Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Ji'Kun 10 man

Hello everyone, my guild is doing heroic progression on 10 man Heroic Ji'kun. We're steadlily getting him to ~40% which is Nest 10. Here is the group comp:

Tanks -

Prot Pally
    BM Monk

DPS -

Ele Shammy
    Surv Hunter
    Destruction Lock
    WW Monk
    Frost DK

Healers -

Holy Paladin (me)
    Disc Priest
    Resto Druid

I heard around Nest 11-12 he should be at ~20ish%. And we're only at like 40ish% at nest 10-11. We don't pop hero in the beginning. Should we drop to 2 heals? The Disc Priest can go Shadow, however me or the druid don't have a viable dps spec, so it's either he goes shadow or we have to 3 heal it.

We are only sending tanks on nest guardian nests as well as group 1 doing 8 nests and group 2 doing 4 nests.

Group 1 contains - Elemental Shaman, WW Monk
    Group 2 contains - Surv Hunter, Frost DK

How you guys do the groups?

We do it like this:

group 1 (3 people (2 dps, 1 healer), sometimes tank (when there's a nest guardian)) do all nests except the second one (composition varies every week, if we can we have an ele shaman there);
    group 2 (4, including tank) does the second nest only (and again later in the fight, when the nest cycle starts over) and uses their feathers to grab feed young thereafter. This is a significant boost to dps, which you're struggling with. I'm on this nest (holydin).

While 2man healing this is possible, I'd strongly advice against it. The quills become increasingly harsh to heal through, and 2man heal is probably not a brilliant idea if your dps is already struggling. However, I suppose you can give it a shot. Note that having birds escape the nests 9 out of 10 times means a wipe.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-04-20 at 07:38 PM.

Ok, thanks for the advice. So you think group 1 (Ele Shammy, Surv Hunt, and Disc Priest) Would be good? And obviously rotating tanks for guardians.

That would leave me and resto druid up there whole time, and I go down for Nest 2 AND Nest 8 correct? Do you rotate tanks for Nest Guardian nests or just send same tank every single one? Much appreciated.

Deleted
    You should have all your dps except of the WW monk go down to the first platform that spawn eggs when boss is pulled, pop some cooldowns and completely nuke them and get wings fast and you can get the food buff on atleast 3/4 of those 4 dps when they fly up from the platform.

Once they're up on the main platform and have the food buff you should pop hero and you should see a massive increase in dps on the boss overall.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just do 2 nest rotation's so that the last nest is the middle upper with the guardian, make sure to wait for the tank before flying over to it else you will die like we did on our first kill xD Boss was at 35% for us on our first kill after that nest and that's when we just popped BL and nuked and it was really easy.

This is how we manage the nests:

Grp 1: Ele + Rogue + Ret + H.Pala
    Grp 2: Fury + Lock + R.Druid
    Rotation: 121(low) 211(up) 121(low) 211(up)
    Big add (TANK JOB!)= 2nd, 4th, 8th, 12th

May be worth noting that a healer doesn't need to go to every nest, infact I only went on Nest 1 lower for feather's, 5 Upper (which isn't needed) 6 Upper (needed due to Quills) and 9 Lower just to get feathers to then go back up for the last 2 Nest's (11/12)
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2013-04-22 at 08:41 AM.

Do you have logs. is your dps from group 1 getting buff from the feed thing all the time. our g1 was doing 200+dps we killed with 12 nest.

If you have logs its easier to take a look

As a paladin, I am pretty much solo healing the fight along with some strong healing capable DPS/Tank classes. My group killed this with a 2 Tank and 1.5 Healer strategy.

Tanks: Prot Paladin, Druid Bear
    Healers: Paladin, Fistweaving Monk

Monk flys and I stay on the main platform.

How I solo heal (for the most part) the main platform really comes down to my management of healing during quills. I split up the use of CDs for quills and take advantage of the Paladin's amazing close proximity burst AOE healing.

First: Use HA on and then use wings once the quills has started
    Second: Guardian + Plea while HA is on CD
    Third: HA and Wings should be back up.
    Fourth: Boss should be dead, but if not, you'll have plea up.

Make sure you use Holy Avenger about 20-25 seconds before Quills and get a nice absorb shield on every one on the platform. We stack some what (I am marked with a raid icon for the stack point) on Ji'Kun and I have Lights Hammer up for each quills... Then it's just weaving Daybreak and Infusion procs. DPS shouldn't be an issue since the raid should mostly have the damage buff, so stacking to survive with a slight DPS loss seems like a better option.

In-between quills, the fight is just management of tanks (your expertise) and the occasional avoidable caw mechanic that hits a raid member or two.
    Last edited by Nioso; 2013-04-23 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioso View Post
    Second: Guardian + Plea while HA is on CD
    Do you mean Divine Favor? I can't imagine you would ever want to use Divine Plea during Quills, especially not while you are solo healing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    Do you mean Divine Favor? I can't imagine you would ever want to use Divine Plea during Quills, especially not while you are solo healing it.
    Oh yeah, derp! Apparently my post completely disappeared after trying to go back and edit it... I am glad my 5 minutes of typing went to waste.

We 2 tank/ 1.5 heal with Prot Pally, Druid Tank, Fistweaving Monk and me solo healing the platform.

It comes down to management of cool downs and stacking for quills. Utilize Daybreak and Infusion procs on the stacked group for Quills. Use Holy Avenger to pre stack shields 20-25 seconds on any one that's on the platform before Quills. Throw down Lights Hammer on the stack point for quills. DPS shouldn't be an issue, so the few seconds to stack is better than having people die. People can survive with personal CDs, lock candies, and a three stack EF no problem with out stacking. You just have make sure you aren't wasting your Daybreak and Infusion procs on people that aren't stacked.

The rest fo the fight between Quills is just tank healing(our expertise) and the occasion Caw damage that is completely avoidable.

CD Rotation:
    First: Holy Avenger and wings as quills goes out
    Second: Guardian and Favor
    Third: Holy Avenger and wings as quills goes out
    Forth: Boss should be dead, but if not, Favor will be up again

You could probably optimize the CD rotation better to get a second guardian before the fight ends. My goal was not to rank, but rather make sure I had enough healing CDs to make sure every one survives quills.
    Last edited by Nioso; 2013-04-23 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    Oh yeah, derp! Apparently my post completely disappeared after trying to go back and edit it... I am glad my 5 minutes of typing went to waste.

We 2 tank/ 1.5 heal with Prot Pally, Druid Tank, Fistweaving Monk and me solo healing the platform.

It comes down to management of cool downs and stacking for quills. Utilize Daybreak and Infusion procs on the stacked group for Quills. Use Holy Avenger to pre stack shields 20-25 seconds on any one that's on the platform before Quills. Throw down Lights Hammer on the stack point for quills. DPS shouldn't be an issue, so the few seconds to stack is better than having people die. People can survive with personal CDs, lock candies, and a three stack EF no problem with out stacking. You just have make sure you aren't wasting your Daybreak and Infusion procs on people that aren't stacked.

The rest fo the fight between Quills is just tank healing(our expertise) and the occasional Caw damage that is completely avoidable.

CD Rotation:
    First: Holy Avenger and wings as quills goes out
    Second: Guardian and Favor
    Third: Holy Avenger and wings as quills goes out
    Forth: Boss should be dead, but if not, Favor will be up again

You could probably optimize the CD rotation better to get a second guardian before the fight ends. My goal was not to rank, but rather make sure I had enough healing CDs to make sure every one survives quills.

I'm not actually sure why you would want to send your Paladin to nests when you have a Disc and a Druid. Pally stays on main platform, Divine Protection to soak green pools, rotate your cds for Quills, (I like to pop BoP on the first just so I don't have to worry about myself), bubble to drop stacks and Devo during quills to mitigate debuff dmg. I use Unbreakable Spirit for the reduced cds. Send your disc and druid down to the nests, one in grp1 one in grp2. Barrier, Tranq along with their ability to dps while they are down just makes them really compatible with nests.

This is what we decided to do:

Spawn nr - Nest nr - Team nr -
    1- 1- 1+extra dps
    2- 2- 2+tank1'n'healer
    3- 3- 1.
    4- 4- 1+tank1'n'healer
    5- 5- 1.
    6- 6- 1.
    7- 1- 1+extra dps
    8- 2- 2+tank1'n'healer
    9- 3- 1.
    10- 4- 2.
    11- 5- 1.
    12- 6- 1+tank1'n'healer
    cycle repeats cycle repeats

Remember to have totems/pets/shadowfiends etc. eat talon rake strike after each down draft.
    This is a 2heal setup, and you should be able to BL nuke the boss somewhere around spawn 10-12. I would start out doing all 12 nests, ignore from there on, and see how close you get to kill. After that you can adjust maybe killing an additional nest if needed before the zerg.
    This requires group1 to have a class who can offheal. If you want to do a third healer, then BL zerg would likely be around spawn 14

As a paladin healer you should stay on main platform. There should very little raid dmg exept from quills. Caw is something people can avoid.
    On top of that you have a strong def cd for the tank on high infected talons
    Last edited by lickit; 2013-04-26 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    will be having our first tries on this boss this sunday. quick question from a tank pov: do both the tanks need to travel to the platforms during the encounter or can just 1 of the tanks do it, whilst the other stays on boss 100% of the time/

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    will be having our first tries on this boss this sunday. quick question from a tank pov: do both the tanks need to travel to the platforms during the encounter or can just 1 of the tanks do it, whilst the other stays on boss 100% of the time/
    One of the tanks will be fine.

Tank1 goes to nests (spawn 2,4,8,12)
    Tank2 stays on main platform.

Big adds on platform spawns 2(down) - 4(up) - 8(down) - 12(top) ---> repeat

Tank2 taunts boss when Tank1 goes platform where 1. big add spawns
    Tank1 taunts boss back when he/she comes back from tanking 2. big add
    Tank2 taunts boss when Tank1 goes to tank 3. big add
    Tank1 taunts boss back when he/she comes back from tanking 3. big add
    Tank2 taunts boss when Tank1 goes to tank 4. big add.

Just have active mitigation for each talon rake, and pair active mitigation with a defensive cooldown when getting above 2 stacks talon rake.

We were struggling like the OP was, having the boss high around 10, wiping ~11/12, then we changed our strat and 1 shot it with the new strat

Group1: Ele Shammy / Frost DK / Warlock

Group2: Bear / Hunter / Rogue / Disc Priest

Group1 does 1/3/5/6 group 2 does 2/4 (repeating), the disc priest would join group 1 at nest 6 due to quills. At nest 1 and 7 I (Holy Pally) would grab a feather, and at nest 3 the resto druid would grab a feather.

After nest 8(3rd big add that needs tanked) we just burned. On the feed young for nest 9, everyone with a feather flew up to grab nutrients, we popped hero, and burned. The boss was dead I believe right as nest 12 happened. To give you an idea on percentages, the boss was around 50% when nest 8 happened. The only important thing at that point is to avoid caw damage, and use CD's for Quills because there will be a lot of bird damage.

Here's our log if you wanted to check it out.
    worldoflogs com/reports/jtwcch3pgg7eeyyp/dashboard/?s=2821&e=3305

*edit and to clarify, all we changed was hero burn after nest 8 instead of continuing the flying cycle.

Deleted
    Group 1:3 dpsers, cant really say clasess since we did it with different each time, but mainly ones that can survive quils, too many classes can tbh.

Group 2:2 dpsers

group 2 gets a tank and healer on nest 2 4 8 and last upper.
    You can send a tank on nest 1 and 3 to get a feather so he can catch dps buff, tanks do great dps on this fight.

The problem with the boss on 40% is not much of a problem tbh. We usually have him on 10% ant this point but gear is not the same for us anymore. First kill he was on like 35% when we finished 2nd rotation and we killed him easy. Just send 4 dpsers on the first lower of the 3rd rotation, might wana throw a healer as well but they should be back before the quils tbh, have them catch the feeding for the 14th nest and bloodlust.
    Dont go for anymore nests.

Btw since u say u are steadily going to 10th nest, what happens after that, do you miss the point with nest 9 and 10 being together and have spawned birds wipe u?

May not be possible, didnt look at your logs, but we do it like this:

2 heal (Disc, MW) and only get 9 nests. Pop lust on the downdraft after nest 9 (DPS gets feed young) and boss is dead by nest 10/11 transition.

Tanks swap it up, I get nest 2, 4 only. Co-tank gets 8 only. Disc flies to every platform to smite-heal and MW stays on main pad 100%. DPS rotation I cant recall offhand, but we have mage, hunter, ele, DK, lock that share the load.

Was easier and faster than 3-healing for sure if you can handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    There is a lot of ways to do this. As you can see above.

We 2 heal it with a hybrid dps picking up healing in both groups and a tank going to 2 - 4 - 8.

After nest 9 and 10 are done we just pop hero/bloodlust and zerg the boss.

Deleted
    Anyone know on wich nests do the quills come exactly?? it's the same as the ones that have tankable ads on them??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pufyanny View Post
    Anyone know on wich nests do the quills come exactly?? it's the same as the ones that have tankable ads on them??
    Yup! Quills come just after the 2nd Nest (1st Guardian) is killed; and again on the 4th nest after the 2nd Guardian dies.

I think there's a quills in between the 2nd & 3rd Guardian, but not entirely sure when that is - trying to pull this info from memory :P
    Kanx - Protection Warrior (Armory)