Thread: Baby ducks

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Baby ducks

Yesterday a neighbour showed up to my door and gave me 2 baby ducks. They are adorable so I couldn't say no and I took them. I live in a city but I have a pretty big backyard and a pool for them to swim in. But other than that I have no idea what to do. Anyone with any experience in raising ducks, please help me.

Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    Yesterday a neighbour showed up to my door and gave me 2 baby ducks. They are adorable so I couldn't say no and I took them. I live in a city but I have a pretty big backyard and a pool for them to swim in. But other than that I have no idea what to do. Anyone with any experience in raising ducks, please help me.
    they like to solve mysteries and rewrite histories

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Do you have a shelter nearby, or a similar organization with someone who can give you first-hand advice?

In all seriousness, you may want to Google this one. There has to be some websites that cover how to raise ducklings. On of my uncles was in a similar situation, one of his neighbors gave him a whole clutch(or litter or whatever)of ducklings he found running around in the street without their mother. Everything was fine until one of his dogs got into their cage...
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Now, the first thing you wanna do, is preheat the oven to a nice 450...

Infracted: Post constructively please.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-04-22 at 09:00 PM.

Ducks are not hard to take care of, however they will not like being caged up, they will want a warm place to go where there's food and to be outside a lot. You would need to build a shelter for them and its likely they will fly away. you can always look up more information but I honestly doubt they will do well in the city. you can try though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

now that is a nice comment!

But youtube/google it OP, i think its quite easy take care of

Uh... my mother brought home 3 ducklings when I was maybe 10 or 11? We had probably a 3-4 foot high flimsy fence for them beside our driveway and a little kid's wading pool for them (it was my chore to clean it out every day or two... not fun at any age). I don't remember what we fed them but I assume she picked something up from a pet feed store and they were fine. We did live in coyote territory, had no issues with that, but once they were full grown it was clear we didn't have the space to properly care for full grown ducks.

I think she snuck them into a golf course and released them into the ponds. I IN NO WAY ENCOURAGE THIS BEHAVIOR. Options are somewhat limited in the middle of the Sonoran desert.f

You might check with any local business that has a pond area, or schools to see if they'd like to keep them for someone's science class (for keeping! not for dissecting!) if you decide you can't handle them at any point.

EDIT to add - they poop like crazy, I can't recommend keeping them indoors unless it's too cold outside for them. I don't know how small yours are, though, if small enough to keep in a lined cage or tub or wading pool I guess that wouldn't be an issue. So long as you're ok with whatever room they're in smelling like duck poop.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2013-04-21 at 08:26 AM.

Deleted
    Well now, this escalated quickly. My grandmother was so excited about them she went and bought 9 chicks. A friend will coem and build a big coop next week. Thanks for all the advice. Looks like we're starting a city farm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    Well now, this escalated quickly. My grandmother was so excited about them she went and bought 9 chicks. A friend will coem and build a big coop next week. Thanks for all the advice. Looks like we're starting a city farm.
    before you do that make sure you get a permit. i live in alaska but my aunt had 2 horses like 5 goats some chickens and like 17 bunnies in her back yaard and the city came and told her she isnt zoned to have farm animals as pets so they made her get rid of them :/
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks...now I have that song going through my head. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-04-22 at 09:04 PM.
    Sylvanas Windrunner is not hot... Change my mind.

Deleted
    Name one Dolan!

10+ Year Old Account

Speaking of rewriting history, did you guys hear about this??
    DuckTales Remastered

I would try to find a shelter to raise them as you clearly have no idea what they need.

Living in the city, as you stated. You sure it's legal to own ducks and chicks? Something you might want to find out.

Go to a shelter outside of town, in a rural area near a watershed. It'll be a few hours drive for you but a lifetime of difference for them.

Well I've met a few people that have raised ducks. It pretty much ends when it one day fly away and never comes back. So brace yourself to let it go one day.

C D E D B D Ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Well I've met a few people that have raised ducks. It pretty much ends when it one day fly away and never comes back. So brace yourself to let it go one day.
    Thats pretty damn impressive!
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"