Need advice on new build

MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK or Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (Z77) ?
    CPU: Intel i7 3770
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 or G-Skill RipJawX 1600MHz CL9 ?
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC Windforce DDR5 or any other GTX670?
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair TX650M
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P
    Case: Antec P280

My bro would be using it for illustrator/photoshop/indesign and abit of flash
    Just some mix and match from marest build and friend's recommendation. Any help would be appreciated

Just for reference http://www.fuwell.com.sg/uploads/misc/Fuwell200413.pdf (Its in SGD)
    Last edited by lyqo; 2013-04-21 at 02:51 PM.

What is your budget? For your intended work there are dollars to be saved by going with Asrock Z77 Pro4 instead, getting a 3570K instead. The money saved there should buy an SSD instead. Is there any particular reason you are buying a 650W PSU? There are alot to save there if you dont have to get a modular one. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that expensive, but it's a bit more than you need. Also, getting a WD Blue 1TB instead will also save you a few bucks.

The above spec will cost me ~2.1k SGD so my budget will be around 1.6-1.7k USD.
    I'm not really good at these stuff so most of the item i picked is from http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds (gaming 1720)
    I7 because I'm told that it will be better for those adobe program and for the PSU/HDD, its from the gaming 1720 build.

10+ Year Old Account
    What stuff is he doing with adobe, exactly? Rendering and modeling, it will help a little (I hear about 10-15%). But if it's just artwork and whatnot, it won't make much of a difference. Otherwise, pretty much everything Lemmiwink mentioned is on the spot. Smaller PSU, Blue drive, and with that budget you pretty much should not go without an SSD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thanks for all the advice

So switching caviar black 1tb to blue will save me ~22usd
    Asrock pro 4z77 is the same price as Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (Z77) and ASUS P8Z77-V LK cost ~28usd more (which is better? Asrock pro 4 Z77?)
    So which PSU,SSD would you guys recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait hang on, is this for gaming for not? GTX670 is a fairly powerful gaming card and you haven't mentioned anything about playing games at all...so far people have assumed that you will be doing fairly heavy gaming (in which case i5 3570K + GTX670 would make a lot of sense). Are you? And which games, at what resolution (if not 1080p)?

Because if you are serious about a build aimed at illustrator/photoshop/etc then you would be far better off dropping the GPU down to a GTX650/HD7770 and buying an i7 3770K.

The PSU will depend a lot on the GPU, and if you did cut the GPU down then you could easily get away with a quality 400-450w lol.

On the topic of SSD's, here are some great ones:
    $99 - Samsung 840 120GB
    $113 - Samsung 830 128GB
    $120 - Crucial M500 120GB (brand new release!)
    $130 - Crucial M4 128GB
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

yeah, will be gaming heavily too so good GPU is needed. (any advice on the brand? I've seen a few like MSI,Asus,Gigabyte but dont know the differences)

Deleted
    I'm assuming Singapore Dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    I'm assuming Singapore Dollars?
    Yup I'm from singapore

Deleted
    Okay then, give me a day or two. Got a guildmate in Singapore, so I'll need to speak to him first - I did have a partlist for the things, but unless you know where to go, you're limited online.

Thanks tenangrychickens~
    Btw I've link the pricelist of the local shop I'm getting from so feel free to gimme some advice depending on what they have in store

Deleted
    See, I'm now pretty torn, as there's a couple of decent DIY kits at the bottom of the PDF - for example, there's that ASRock 5 kit with an upgrade to a 3570k for SG$1150 (but it comes with a lower-midrange card at best). On the other hand, the combinations I can put together separately are a considerable pain to get at that price.

Decisions, decisions...

My best suggestion would be to contact FUWell and see if they can't come to an arrangement over changing the 7850 for your proposed card and the 3770k, as otherwise, that's a pretty sweet deal. Also, I'd suggest obtaining an SSD, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend the M500 256 or the Samsung 840 250GB.

Which D.I.Y system do you mean? system 5 doesn't offer 7850 but 7770.
    Assuming you are refering to the system 6, so everything is looking good except upgrading cpu to 3770k, GPU to GTX670 and add in another SSD right?
    what about PSU? if perhaps i would like to upgrade any other parts in the future, would the PSU still be good enough?

Thank you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lyqo View Post
    Which D.I.Y system do you mean? system 5 doesn't offer 7850 but 7770.
    Assuming you are refering to the system 6, so everything is looking good except upgrading cpu to 3770k, GPU to GTX670 and add in another SSD right?
    what about PSU? if perhaps i would like to upgrade any other parts in the future, would the PSU still be good enough?

Thank you
    1) Yes, that is what I meant - the PSU included is modular, change the GPU to either the GTX670 WF or the 7970 Twin FROZR and add in an SSD - if you can upgrade the kit to a 3770k, do so. That'll max your budget, however. If you absolutely need the HT, then go for the 3770, but that's definitely a "buyer beware" situation, as you won't get an OC out of it.
    2) The PSU provided will generally be fine for everything outside of SLI/XFire situations;
    3) if you're upgrading again in the near-future, you should be fine, in theory - however, I'd always recommend upgrading a PSU every time you do a major upgrade unless it's an RMA upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm yeah, I don't see myself upgrading from Seasonic X-760 for at least another 5 years...or 8 years...or whenever the hell it dies outside warranty lol. I'll use it in build after build, probably same thing with my case.
    PC components are only getting more and more power efficient so the PSU wattage is the one thing that that doesn't need to increase in the future
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze