Thread: So Oondasta

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb So Oondasta

Hi, what do you guys think about Oondasta world boss encounter?

First I have to say that the concept is a bit wierd. A troll armored dino with moguaic rayguns... Yeah very original, not rly (almost reminds me of that Cataclysm shark flying beam thing from beta)

Secondly the mechanics are pretty simplistic, just a truckload of damage not much more. The casuals still wipe but succeed anyway because the graveyard is too close. One would think casuals SHOULD learn at least these basic mechanics so while I don't think the encounter was particularly successful, the graveyards should be moved back on kunlai zone so it makes zerging impossible so everyone learns the (very simple) mechanics like not standing in front of boss and also the tanks would learn to tank and stop losing aggro as they usually do and healers would learn to cope with tank damage.

Also, faction tag should be reworked so non-grouped players or grouped player below 10 people (at least until level 95) shouldn't get loot.

Right now you can be a terribad dps tank or healer but it doesn't matter if you get kicked. You still get loot if others kil it.

Deleted
    Why?

Why would you want to change this boss now that it's live?

Deleted
    The fight is really well designed if it was in a raid. Because it can get zerged its useless.

The reason that tanks lose threat is because everyone yells at them to run behind. You get a 100% threat increase if you are standing next to the current tank. If people learnt the abilities it would go a lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Hi, what do you guys think about Oondasta world boss encounter?

First I have to say that the concept is a bit wierd. A troll armored dino with moguaic rayguns... Yeah very original, not rly (almost reminds me of that Cataclysm shark flying beam thing from beta)

Secondly the mechanics are pretty simplistic, just a truckload of damage not much more. The casuals still wipe but succeed anyway because the graveyard is too close. One would think casuals SHOULD learn at least these basic mechanics so while I don't think the encounter was particularly successful, the graveyards should be moved back on kunlai zone so it makes zerging impossible so everyone learns the (very simple) mechanics like not standing in front of boss and also the tanks would learn to tank and stop losing aggro as they usually do and healers would learn to cope with tank damage.

Also, faction tag should be reworked so non-grouped players or grouped player below 10 people (at least until level 95) shouldn't get loot.

Right now you can be a terribad dps tank or healer but it doesn't matter if you get kicked. You still get loot if others kil it.
    So let me get this straight, you enjoyed that 7 minute run back around the whole island...? Let alone you want to make us cross the sea every time we die?

Deleted
    Phantasmal, there is no other way to stop boss from being zerg.

Ressing in instant-to-2 minutes or just insta-ressing with ress sickness is doable.

7min run? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep referring to players as "casuals". Sorry but this isn't said enough, casuals are players that can't devote 12 hours a day to this game or even raid on a consistent raid schedule. Casuals can quite easily learn tactics and are, for the most part, not actually bad players. I believe the people your speaking of are just "bad players". Just because I don't play 10 hours+ a day anymore doesn't mean we're bad.
    My Armoury 7/7 HC Firelands

Currently specc'd "Non-Discipline" FUCK RAID MITIGATION CD'S WE ARE HEALERS

10+ Year Old Account
    making the boss tauntable would make it a lot easier
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    So let me get this straight, you enjoyed that 7 minute run back around the whole island...? Let alone you want to make us cross the sea every time we die?
    Last night we had a bunch of players pulling oon into the groups that were forming and wiping us for kicks, this snob says that now I have to travel 10 min to be back, really smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Why are you so concerned with what other folks acquire?

10+ Year Old Account
    so... you want the 30+ random people to learn every mechanic Oondasta has, while already being geared enough to kill him, and you want every death to be punished with long corpse runs from a different zone

good luck with that

also; casual =/= bad, please don't insinuate that because some people don't invest as much time as you that they're bad players
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    Casual does not equal bad. The issue is that different abilities counteract each other in the oondasta fight. While I figured out the abilities the first time I was there, it can still be hard to avoid deaths. Let us see... a fixate on the tank. If that tank is undergeared or does not know how to pop cooldowns or play his class well, he will die. From there it is a downwards spiral. This makes the boss turn. Then he one shots the ranged camp with frill blast. Or maybe the tank moves and makes the ranged get killed. This means the ranged would have to stand in melee in order to avoid it. Some people do that... this makes the melee get one shot by his beam ability.
    The only reason that oondasta is such a pain to do, is that it is a pick up group. People do not trust each other to do their jobs. People take their survival into their own hands. This creates issues.

Also I do not see any issue with him being zergable.

There comes a point where, on the bottom 200 not-quite-dead servers that you can't even zerg the fight and have to teach people what to do. Just pugged it with 80+ people this past Thursday, and they wiped 3 times (first pull was good. 2nd two were awful pulls and then FRILL BLAST EVERYWHERE!). I had my tank buddy start whisperin the other tanks to at least come up with a position they would all stand 60 degrees to the boss opposite side of melee (melee behind and on side boss for beam), and then go to the original positioning should the main tank die.

By the end there were 30 people. We killed him with 3 tanks and minimal deaths to beams.
    So, contrarian response is I actually think it's a terrible fight experience for world raiding, specifically because the fight would be (or apparently is) laughable in anything below 40 man where the lasers would hardly kill anybody. It isn't because that zerging makes it possible, unless you have competent tanks. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    so... you want the 30+ random people to learn every mechanic Oondasta has, while already being geared enough to kill him, and you want every death to be punished with long corpse runs from a different zone

good luck with that

also; casual =/= bad, please don't insinuate that because some people don't invest as much time as you that they're bad players
    Of course, while I agree that casual does not necessarily means bad, it does inevitably mean less good most of the time. Compare to the soccerplayer who plays 20 hours a week to the one that plays 2 hour a week, who'll be the better player? Doesn't mean the 2 hour one is bad though. (Does mean I'd not expect the 2 hour one to perform at the same level of a 20 hour one, let alone have him in my team :-) )

I don't much care for world bosses, complicated mechanics in world bosses, let alone huge corpseruns. Time is better invested in raids where devs have a LOT more liberty to design good and fun encounters IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem was in its intro to the general player when the patch came out. they made the encounter so that a nice, tight nit, heroic raiding group, could try their hand at fighting this dino boss. sounds good on paper. but what really happened, they also added faction tagging, which allows infinite numbers of people to take part in world boss fights. sooo the solution to the difficult mechanics became, just throwing bodies at the boss.

Blizz then decided to change the mechanics, tweak some numbers and even add a nice path from the graveyard up to Big Oonie's spawn location (coming in 5.3). problem? the general playerbase has already got it engraved in their minds that throwing bodies at the boss makes it die, instead of sticking to a smaller group that has plenty of space to spread out. (200k flat damage to players wont kill them as long as they are not in front of Oonie) but getting sheeple to change their strategy is harder then you might think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

There's a big difference between casuals and bads, but most servers got more bads then they have decent players, I think most would agree. That being said, my favorite part of the fight is when I'm tanking and some tank in pvp gear is waiting for me to die to pick up the boss, except that he's standing right in front of it and ends up getting one shot by the cone attack lol.

Deleted
    OP you must hate me, I never group for world bosses and just hit the boss and AFK, to top it off I've been pretty lucky with drops and got the Oondasta mount

It's fine as it is, if anything I want them to add another GY or a ramp up to the middle part.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    The fight is really well designed if it was in a raid. Because it can get zerged its useless.

The reason that tanks lose threat is because everyone yells at them to run behind. You get a 100% threat increase if you are standing next to the current tank. If people learnt the abilities it would go a lot smoother.
    Let me fix that for you: "The fight is really well designed if it was indoors or instanced and required an actual raid."

Instead, there are boss abilities that will turn you into a suicide bomber if you're within, oh, 8 yards of someone else. And by GOD, I have yet to fight that SOB without some moron running right through my /range display about 8 times.

Blizzard was trolling us when they came up with those mechanics for a world boss. They had to be. It's terrible - more importantly, it's blatantly unfun.

Deleted
    I thought Oondasta was hilarious, personally. I'll leave all the haters here to stew though.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Of course, while I agree that casual does not necessarily means bad, it does inevitably mean less good most of the time. Compare to the soccerplayer who plays 20 hours a week to the one that plays 2 hour a week, who'll be the better player? Doesn't mean the 2 hour one is bad though. (Does mean I'd not expect the 2 hour one to perform at the same level of a 20 hour one, let alone have him in my team :-) )

I don't much care for world bosses, complicated mechanics in world bosses, let alone huge corpseruns. Time is better invested in raids where devs have a LOT more liberty to design good and fun encounters IMO.
    Nothing inevitable about it. Some 'casuals' used to play a more dedicated amount, but can't commit the time anymore. Their ability has usually gone through little to no deterioration. On the flipside, there are people who spend half their unemployed waking hours ingame, and are awful fullstop. These are not exceptions or extremes, and I can name (but won't) several examples of both types of player off the top of my head.
    Last edited by mmoc52fe769775; 2013-04-21 at 11:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post

So very fuckin' wrong to make that assumption.

Time spent playing does not equate to player skill. Basic reasoning, problem solving, reaction times, common sense and being sharp on the uptake does.

Give me a level 90 of a spec I've never played around with much. Cat/bear druid, arcane mage, holy priest for example. I guarantee you that within half an hour I'll be able to perform on it better than a lot of people who've been playing it terribly for months.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Screw you op, I never group for world bosses because I'm usually using them as time killers for the rediculous 40 min lfr dps q