Thread: Build check :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow the 212 is recommended to most because it allows overclocking to 4.2 with no sweat (which most people are more than happy with) or depending on ambient temps 4.5ghz is usually quite achievable on it. With ambient temps of 33c I was able to hit 4.5ghz I might try overclock it again see how far I can push it in the middle of winter here so I might almost have what anyone in the eu considers a fine summers day temperature as the ambient (16c is classed as freezing cold here).
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

I forgot to mention last night,

When I buy a monitor to go with this, the guy at the shop said it needed to be HD or HDMI, otherwise it can screw with something inside if its a shit quality?

If so, is something like this good enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-22...item2c6d92e134

You know, any Samsung, Parasonic or LG etc. that is a HD screen?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I forgot to mention last night,

When I buy a monitor to go with this, the guy at the shop said it needed to be HD or HDMI, otherwise it can screw with something inside if its a shit quality?

If so, is something like this good enough

You know, any Samsung, Parasonic or LG etc. that is a HD screen?
    He's just trying to get you to buy a monitor. What screen do you currently have?

Any screen you can connect on the graphics card should work fine. The 7870 XT has DVI, HDMI and mini display ports.

Old Acer one atm,

but I'm planning to get a new one anyways, so just a samsung one like that would be fine then?

Deleted
    I'm not really experienced enough with screens to do actual recommendations, but yes, it should work.

There's a few other people on this forum experienced with screens that can make recommendations and tell you what to watch out for. (Not entirely sure if you "need" DVI instead of HDMI, for example.)

Can always make a separate thread for help on screen selection. Or, search around on this forum. There's a lot of threads about monitors on here.

If you have enough money go for "Samsung 840 Pro" instead of the " Samsung 840", the Pro series has better write performance and more write endurance. I own a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB myself and I cannot find a single disadvantage. FYI Samsung 840 Pro has a real capacity of 238.47 GiB where Samsung 840 has 232.9 GiB, furthermore Samsung 840 Pro got a 5 years warranty where Samsung 840 got only 3 years warranty. (source: http://www.custompcreview.com/review...-review/15955/ )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krdan View Post
    If you have enough money go for "Samsung 840 Pro" instead of the " Samsung 840", the Pro series has better write performance and more write endurance. I own a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB myself and I cannot find a single disadvantage. FYI Samsung 840 Pro has a real capacity of 238.47 GiB where Samsung 840 has 232.9 GiB, furthermore Samsung 840 Pro got a 5 years warranty where Samsung 840 got only 3 years warranty. (source: http://www.custompcreview.com/review...-review/15955/ )
    When used as a software disk, the greatest advantage comes from the read speeds. You hardly ever write to it, apart from the installation of software. Write endurance is mumbo jumbo, as both disks will outlive any component in the build. The reason you have more actual space is that the 840 is 250gb, and the Pro is 256. Lastly, after three years, gaming systems typically get rebuilt. And it's 65 bucks more expensive.

I wouldn't recommend it myself.

Redd, Im using that part picker to put togeather the final build based on what youve said, but I can't find the RAM on the list, is this one just as good?

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9W Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Two Memory Module Kit - White

its on sale at amazon atm only 20 gbp off it, but still

Not sure where IVe acquired 20 gbp extra from, but heres what I'm looking at then if it all check sout

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.75 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£141.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£206.99 @ Novatech)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£92.34 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£75.98 @ Dabs)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (£23.99 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £866.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-21 18:05 BST+0100)
    Last edited by Rotted; 2013-04-21 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's low profile so it wont interfere with big coolers. I suggested the same in my build, did you ignore it ?

Your not getting a HDD mate?
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-04-21 at 05:08 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    It's low profile so it wont interfere with big coolers. I suggested the same in my build, did you ignore it ?

Your not getting a HDD mate?
    Ahhh not trying too :S What am I missing from it ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Itsredd suggested the Caviar Blue / green for storage. You only have a SSD listed in there :P
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Oh that yes,

Well seeing as I wanted to keep the budget figure a bit lower than that, we talked a bit on the first page and he said I shouldn't use the full 250gb atleast not straight away if I keep it to software / games / drivers etc and any personnel files I keep on my 750 gb external hard drive, then a little bit down the line I'll get the blue or green hard drive, but for now, just keeping with the 250 SSD,

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I see, i'm sorry ^^
    Final build looks very solid.

Awesome cheers tis getting ordered tomorrow!

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 07:34 PM ----------

do I need a separate wifi card or anything? just noticed the part picker says networking and expansion cards

Deleted
    Are you planning on using wireless internet?

If so: I recommend getting a cheap USB WiFi dongle.
    If not: An ethernet cable can be plugged into the motherboard.

Only in specific cases you'll want to go wireless. Cabled internet is preferred.

Nope gona need a dongle, place im staying at now, the router is one end of the house Im at the other, and pretty sure in uni next year the room won't have a port for me to hook up to

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Nope gona need a dongle, place im staying at now, the router is one end of the house Im at the other, and pretty sure in uni next year the room won't have a port for me to hook up to
    I have no experience with them, but I've seen the statement "go for a cheap dongle" thrown around quite often around here. Probably wise advice, but I can't actually back it up. (Someone else but me must read this thread?! )

Go for a cheap internal card instead tbh. They generally have better reception = less lagg and they won't break if you accidentally brushes it too hard. As for screens, keep in mind that DVI, HDMI and DP are all digital. If you use a DVI to VGA you are converting a digital signal into an analog signal and picture quality could degrade compared to the digital ones, that either sends the signal or doesn't. I'd not advice you to use a screen with VGA only input either, it makes your gaming experience worse.

oh my god half the pieces have arrived, that graphic card and power supply are friken huge oO and the amount of cables with the power supply oO

Quote Originally Posted by Krdan View Post
    That difference in speed, for a gamer, really only shows up in benchmarks. You will notice no real world difference unless you are writing files the the SSD that already take hours, and then your shaving a few minutes at best.