1. #1

    Is corruption supposed to be this pathetic?!

    I was doing some PvP on my Demo and noticed that my corruption ticks was hitting for an average of about 2800 or so. Is this working as intended?

    2800 at level 90, is basically nothing.

    I see DK's 2 DoTs ticking on me for 24k or so, I see Deadly poison ticking for 12k, Pally Seal of Truth or w/e DoT ticking for over 9k+, don't even get me started on Druids and SPs, and yet I'm sitting here with 1 DoT ticking for 2800, what the fuck?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~Jesus Christ

  2. #2
    You can thank Soulburn: Soul Swap and Malefic Grasp for that. Lock, the ultimate DoT class now has the weakest DoT's in the game. They are balanced around being able to instantly apply and then MG all night long (which is ridiculous in PVP).

    Affli lock as it used to be is dead and long gone.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltmacht View Post
    You can thank Soulburn: Soul Swap and Malefic Grasp for that. Lock, the ultimate DoT class now has the weakest DoT's in the game. They are balanced around being able to instantly apply and then MG all night long (which is ridiculous in PVP).

    Affli lock as it used to be is dead and long gone.
    Pretty much this. The same thing happened to execute when Blizzard decided it was a good idea to let a proc allow you to use them early.

  4. #4
    Yeah, it hits very low since they've nerfed it. Doom, too, hits pretty low now.

    They could buff its damage by 33% if you're Demonology specced.
    Last edited by Fulmen; 2013-04-24 at 01:20 AM.

  5. #5
    Whats your PvP Power?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltmacht View Post
    You can thank Soulburn: Soul Swap and Malefic Grasp for that. Lock, the ultimate DoT class now has the weakest DoT's in the game. They are balanced around being able to instantly apply and then MG all night long (which is ridiculous in PVP).

    Affli lock as it used to be is dead and long gone.
    Don't spread incorrect information. They nerfed both Corruption and Doom by 25% because of multi-DoT scenario's. Nothing to do with SB:SS directly, and certainly not Malefic Grasp. Nada. "BUT WHERE'S YO PROOF BRO?". Sure. From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197590653 concerning the nerfs:

    We want the dot specs to do well in multi-dot scenarios, but Affliction, Demonology and Shadow were doing too well on multi-dot fights and are still quite competitive on non-multi-dot fights. Balance druids, so far, are where we want them to be.
    Was this noted at the time as being unfair for single target damage? Yes. Corruption and Unstable Affliction are nearly the same amount of damage in simulations now. As far as PvP goes - I honestly haven't delved into it much on my 'lock save when someone tries to gank me in the middle of a pet battle. 2800 damage sounds terrible though. Absolutely terrible.

    Edit: Affli lock as it used to be is dead and gone? L - O - L. Once you start hitting around 520-525 ilvl with the correct stats (Read: #@%! Crit!), it starts to out-scale the other specs via GoSacrifice.

    I'm curious, what's your armory? Just wondering what I'd be looking at if I decided to give 'lock PvP a go.
    Last edited by KainX; 2013-04-24 at 01:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KainX View Post
    Edit: Affli lock as it used to be is dead and gone? L - O - L. Once you start hitting around 520-525 ilvl with the correct stats (Read: #@%! Crit!), it starts to out-scale the other specs via GoSacrifice.
    I'm reasonably sure that OP was talking about PVP. Aff is fine for PVE, but it really truly is dead and gone for PVP, at least with respect to how it used to be.

    And as an aside, there is a lot more to doing well as affliction than just getting to a 525ish ilvl and eschewing crit.

  8. #8
    Corruption was blanket nerfed because Affliction was "overpowered" at multi dotting. Doom was nerfed by 25% because it hit way too hard for a spell that you only had to apply once per minute. The Corruption nerf SHOULD have been Affliction only, but GC is an idiot.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by raleeveet View Post
    I'm reasonably sure that OP was talking about PVP. Aff is fine for PVE, but it really truly is dead and gone for PVP, at least with respect to how it used to be.

    And as an aside, there is a lot more to doing well as affliction than just getting to a 525ish ilvl and eschewing crit.
    People are so amped up to point out flaws and make either make flawed counter arguments or make statements that have no correlation to the topic.

    Actually, the OP was talking from a Demo standpoint, which you undoubtedly know uses Corruption as well. I stated very clearly that I was speaking purely from a PVE standpoint and why Corruption is rather lackluster and expressed my surprise (" 2800 damage sounds terrible"). I only brought up Affliction since there was a comment about it being "dead and gone". Yes, from a PVP stance, I suppose it is - it simply isn't bursty enough.

    And there's more to Affliction than ilvl & eschewing crit? Insert "You don't say" meme here. Like... duh? I didn't realize that when one makes such a comment concerning stats they were supposed to go into a full tirade concerning DoT uptimes, empowered DoT's, talents used for individual fight, when to pop certain CD's and the like. LoL.

  10. #10
    Pretty dumb nerf ¤_¤

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by KainX View Post
    People are so amped up to point out flaws and make either make flawed counter arguments or make statements that have no correlation to the topic.

    Actually, the OP was talking from a Demo standpoint, which you undoubtedly know uses Corruption as well. I stated very clearly that I was speaking purely from a PVE standpoint and why Corruption is rather lackluster and expressed my surprise (" 2800 damage sounds terrible"). I only brought up Affliction since there was a comment about it being "dead and gone". Yes, from a PVP stance, I suppose it is - it simply isn't bursty enough.

    And there's more to Affliction than ilvl & eschewing crit? Insert "You don't say" meme here. Like... duh? I didn't realize that when one makes such a comment concerning stats they were supposed to go into a full tirade concerning DoT uptimes, empowered DoT's, talents used for individual fight, when to pop certain CD's and the like. LoL.
    So in a thread clearly discussing PVP, what exactly is your point coming in talking about how great aff is for PVE? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

    Is aff competitive for PVE? It damn sure is. Is it competitive for PVP? Not really.

    What are you trying to get across here?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by raleeveet View Post
    So in a thread clearly discussing PVP, what exactly is your point coming in talking about how great aff is for PVE? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

    Is aff competitive for PVE? It damn sure is. Is it competitive for PVP? Not really.

    What are you trying to get across here?
    I'm no longer trying to make a point. I already made it. My last post was merely making fun of you attempting to discredit what I said with non-related material. "there's more to Affliction than..." dur hurrrrr. I do thank you for reminding me why I don't bother posting here. Having an intelligent conversation is as likely on the Blizzard site. Icy Veins has a lot of good info, but don't dare counterdict their Warlock God, Zagam. Merely suckle on his teat and be content that you bask in his online presence.

    Please don't troll.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-04-24 at 08:30 PM.

  13. #13
    I can't bring myself to play afflic on my lock for this reason. Malefic grasp is really what killed the spec. I know multi dotting in pve is a problem, but, they could fix that by making dots do 50% (tuning needed) less damage to targets other than your current, and making a PvP set bonus negate this mechanic. something like that could be made for other dot classes, too.

  14. #14
    It's funny that affliction got a multi-dot nerf for pvp when the other two specs are easily putting out the same amount of damage affliction USED to in any rated pvp...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by KainX View Post
    I'm no longer trying to make a point. I already made it. My last post was merely making fun of you attempting to discredit what I said with non-related material. "there's more to Affliction than..." dur hurrrrr. I do thank you for reminding me why I don't bother posting here. Having an intelligent conversation is as likely on the Blizzard site. Icy Veins has a lot of good info, but don't dare counterdict their Warlock God, Zagam. Merely suckle on his teat and be content that you bask in his online presence.
    Uh, okay. I hope you feel better now?

    /boggle

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by KainX View Post
    Don't spread incorrect information. They nerfed both Corruption and Doom by 25% because of multi-DoT scenario's. Nothing to do with SB:SS directly, and certainly not Malefic Grasp. Nada. "BUT WHERE'S YO PROOF BRO?". Sure. From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197590653 concerning the nerfs:



    Was this noted at the time as being unfair for single target damage? Yes. Corruption and Unstable Affliction are nearly the same amount of damage in simulations now. As far as PvP goes - I honestly haven't delved into it much on my 'lock save when someone tries to gank me in the middle of a pet battle. 2800 damage sounds terrible though. Absolutely terrible.

    Edit: Affli lock as it used to be is dead and gone? L - O - L. Once you start hitting around 520-525 ilvl with the correct stats (Read: #@%! Crit!), it starts to out-scale the other specs via GoSacrifice.

    I'm curious, what's your armory? Just wondering what I'd be looking at if I decided to give 'lock PvP a go.

    First for starters I am talking strictly PVP. That -25% is irrelevant in the large scale. My post was about how Affli Lock, the original true king of DoT's in PVP now has one of the weakest dots. A warrior's deadly wounds can crit harder than multiple ticks from Lock dots. You completely misunderstood my post and while I enjoyed you cute little outburst of hostility it is misdirected.

  17. #17
    Not sure why that harsh tone was introduced...

    Anyhow:
    I highly doubt Corruption is supposed to be this bad. It's at a point where it's barely worth applying. The chance of a soul shard refund is exceptionally small, the heal is even smaller and the damage is as you said unbelieveably bad. The 10% buff they have in mind for affliction dots doesn't strike me as being anywhere near enough to enable it to complete the role it's "supposed to".
    Demonology on the other hand doesn't need Corruption to be dealing damage and is merely using it as something to be doing while waiting for the right time to pop Metamorphosis. I don't mean to say that it isn't a valid concern, but surely your Corruption isn't what's going to kill anything anyway (contrary to affliction). It's your Doom and your Metamorphosis fillers that are the deadly part.

  18. #18
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    336
    Well when comparing them dots to melee dots, you have to realize melee dots (poisons/diseases/bleeds) dont benefit from haste and thus only tick every 3 seconds, while caster dots in reality tick every 2s on average or even faster for some dots...

    Nevertheless when i played my Warlock and Spriest i realized as well that dots feel pretty puny, but you cant just compare the raw numbers either way...

  19. #19
    Affliction dots only do competitive damage when there is no dispeller in the game and when you are allowed to
    channel malefic grasp multiple times.

    This wont happen against any semi-competent team that has a class that can dispel and/or interrupt.

    Current state of pvp-affliction is the most pathetic it has ever been and blizzard knows this. Thats why they are buffing affliction in 5.3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •