Preparing for Challenge Modes

Hello everybody,

I want to try doing challenge modes as Frost DK in the near future.
    I don't have a group, but I hope I can find one via openraid.

Nontheless I want to know how to prepare.

I read that Hit/Exp isn't scaled down. This does mean that Higher ilvl items do give an advantage, through it isn't big, right?

Also, are there any special pieces of gear that are better in CMs than others?

Last but not least, what hints can you give me for doing challenge modes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher ilvl's do not provide any advantage, however loads of sockets do. A socket takes up a certain part of the item budget, thus trades stamina for w/e you gem.

The Amber Rod from the rarespawn in Kun Lai provides you with an addional instant cc / interupt on a 5 min cd.
    The banner that lets you get out of combat from the rarespawn near galleon can be very helpfull for healers if they have to drink during combat.
    Engineering as a profession is quite neat, i.e. rocket boots, invisibility tinker, you name it.
    The Legendary gems do NOT work, hence dont waste your metagem socket for one.

Deleted
    I can't really contribute to this thread, but I have a question for the people who can. Are set bonuses activated in CMs? Friend of mine told me they weren't, and it'll change my gearing a bit if that's true.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Set bonuses don't work.

-Wrathion's legendary +500 gem does not work, and neither do the new meta gems.

-All your gear will scale down to ilvl 463, you /may/ need to reforge a little accordingly.

-Normal sockets do work, and are an increase that you don't wanna pass up.

-A lot of pulls are simplified by the Battle Horn from Blackhoof.

-You need Invisibility Potions.

Deleted
    Might be worth reading through this thread from page 2: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lenge-mode-BiS

Deleted
    One thing you can do if you have alot of time and nothing to do is get the gear with the best stats for your spec (mastery for DW frost as an example) on pretty much all pieces. That and sockets. And trinkets with good procs. Even if scaled down some trinkets might have higher uptime etc than others, or provide a bonus good for a specific spec..

Thank you all so far.

Is it of any matter if I go for 2H- or DW-Frost, or can I pick my preferred spec?

Either spec works, but I'd argue that DW-Frost performs slightly better due to the fact you'll stack mastery which increases your HB damage which makes trash go by faster and killing trash quickly is a big part of challenge modes. I'm 9/9 gold and I've tanked and dps'd them all, but I'd really suggest just go with whichever spec you're more comfortable with.

Nice to hear that it shouldn't make a big difference, because I prefer 2H Frost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Nice to hear that it shouldn't make a big difference, because I prefer 2H Frost.
    I haven't got full gold yet but I have been through them all and have 4-5 gold so far (can't remember atm). 2h frost is absolutely fine if you prefer it, i'm very rarely not the top 2 in dps/damage for most pulls. Just remember to use your aoe priority because HB spam is king for CM's.

Also, I can't speak for anyone who is pushing for region best times or anything but I had no problems with using pure str gemming as I just used my current raid dps set at the time.

Pure strength is the way to gem for CM's. Haste only wins out on extended Patchwerk fights which you won't find in a CM nor would you reach high enough haste values.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    To add on what everyone above said, there's guides from the Aftermath guild for every Challenge mode.
    youtube.com/theyanger

Exceptional preparations are unnecessary tbh, especially as Frost. All you really need to do is Howling Blast, Obliterate and Frost Strike. I suppose it matters if you want to go for some sort of EU/US or server record but otherwise don't bother. Just give your tank a global before you Howling Blast, you don't want to get all the aggro and die immediately.

Thank you for making this guide