Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Just got this from Blizzard "Dial In Authenticator Decommission"

Blizzard Customer Service <donotreply@blizzard.com>
    11:13 AM (19 minutes ago)

to me
    Greetings,

According to our records, a Dial-In Authenticator is currently in use on the Battle.net Account associated with this email address.

After reviewing our Battle.net security offerings, we have decided to simplify them while keeping the most effective and comprehensive protection available for players. As the Dial-In Authenticator only offers protection for World of Warcraft, we are removing it as a future security option. The Dial-In Authenticator will be removed from your account the week of April 22nd, 2013.

We encourage you to explore our alternative security options:

Battle.net Mobile Authenticator http://battle.net/support/article/100588
    Battle.net Authenticator http://battle.net/support/article/200780

We currently offer an additional layer of security management with Battle.net SMS Protect. The Battle.net SMS Protect service will generate and send informational text messages to your mobile device every time suspicious activity is detected, or if important changes are made on your account.

Battle.net SMS Protect will allow you to:

•Unlock your Battle.net account using your mobile phone
    •Remove an unwanted Battle.net Authenticator from your account
    •Recover your Battle.net account name
    •Reset your Battle.net password

More information on Battle.net SMS Protect can be found on our support site: http://battle.net/support/article/3300033

If you do not have the ability to add a Mobile Authenticator, please submit a ticket https://battle.net/support/ticket/submit and let us know, so we may look into assisting you further.

As always, be sure to keep your computer and Battle.net Account as secure as possible. Please review our Account and Computer Security article http://battle.net/support/article/300606 for more information on computer updates, web browsing safety, and email security.

Regards,

Customer Support
    Blizzard Entertainment
    http://battle.net/support

I only used it for D3

10+ Year Old Account
    Email seems pretty fake, most of times they say noreply, not donotreply
    Don't do a thing, contact blizzard personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Yeah I had a gold farmer try to get into my account by submitting a ticket asking to remove the authenticator from my account. I told them it wasn't me and they dropped the matter. So best thing you can do is contact them by phone if you think this is a real email, if you don't just delete it and move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the email was authentic, blizzard would have made a proper announcement via the usual feeds.., so don't respond to it.

You could contact Blizzard directly (avoid using any links from your email) and ask them if it is real.

Support for the dial-in autheticator was dropped months ago. Not sure if they left it operational for the people who were already using it, but it has not been a valid battle.net security option since July of last year. Maybe they noticed you had never changed it and sent you an e-mail saying basically "Hey, your account is not protected".

Also, D3 never supported the dial-in authenticators, so it wasn't really protecting your D3 account anyway.

But just to be sure, contact Blizzard (don't use the links in the e-mail) and find out. But you will very likely want to get another version of the authenticator as soon as possible.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Why do people think this is fake? Every single link points to the real battle.net/support/ site. They're not asking for information, just telling you "hey, this is happening and you might want to do X instead." They also dropped Dial-in Authenticator support right around the time they launched SMS Protect.

you even think this is real? i mean, you realy did?

c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Why do people think this is fake? Every single link points to the real battle.net/support/ site. They're not asking for information, just telling you "hey, this is happening and you might want to do X instead." They also dropped Dial-in Authenticator support right around the time they launched SMS Protect.
    haha, sorry but realy

HAHAHAHA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
    Holy shit reading that post made my eyes feel weird. My sight is superfocused too...

fuck this shit man I'm going to sleep

^This.

You people are far too paranoid. This email isn't asking you to do anything, it's simply informing you of upcoming changes.

Quote Originally Posted by webdonkey View Post
    you even think this is real? i mean, you realy did?

c'mon.

haha, sorry but realy

HAHAHAHA!
    Generally speaking, an email that contains no malicious links or attachments, follows known information (dial in authenticator being dropped), and suggests that the recipient increase the security of their account... is probably not fake.

Use your brain for a second here... what benefit would this email provide to a "hacker"? If it has no malicious links or attachments, it cannot be used to compromise your account. By suggesting increased security measures, it prevents compromise to the account.

Where is the harm to the recipient and benefit to the sender? There appears to be none. Why would anyone send out a fake email like this if it doesn't provide any gain?

I think you said it best, "haha, sorry but really".
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Generally speaking, an email that contains no malicious links or attachments, follows known information (dial in authenticator being dropped), and suggests that the recipient increase the security of their account... is probably not fake.

Use your brain for a second here... what benefit would this email provide to a "hacker"? If it has no malicious links or attachments, it cannot be used to compromise your account. By suggesting increased security measures, it prevents compromise to the account.

Where is the harm to the recipient and benefit to the sender? There appears to be none. Why would anyone send out a fake email like this if it doesn't provide any gain?

I think you said it best, "haha, sorry but really".
    Exactly. Guy should have thought before he started being a dick. The e-mail had no major errors, linked to all legitimate blizz sites, didn't seem too cryptic, provided no benefit to a faker, and just "seemed" ok. I was skeptical at first but eventually had no reason to laugh uncontrollably about it's authenticity.

Deleted
    The links are real, and there's no information that asks for personal information.

Unless there's some sort of attachment we're not seeing, I don't see why this'd be fake.

The one thing that stands out for me is the fact that the sender is "donotreply@blizzard.com" and every single mail I have from Blizzard - note that these are generally connected to tickets or cancelations of my subscription - (with a don't reply handle) is "noreply@blizzard.com". Might be a regional thing though.
    Last edited by mmoccdcfc5f8d6; 2013-04-19 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    i ignore every email with the word "blizzard" in it & always have. never done me any harm.

Uhm, the links we see here is what they LOOK like in the mail if the mail isn't plain text.
    If you copy paste them from a mail you only copy the label of the link.

And in mail it may lead somewhere else.
    Like this http://battle.net/support/article/100588
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just an informative message since they dropped support for the dial-in authenticator (which doesn't work with D3 or SCII anyway) that your account is no longer protected and telling you about the new SMS protect. Nowadays most people have smartphones anyway to get the free mobile authenticator and with the new system that only asks you for a code every month if you're logging in from the same IP, the inconvenience factor is largely removed. I wouldn't recommend directly clicking any of the links from the email and instead calling them or going direct to battle.net yourself, but it seems legit to me.

Just pick up the mobile authenticator, which works for battle.net and all Blizzard games, and is free. Or buy the keyfob which is free + shipping (or free shipping + cheap. whatever, it's peanuts).

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Uhm, the links we see here is what they LOOK like in the mail if the mail isn't plain text.

That's a good point.

Deleted
    Is it really genuine if it doesn't have a us.battle.net or eu.battle.net link just battle.net? Probably a spoofed link somehow, they have their sly sly sly wayz. I ignore any email with hyperlinks in it automatically and am still intact.

Probably a fake.

everything the email said was correct. did you not read the d3 forums? in the early months when nubs were getting hacked left and right, it was stated many times by blues and players that the dial-in was only for WoW. on d3, it did you no good.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can argue if this is fake until the cows come home, just ring Blizzard and all is good ;D

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post

Most modern browsers preserve the links when pasting between windows so I no reason to believe this was fake. Yours preserved just fine btw.

Bottom line though, the OP wasn't protected by a dial-in authenticator when playing D3 so no action is necessary on his part.