Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How bad does Canada have it?

With all the problems and violations of rights in the US as of late, how bad does Canada have it? Do we have all the same rights violations that the US has? I'm not saying the conspiracy theriousts(I tried for like 2 minutes to spell this right) are correct. but lets say they are for the sake of my question. All these issues such as spying on citizens, violating their rights, staging events(Remember, I said assume there true for the sake of my question), would Canada also suffer from these things and their outcomes?

The question is just on my mind because people from every group and background are on a rampage on the internet over recent events. By the way I can't make my question any clearer so don't bitch about it not being clear enough(Nor do the other favourite task and attack this statement).

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 08:46 AM ----------

Also I'm not sure how biased this is or of the source, but I happen to come across it and figured I'd share to try and make my question clear. Take note; I did not say everything in this article is true, I just found it.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93K01V20130421
    Last edited by Zhaveros; 2013-04-21 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Poor word use fixed.

Canada seems like they are doing pretty good right now as a whole... Not really sure because I live in America.
    Sylvanas Windrunner is not hot... Change my mind.

Deleted
    Canada is one of my choices if I ever decide to flee the country, they are doing well for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing that you're from Canada, perhaps you can enlighten us as to just how bad Canada has it.

I've always thought fondly of my neighbors to the north. It's cold as shit there, but from my perspective, you guys have a pretty nice country.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently live in Canada, and to be honest, I wouldn't move anywhere else. The taxes are a little high (to cover free healthcare and other services), gas is a little pricey, it's snowing in April, but it seems like we are doing great. Well, I don't like our PM but whatever. I can't think of any rights violations happening right now, and we haven't had any events that could have been staged for a while. Unless you count the Vancouver riots.
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

Some of them don't like immigrants which is funny cause they are immigrants as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Canada is one of my choices if I ever decide to flee the country, they are doing well for themselves.
    absolutely agree.

I hope this doesn't cause any upset, but as a brit, I view it somewhat as america 2.0.. all the great bits, none of the problems!

Why would we assume your fearmongering hyperbole is true?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

This is just an outsiders impression formed entirely through TV, film, books and the internet, but I've always thought of Canada as a really great country. It's somewhere I'd definitely be interested in visiting given the chance.

Now it might be that they simply don't get the coverage if it exists, but I've never really heard of the same sort of bad news coming out of Canada that comes out of many other Western countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Seeing that you're from Canada, perhaps you can enlighten us as to just how bad Canada has it.

I've always thought fondly of my neighbors to the north. It's cold as shit there, but from my perspective, you guys have a pretty nice country.
    We're like America without a lot of the problems. Our government is almost as crooked as yours, but for some reason they aren't running the country into the ground. I personally think some of our politicians actually care about our future, not making sure they have billions to retire on. Socially we're quite the same but a lot more liberal as a whole. But to be honest, I don't even know about the status on gay marriage here. It's a such a simple fucking right and people still have an issue with it....

Overall, I think we're doing a lot better than the US and I don't fear being annexed because new technology is going to fix a lot of resource problems and the world will be able to focus on other issues like discriminating against minorities instead of warring over resources. And we are practically giving our oil to you guys in the south(Shipping unrefined oil to foreign countries where they make 10x the profit, anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post

Misconception. Weather factors (such as air pressure, humidity etc) and their interaction with terrain features play a significant role in air temperatures. So while the "Great Plains" (i.e. Saskatchewan and western Manitoba) experience a chilly continential winter, that winter is shared with the northernmost expanses of the U.S. Great plains. Likewise in Central Manitoba, in the Red River Valley you can expect a winter similar to the US Expanses of the red river valley. And because it's slightly warmer in the northern US (which leads to higher air moisture levels) there is actually higher snowfall amounts than in Canada's great wintry plains.

And if you go to the Rockies, or even just the Alberta Foothills, you can expect typical mountain weather. Cold and stormy on one side of the mountain/hill and hot and dry on the other.

But unless you are comparing the deep southern US with the more northern latitudes of Canada the actual difference in latitude isn't that great. You live over in the Heartland, which shares its climate region with Southern Ontario most likely. So if you moved to Southern Ontario you wouldn't see a whole lot of difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

Some of them don't like immigrants which is funny cause they are immigrants as well.
    Bandwidth cap, can't watch. Another issues here is everyone is 100 KM apart so we all have shit internet if you're not in a city/close to a large population center.
    There is racism here but it's more like Native kids get off the school bus and the white kids yell "Mud slide" and then the Native kids yell "Avalanche" when the white kids get off the bus. We all bro fist after. I live in B.C where we get a lot of Asian immigrants and none of them are ever bullied over their race.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    With all the problems and violations of rights in the US as of late, how bad does Canada have it? Do we have all the same rights violations that the US has? I'm not saying the conspiracy theriousts(I tried for like 2 minutes to spell this right) are correct. but lets say they are for the sake of my question. All these issues such as spying on citizens, violating their rights, staging events(Remember, I said assume there true for the sake of my question), would Canada also suffer from these things and their outcomes?
    Wich violations are you exactly talking about?

The question is just on my mind because people from every group and background are on a rampage on the internet over recent events. By the way I can't make my question any clearer so don't bitch about it not being clear enough(Nor do the other favourite task and attack this statement).

Also I'm not sure how biased this is or of the source, but I happen to come across it and figured I'd share to try and make my question clear. Take note; I did not say everything in this article is true, I just found it.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93K01V20130421
    Reuters is a very good source, better then most sources that are used here
    Also, you can say what you want about China, they do have a point. (Even tough its a bit hypocrite)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    absolutely agree.

I hope this doesn't cause any upset, but as a brit, I view it somewhat as america 2.0.. all the great bits, none of the problems!
    "Canada could have had it all. French cuisine, American technology, and British culture. Instead we got French technology, British cuisine, and American culture."
    No clue who said that but I love that quote, lol.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rigimi44 View Post
    I currently live in Canada, and to be honest, I wouldn't move anywhere else. The taxes are a little high (to cover free healthcare and other services), gas is a little pricey, it's snowing in April, but it seems like we are doing great. Well, I don't like our PM but whatever. I can't think of any rights violations happening right now, and we haven't had any events that could have been staged for a while. Unless you count the Vancouver riots.
    It's all a cover up so Vancouver doesn't have to clean up the plastic beer cups and Tim Hortons packaging after hockey games!

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Why would we assume your fearmongering hyperbole is true?
    I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I said so for the sake of the comparison to answer my question more thoroughly. I didn't say they were true, I said assume so for the sake of the question.

As a Canadian myself, let me add a disclaimer to this thread that Zhaveros doesn't accurately represent the attitudes and beliefs of ALL Canadians. He lives on Vancouver Island, most likely in the city of Victoria, which is essentially a tourist town that's a 1 hour ferry ride from the west coast of mainland Canada.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I said so for the sake of the comparison to answer my question more thoroughly. I didn't say they were true, I said assume so for the sake of the question.
    Ok, if we're accepting random fiction, then canada is a whole lot worse because the lizardmen illuminati have started putting all the conservatives in to death camps and processing them in to soy-lent green.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

People claiming all of these violations are paranoid. The gun thing? That didn't pass. The gay rights thing? Yes u.s is behind on that. Really no ones rights are being violated. Spying on citizens i think its pretty obvious they aren't since well Boston happened. People are just really damn paranoid they find issues with stuff that doesn't have issues because it gives them something to do and also gives your self that apiffany high.

Onto that Link, every year the U.S puts out a report on Russia/China/Other nations on Human rights issues and they shoot back with one. It's how large countries push each other around.

Onto the Annex thing WTF are you talking about? The U.S/Canada are allies the only reason an Annex would happen is if Fallout happened and Canada stayed neutral but they wouldn't, they would side with U.S.

Just to round this up stay off the paranoid side of Youtube you will do alot better in life knowing that their craziness is contained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Wich violations are you exactly talking about?
    I hate being asked for examples, I always assume people read articles to pass time like I do. I'll try though. If you spend a fair amount of time on the internet you will find a lot of people talking about them in the US. Whether they're true or not I don't know. I know I shouldn't do this, but take the Boston event for example. I understand what was going on, but people were having their rights violated left and right. And if you ask around you will hear a fair amount of police brutality stories(Again, I don't know which are true or not.). And since people are still going to assume I'm blaming and bashing the US for everything, I'm not. I never said any of the stories are true. I'm simply asking if they are, are they in Canada too.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Reuters is a very good source, better then most sources that are used here
    Also, you can say what you want about China, they do have a point. (Even tough its a bit hypocrite)
    China and the US always having dick swinging contests across the water.

Been to canada once. I remember it being so beautiful when we crossed the border. Didnt seem to be a piece of trash anywhere. Would love to move their in the near future.
    BBCode:

Um, I'm from Canada too, Vancouver Island actually and by the way Victoria is not just a tourist town.
    But as I'm living currently living in Bulgaria, and for the last 2 weeks a scandal has been uncovered of a spyvan driving around recording everyones cell phone calls...
    Well all I can say is..
    Canada is quite possible the greatest country on the planet, and people who live there and complain are spoiled.