up a hill.

Nestle are probably one of the most evil companies on the planet. I unfortunately like their stuff too much to boycott too but the whole baby killing thing...

Basically nestle in 3rd world countries pay doctors to tell mothers that formula milk is better than breast milk. This is in countries where the water supply is... suspect at best. Result: babies dying of malnutrition while the mother stops producing due to the "free supply of awesome formula milk". Then they have to pay for it AND use shitty water to make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

They really ARE a very shitty company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Resources are for those who can take and hold them, tough nuts for those who cant.

A lot of people could have free water if they wanted to go to the trouble of collecting it. Rainfall can be collected, and unless the air in your area is pitifully polluted it's almost pure.

Municipal water is just easier. It's pretty darn cheap too unless you're wasting it.

Bullshit. Of course should water be a human right. We can't live without it... it's just like air.

In South Korea you get water for free, where ever you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    A very small percentage of the earths water is drinkable, not only because it is salt water, but because of the pollution and destruction we've caused to Rivers, Streams & Waterways.
    Water will become much more of a commodity then it is already in the future.
    Every second clouds form and billions of liters pure water are raining down. I think water problems are always local and never global problems.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I don't really get what it is he wants to change. Water itself is in great abundance in many countries. Drinkable water needs to be processed (more or less, depending on where you are geographically) and piped to your house. This service already carries a pricetag. Does he want to give H2O a price/litre which he can add to the already existing price of water or what? As a customer this would be detrimental for me, since in Sweden the government runs water production and it's a non-profit business, the fee paid by consumers should only cover the expenses of the service.

There are some things the market should stay he hell away from imo, and water is definitely one of them. He can sell grossly overpriced bottles of tapwater and be happy with that in my opinion.

Deleted
    Many posters in here sound like they don't understand what privatizing water supplies in a country really means and entails. I advice you to look at France and some really good documentaries regarding that. Arte had some really, really informative documentaries on that - but they are in German or French, so I don't think me searching for them and linking them would help all that much.

All in all: Privatizing water is a disgusting practice. Companies in countries where this was established took over the plumping and piping systems provided by the government, took the money, upped the prices (no, there is no competition, because of the plumping and piping network) and runs down the network without investing. Some parts in France had massive problems because of that. You know: privatize earnings, but socialize losses. That's how they went about it. Nestlé is a BIG player in France regarding the privatized water market. They use the fact that many communities and cities are short on money to rip them off.

Anybody thinking Nestlé is mostly about cereals and breakfast doesn't know much about them. For a long time they are a major player regarding the private water sector and make ridiculous amounts of money off of it.

been boycotting those bastards for years

http://www.businessinsider.com/nestl...al-2012-6?op=1
    somebody call for d doctor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Every second clouds form and billions of liters pure water are raining down. I think water problems are always local and never global problems.
    Except, for your claim to be true, the rain water would have to be clean and pure. But that's not the case anymore. I was under the belief that this is common knowledge nowadays.

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/what/
    http://www.acidrain.org/

Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-04-19 at 02:22 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    You don't pay for water itself, you pay for the service of having it piped it to your house.

This guy is a moron. I'll assassinate him myself if he tries to turn water into a commodity. Greedy fucks like this need to be removed from humanity.

The really sad thing is, if they somehow found a way to do this, corporations would try.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I don't really get what it is he wants to change. Water itself is in great abundance in many countries.
    773 million people on Earth are without access to water. Over 3 mio people die every year due to water related diseases.

http://water.org/
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I am already boycutting Nestlé, they are not paying tax in Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    Many posters in here sound like they don't understand what privatizing water supplies in a country really means and entails. I advice you to look at France and some really good documentaries regarding that. Arte had some really, really informative documentaries on that - but they are in German or French, so I don't think me searching for them and linking them would help all that much.

All in all: Privatizing water is a disgusting practice. Companies in countries where this was established took over the plumping and piping systems provided by the government, took the money, upped the prices (no, there is no competition, because of the plumping and piping network) and runs down the network without investing. Some parts in France had massive problems because of that. You know: privatize earnings, but socialize losses. That's how they went about it. Nestlé is a BIG player in France regarding the privatized water market. They use the fact that many communities and cities are short on money to rip them off.

Anybody thinking Nestlé is mostly about cereals and breakfast doesn't know much about them. For a long time they are a major player regarding the private water sector and make ridiculous amounts of money off of it.
    I'm not surprised. When major infrastructure is privatized it seems to go down the tube for the consumers in every case I've seen. Notable examples in Sweden are the electricity market and train transport market. Both have gotten significantly more expensive and in the case of transport by train the quality is much worse since non-profitable train stretches are either cut down severely or cancelled outright.