Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's even more silly since he practically negates the regen of the rest of his healer team until he himself is oom by preventing them from meaningful spending the mana that regen would generate on healing.

Deleted
    It's definitely a retarded playstyle, but Havoc brings up a good point. If he's taking care of all the healing required for the first half of the fight, how are you two not able to deal with the rest having full mana+cds, normal megaera isn't so difficult that you need all 3 healers to go all out during a rampage (even if it's the last)? Yes, he's making some poor decisions, but you should probably look at your own play as well^^.

Your discipline priest probably needs to have someone talk to him about healing being a team effort and playing nicely with others. Disc and hpally masteries don't play well with resto shaman mastery. However, on Maegera 10N, the responsible, team player discipline priest will be spending the early fight doing a lot of dps/atonement healing. Archangel PoH/PoM the early rampages. Glyph your dispel and do that. Everyone uses a little mana at the beginning and gets mana from their regen. If the priest is blowing every cooldown in the spellbook early, perhaps the raid leader needs to spend some time assigning cooldowns for each rampage. Knowledge is power. If the resto shaman knows that a spirit shell is up at the beginning of a rampage, he won't blow healing tide (as an example).

Healing is a team effort (more so than dps). There is much more overhealing opportunity than overkill opportunity. Your mana and cooldowns as a healing team + the dps/tank raid cooldowns you have available are your resources for the fight. Use them wisely (and cooperatively).

Based on his HPS he is likely spamming PW:S as most people suggested.

The reason he is going OOM is because rapture can only proc for us every 12 seconds and returns the same amount of mana back regardless of how many shields we spam (the % is based on our spirit). As a disc priest I normally top meters so that isn't new, however, since he is playing like disc priests did back in Lich king.. of course he is going OOM super quickly and you should advice him to play more mana efficiently.
    Last edited by Teegs; 2013-04-22 at 08:39 PM.

Deleted
    If attonment is top of there heals then they need to use the right heals and not just lazy mode it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    If attonment is top of there heals then they need to use the right heals and not just lazy mode it.
    Total BS. Atonement is "the right heal" in most situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    Total BS. Atonement is "the right heal" in most situations.
    Atonement only tops my heals by a large margin on +dmg fights (eg Horridon). Other fights, its a wash with PWS or SS or DA (but yes, some of the DA comea from Atonement). And yea, I do often rank.

Quote Originally Posted by jpleveille View Post
    our priest has something like +140k HPS, 20~30k DPS (huh?), while me and the Holy Paladin are standing at a mere 20k HPS (with lot of overhealing - even from my totems).
    He must be spamming shields, which is a fantastic way to go OOM. That's not the way you're supposed to play disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Teegs View Post
    Based on his HPS he is likely spamming PW:S as most people suggested.

The reason he is going OOM is because rapture can only proc for us every 12 seconds and returns the same amount of mana back regardless of how many shields we spam (the % is based on our spirit). As a disc priest I normally top meters so that isn't new, however, since he is playing like disc priests did back in Lich king.. of course he is going OOM super quickly and you should advice him to play more mana efficiently.
    if several shields are absorbed at the same time you will get more than one rapture proc, although the return on the rapture is fixed from your buffed spirit if your using a spi flask also. It just temporary procs that dont increase the mana back.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    if several shields are absorbed at the same time you will get more than one rapture proc, although the return on the rapture is fixed from your buffed spirit if your using a spi flask also. It just temporary procs that dont increase the mana back.
    First part is incorrect. Severely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    if several shields are absorbed at the same time you will get more than one rapture proc
    confirmed to be bullshit .
    It worked like this back in wrath and was shortly bugged in the same way sometime in t14, but was fixed after a week or so.

The good old days of LK getting 10 Rapture procs at once ... Heh, no more.

Shield spam would definitely explain all of these issues. Just tell him to re-bind smite to his PW:S key ... Seems like he'd do better overall.

Quote Originally Posted by jpleveille View Post
    After about 2m30s~3m into a fight (like Magaera-Normal), our priest has something like +140k HPS, 20~30k DPS (huh?), while me and the Holy Paladin are standing at a mere 20k HPS (with lot of overhealing - even from my totems). But the thing is, the priest already runs now out of mana while the heat of the fight just comes in, so we have to time Mana-Tide totems and Innervate in order to avoid that and even then, we can't get past the sixth head on Magaera because we can't sustain the damage from there, the priest just can't help at this point because he/she is OOM (it is worth nothing we also have an Ele shaman that helps with Healing Rain on rampages and the tank druid with Tranquility).
    Your story is fishy and you are obviously angry at recount. If 2 out of 3 healers only need to do 20k hps for the first 2-3 minutes of the fight, you and the other healer should be at full mana when the priest goes OOM and more than capable of finishing the rest of the fight.

Obviously your priest shouldn't be burning through his mana and doing nothing for the last half of the fight, but something tells me you are exaggerating and lying. Get some logs first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    If he's going OOM he needs to fix his amount of spirit for sure, disc should pretty much never have mana issues.
    Or rather, they should never stop you from healing. If you have leftover mana at the end of a fight, you have too much Spirit and should reforge deeper into crit/mastery. Reaching the "sufficient" amount of spirit for Disc is very manageable, and were I to gem and reforge for it, I could overshoot by about 5k spirit.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    He must be spamming shields, which is a fantastic way to go OOM. That's not the way you're supposed to play disc.
    PW:S is the raid equivalent of flash heal. Appropriate sometimes, but not sustainable.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    If he's running oom and having that high HPS, it's not a gear issue but a playstyle issue. 11k spirit isn't "low-end". It's a pretty comfortable number for 10 man. He's probably overusing PW:S.

And people who have never played disc should probably stop saying that he's "tunnel smiting". Smiting is pretty much mana-neutral, there's no way in hell anyone goes oom doing that. And he would be doing >50k dps.
    Agreed; 11k spirit is comfortably high. I run with 9k, and I'm shaving the razor's edge of not being able to cast sometimes. I'm still always casting though.

Deleted
    PWS is not equivalent to flash heal.

FH does a lot less healing for a lot more mana. PWS is a reasonably efficient single target heal especially when considering rapture. Spamming it all day long to pad the meters, instead of using a more efficient spells, because you can absorb the damage before it happens is counterproductive however.

Having mana at the end should never be the criterion for optimizing spirit. The main criterion should be how many casts can you sacrifice (due to going oom) before the gain from replacing spirit by throughput stats evaporates.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    FH does a lot less healing for a lot more mana. PWS is a reasonably efficient single target heal especially when considering rapture. Spamming it all day long to pad the meters, instead of using a more efficient spells, because you can absorb the damage before it happens is counterproductive however.
    You can only consider rapture on one PW:S per 12 seconds. When rapture is on cooldown, PW:S is very expensive - on purpose. Shield spam is not supposed to be sustainable in the long term.

only fight ill spam shield is H dark animus zzzzzz

and shield spamming isnt that bad (goes oom after shielding 6people for example doesnt make you oom straight away since 25% buff to PWS mana)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Skill in playing a healer does not only equate to good HPS, it also equates to playing mana efficient (which is hard to measure) and of course not failing.
    The perfect healer would pull reasonably high HPS and end the fight at 0 mana, but will always have enough mana if it's needed.
    It is not necessary for a good healer to pull insanely high HPS.
    If your healer pulls very high HPS but goes OOM long before the fight is over, then I would not consider him a good healer despite him rocking the HPS meters. When there is high damage and he is OOM, he cannot be relied upon to heal through it.
    So he should either play more mana efficient, or get more Spirit until he's comfortable with his mana regeneration rate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzete View Post
    You can only consider rapture on one PW:S per 12 seconds. When rapture is on cooldown, PW:S is very expensive - on purpose. Shield spam is not supposed to be sustainable in the long term.
    Even without rapture PW:S is a way more efficient spell than both GH & FH, especially since it can crit aswell now.

The perfect healer would pull reasonably high HPS and end the fight at 0 mana, but will always have enough mana if it's needed.
    This is a contradiction in itself, and wrong imo. Ending on 0% mana is not what you should be aiming for, in fact, what mana you end on doesn't really matter (unless it's stupidly high - reforge out of spirit then), as long as you heal effectively, and people don't die because of a lack of proper healing.
    Last edited by mmocc7373f9ee0; 2013-04-24 at 11:27 AM.

Ending the fight with mana is good. Ending the fight with a lot of mana is a sign that there might be room for improvement of the stat distribution; just as sign, not proof, though. It warrants checking, but it might still be optimal.
    Ending a real fight with zero mana or worse ending up with no mana during the fight is as good as proof that something was wrong. If the encounter was not designed to make you oom either there were mistakes during the fight or in preperation of the fight (which might just mean that your gear does not suffice).