Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How many mmo's are to many?

Hello everyone

quick question for you fellows, How many MMO's would you say are to many to play at any one time? I currwently play WoW and thinking of playing Defiance and age of wushu! would you say 3 mmos are to many? I may even pick back up swtor.

Depends on how much leisure time you have, and how much time you expect to play per time period for each game.

Deleted
    Sometimes, I think that even playing one MMO is too much wasted time. Two, for me, are completely overkill. Tried it once, by playing WoW and Warhammer when it was new, at the same time.
    But hey, if you have the spare time/energy to do so,... by all means.

I play over ten mmos so I don't think three is too much.
    It beats the hell out of limiting myself to one game. I can come home, start dinner, and say to myself, "What genre do I want to play? Shooter, space sim, action rpg, rpg, 3rd person shoot/hack?" and then I log into an MMO that fits my desire.
    Growing up I got my hands on as many NES and SNES games as I could. I would have found the idea of picking ONE and playing that for single game for six and a half years ridiculous. However, when WoW came about I did just that. Over the past year I feel like I've rediscovered video gaming thanks to the explosion of excellent F2P games. I could NEVER go back to playing just one game. EVER.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I've played anywhere from 1 to about 10 at once. I only find it redundant when I'm subbed to a game I dislike, as some of them are F2P. Though, I will be 100% honest and say, when I was playing the 'about 10,' some where F2P games, and others were Beta/Alphas, so it's not like I had subs going for all of 'em.

Currently:

WoW (Main game)
    Minecraft (I run a 60 player server, so I call it a MMO)
    Rift (Subbed, play casually)
    A Final Fantasy game that I can't say
    A Marvel game about superheros I can't say
    Warframe (it's easy to jump in and out, it's free, too)
    Firefall (see Warframe, though I rarely play cause it's SO far from launch, Commander Founder, though)
    Guild Wars II

MMOs I have installed on my computer:

SWtOR
    Planetside II
    Scarlet Blade (What? I beta tested it!)
    Defiance Alpha Client
    End of Nations Alpha and Beta Clients (from before they "recalled" it)
    Age of Wushu
    Aion
    DCUO
    The Secret World
    TERA
    Wizardry Online

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

depends entirely on how much time you invest in each one, im currently playing defiance as well as wow and planetside 2 but i mainly just raid and cap valor on wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of MMO, I generally stick to one or two, mostly cause I prefer devoting time to one than over many, but at the same time I sometimes have a second one for when I want to do something different, so usually those two MMOs differ in style.
    It becomes too many when you become super NEET.

It really depends on you.

I only play World of Warcraft fully because of my work commitments. But I also have Guild Wars 2, and plenty of other Online Games I could play, but I don't want to commit to them, only for my work to suffer.

I can't play more than one. I've got too much of an all-or-nothing personality, so even 1 MMO could suck up all the free time I'd have available, and even time I don't have available.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Firefall
    this game is going to be awesome! also if you like mechwarrior type games, check out Hawken. i got in on the beta and im pretty sure its F2P. its fun to play every once in a while

10+ Year Old Account
    It's entirely relative to the amount of time you have. I don't see how one could play more than 3 and have any sort of decent character unless you'd already devoted an enormous amount of time to each of them individually and built up already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't waste your money on defiance, it has a shitload of stuff that needs to be fixed before it is playable(if you do plan on getting it I suggest waiting at least a month in hopes that Trion will fix the various bugs, server instability and piss-poor interface).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I'm playing super casually right now, but looking through my life I'm currently playing around 10 MMO's right now, with another 15+ installed that I'm not currently playing but will probably pick up when I put one of these down.

It all depends on how dedicated you want to get to a singular game, and how much free time you have.

I got horribly tired of MMOs, so I stick with other genre. If I ever play MMO, I turn on GW2 casually and do some events then log off.

Depends on personal free time.

One could play like an MMO for like 2-3 hours a day and accomplish a lot. Say you have about 6-8 hours of gaming time in a day, that's at the least 2 MMOs you can play a day.

If alternating MMOs played per day that would be like 14 potentially different MMOs in a week. Provided you have the free time, of course.

Current generation of MMOs no longer require the steep time in vestment of past games. World of Warcraft is a huge innovator in making the modern MMO very casual in play compared to the FF11/Vanguards/EQ of old. So much so, some of those old 1st wave MMOs still kicking now have far less time barriers than before.

Don't really need 40 hours a week in Guild Wars 2 or Tera to make progress these days. XD

Deleted
    Depends on the games and how you play them ... you'll need much more time to do "endgame" content in rift/swtor/... than in games like guildwars 2/planetside 2/defiance/...

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Don't waste your money on defiance, it has a shitload of stuff that needs to be fixed before it is playable(if you do plan on getting it I suggest waiting at least a month in hopes that Trion will fix the various bugs, server instability and piss-poor interface).
    oh come on, its not THAT bad right now, yea there are bugs and the ui could use some work but you can still finish the main story line easily enough with no problems

Deleted
    It depends on how committed you are to an individual MMO. I can easily see how you could casually play 2-3 MMOs at once.

But if you're a dedicated player then 1 MMO is quite enough.

Nitpick: it's too much, not to much.

Example: I want to go to Paris, but it is too far away.

"Too" is used to describe something relative to another like "I've had too much tea to drink".
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2013-04-20 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    Depends on the games and how you play them ... you'll need much more time to do "endgame" content in rift/swtor/... than in games like guildwars 2/planetside 2/defiance/...
    I really don't think that is true. Having progression raided in both those games from their respective launches.

Theme park MMO raids typically have lock outs. So at best you can do them once a week in most cases. During progression we typically raided about 4-5 nights a week at 3-4 hour sessions.

At some point eventually every guild enters farm mode. Where a single raid night is enough to clear all content in about 3 hours or less.

In Rift we had t2, t3 and t1.1 raids down to 2 nights a week. Clearing 2 distinct raids per tier in about 2 1/2 hours some nights.

During our SWTOR stint, it was about 2 hours once a week for all the modes.

The raiding environments in other games were about as trivial as the above in most cases. With the two exceptions being in recent years Rift circa Hammerknell and World of Warcraft circa Ulduar.

By contrast endgame in EQ/FF11 were raids that went an entire weekend in length. Or in RA where raids are 7 days a week.

Raiding doesn't really take a lot of time because the time frame in which one can enter a raid is already set by the game. In many cases the rewards/gear wall are an absolute, predefined staging as well.

For non progression raiders it would be even less of a time commitment as they only need to raid till they get bored.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-04-20 at 11:23 AM.

Deleted
    It depends on how serious you are in the game (casual or hardcore) and how much free time you got. Currently I play both WoW and old school Runescape, but I'm extremely casual at the moment.