Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Speculation - 5.0 -> 5.5 and beyond

Based upon the current rate of change, my speculation on how things might go for the year:

2010-12-07[-94] Cataclysm
    2012-08-28[-04] MoP pre-expansion patch.
    2012-09-25[00] Mists of Pandaria
    2012-10-02[01] Arena Season 11 Starts
    2012-10-09[02] LFR Mogu'shan Vaults - Part 1
    2012-10-16[03] LFR Mogu'shan Vaults - Part 2
    -
    2012-11-06[06] LFR Heart of Fear - Part 1
    2012-11-13[07] LFR Heart of Fear - Part 2
    2012-11-20[08] LFR Terrace of Endless Spring
    2012-11-27[09] Content Patch 5.1 (+9 5.0)
    -
    2013-03-05[23] Raid Patch 5.2/Arena Season 11 Ends (+14 5.1)
    2013-03-12[24] LFR Throne of Thunder - Part 1/Arena Season 12
    2013-03-19[25] LFR Throne of Thunder - Part 2
    -
    2013-04-02[27] LFR Throne of Thunder - Part 3
    -
    2013-04-16[29] LFR Throne of Thunder - Part 4
    -
    2013-05-21[34] Content Patch 5.3 ?? (+11 5.2)
    -

2013-08-26[48] Raid Patch 5.4/Arena Season 12 Ends ?? (+14 5.3)
    -
    2013-11-06[57] Pre-Expansion Patch - based upon current speed ?? (+11 5.4)

2013-11-08[57] BLIZZCON
    2013-11-09[57] BLIZZCON

2013-12-10[62] Next Expansion - based upon current speed ??
    -[What fills up these 12 weeks ?]-
    2014-02-25[74] Pre-Expansion Patch - based upon 18 Month exp cycle ??
    2014-03-25[78] Next Expansion - based upon 18 Month exp cycle ??
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2013-05-18 at 03:28 PM.

The dates seem pretty plausible; didn't Blizzard confirm no more patches after 5.4 though? Or was it just raiding patches they confirmed?

5.5 isn't even confirmed...

Deleted
    3-4 months for the last tier/arena season? Also if the next expansion is going to be released this year still, means that the beta is going to start at the end of the summer, right after the start of the last tier/arena season. I don't think so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    2013-10-08[54] Content Patch 5.5/Pre-Expansion Patch ?? (+9 5.4)
    2013-11-12[58] Next Expansion ??[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Too little time, this would mean MoP lasted just a bit over a year. It's much more belivable that next expansion will come before the the Easter of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherForumPoster View Post
    The dates seem pretty plausible; didn't Blizzard confirm no more patches after 5.4 though? Or was it just raiding patches they confirmed?
    they said in an interview a while back that 5.5 and maybe even 5.6 is a possibility. so really we should assume that 5.4 wont be the last patch unless the expansion comes out waaaaaay sooner than we expect
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Something tells me that expansion can be announced before Blizzcon

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    everytime it was like that,
    in ~3-5 months we should get an announcemnt of blizzard registering name for the next expansion

They said from memory no more Pandaria patches, however 5.5 in my schedule is a pre-expansion content patch - which there sort of has to be at some point.

I think the timing is a bit tight too - however if we go for much later, then we end up with a standard or longer expansion duration, something which they seem to be keen not to do.

I suspect that Blizzcon will announce a fairly well established expansion, possibly with no new class or race - but a fairly big overhaul of existing ones.

I notice that unlike previous expansions, current patches are all 5.x.0 ?
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2013-04-20 at 05:20 PM.

Deleted
    They will announce the next expansion at Blizzcon for sure, with Beta opening that weekend. They can use the opportunity to announce a new annual pass that rewards priority beta access and possibly that Bat mount that was datamined

Pretty certain the next expansion won't be out this year, it's just too soon. Maybe next Easter as someone suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    They will announce the next expansion at Blizzcon for sure, with Beta opening that weekend. They can use the opportunity to announce a new annual pass that rewards priority beta access and possibly that Bat mount that was datamined

Pretty certain the next expansion won't be out this year, it's just too soon. Maybe next Easter as someone suggested.
    That actually sounds pretty good! Very plausible although I'm not sure about the bat mount because if next expansion is Legion wouldn't we get a Legion mount? But if we still stay on Azeroth and the whole continents raised out of the ocean idea comes to pass then maybe because we could go to Zandalar... Basically good idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

I suspect that Blizzcon will announce a fairly well established expansion, possibly with no new class or race - but a fairly big overhaul of existing ones.
    I'm not sure no new initial content would pass now a days.

It's always either been new class or race, or both as of late.

I doubt they'd risk just upgrades. Especially if Mists doesn't finish strong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

Just to clarify:
    Burning Crusade: 2 New Races, added Paladin to Horde, Shaman to Alliance
    Wrath of the Lich King: Death Knight added to all races
    Cataclysm: 2 New Races, added a bunch of new class choices to races
    Mists of Pandaria: 1 New Race, Monk added to most races

If they need to do initial content, I'd expect most likely races, not a class - adding another class would also mean they'd need to expand the number of slots per server to 12 (based on their reasoning for adding the extra slot when Monks were released), but it might also make sense just to even the numbers out (though with the new layout for selecting classes, it's not as necessary to have even numbers as before).
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I think that 5.5 existence will depend on two things.
    1) How much time will blizzard want to spent on polishing new expansion.
    2) How much content will 5.4 contain.
    I would not be suprised if 5.5 contained some "after garrosh" scenarios to set lore background for how factions will look like in next expac. And maybe some grindy stuff to make waiting easier. But i really doubt they will make any more raids.

I won't be surprised to see a patch 5.5, but instead of it really being a Mists patch, it would almost be a prologue to the next expansion. either way, I don't see Mists lasting 2 full years - I expect an expansion by this time next year (this isn't a bad thing - BC didn't last 2 full years either, and it's wildly popular with a large chunk of the fanbase)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Too little time, this would mean MoP lasted just a bit over a year. It's much more belivable that next expansion will come before the the Easter of 2014.
    Not really. GW1 is an example with a expansion every year or close to a year. Plus this is a thing of getting more content out faster which is blizzards goal. We look at wrath - cataclsym it took a year with nothing new and cataclsym to mop almost took another year after the last content patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they said in an interview a while back that 5.5 and maybe even 5.6 is a possibility. so really we should assume that 5.4 wont be the last patch unless the expansion comes out waaaaaay sooner than we expect

They did confirmed SoO was the last raid though

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be surprised if Expansion only lasts around a year.
    They want to pump up the speed not for nothing, I would be glad if an expansion lasted around 1 hour, 2 year with 1 theme is pretty long, especially if you hate the theme.
    How faster they produce expansions, how faster we see commercials of WoW on TV =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

They did say they might do a 5.5 depending how long it takes to get the next expansion out. Just a small content patch like 5.1 or 5..

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    That's not even possible, 5.2 just came out in March. A raid tier lasts 5-6 months. There's another 3-4 months of 5.2 then another 5-6 months of 5.4 which is many months past September 30 when the expansion came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    5.5 isn't even confirmed...
    And let's not forget we didn't have a 4.4 like so many people claimed we would as a pre expansion patch. Pre expansion patches always start with a new version number and don't continue the last expansion's version number.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Exactly this and if anything Blizzcon will only kick off the beta for next expansion and nothing more.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    They never said any such thing about 5.6. They said there may be a 5.5 and that's it. There won't be any major content coming after 5.4 before the next expansion so let's just nip that one in the bud right now.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Something tells me you are ignoring past history for the sake of saying something contrary.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Milerks View Post
    everytime it was like that,
    in ~3-5 months we should get an announcemnt of blizzard registering name for the next expansion
    For the sake of clarity it isn't an announcement. It is nothing more than a legal filing of a trademark and Blizzard never says one word about it. It is usually this site who uncovers the information and "announces" it. What is it with these expansion threads that bring people out of the woodwork who only seem interested in spreading blatant misinformation?

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post

Based on how Blizzard says they want expansions to be on 18 month development cycles instead of 24 (and before anyone starts up shit Mop missed that 18 month mark by only 1 or 2 months) that puts the next expansion at a spring 2014 release which is ample time for a beta if it starts immediately after Blizzcon or soon after.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

I'm calling it right now: regardless of how well 5.4 and possibly 5.5 are received and what the actual subscription numbers are at the end of the expansion you are still going to make the claim that Mop didn't finish "strong".

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    They did confirmed SoO was the last raid though
    Doesn't matter. Given the bullshit that went on during end of Cata and Mop beta people are going to swear up and down there will be a new raid before the next expansion all the way up to and including the day the next expansion launches.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    They want to pump up the speed not for nothing, I would be glad if an expansion lasted around 1 hour, 2 year with 1 theme is pretty long, especially if you hate the theme.
    How faster they produce expansions, how faster we see commercials of WoW on TV =)
    Blizzard has said time and again repeatedly they want 18 month expansion cycles. They said it before Mop launched and they said it after Mop launched. They haven't said anything about shorter cycles for expansions so please stop this. This is the kind of misinformation that fuels all the "Bli$$ is rushing expansions as a money grab" nonsense.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2013-04-20 at 11:43 PM.