10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Downton Abbey VS Game of Thrones

What is the connection?

Why are there so many actors playing parts in both series?

Not a complaint by any means I am genuinely curious how and why 2 separate shows share so many actors.

The actors have to earn their keep while they aren't filming for GoT you know.

And Doctor Who also dips into the same pool.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Deleted
    British Actors mainly, Westereos (sic?) is pretty much an expy of the British Isles, some of the actors in GoT are pretty well known around the UK, and there only now getting a bigger audience with moving to GoT.

I have trouble watching downtown abbey. It's just..so..slow. Am I missing something in the show where's the appeal. Me and my girlfriend who are avid movie and tv show watchers could barely make it past episode 1. Despite the familiarity of the actors.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The actors have to earn their keep while they aren't filming for GoT you know.
    Are British actors paid considerably less than American actors that they have to do this?

Its just not typical for American actors to be seen on multiple shows. They may work in a movie here and there during off season.

To be fair though... GoT and DA are very short seasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Are British actors paid considerably less than American actors that they have to do this?

Its just not typical for American actors to be seen on multiple shows. They may work in a movie here and there during off season.

To be fair though... GoT and DA are very short seasons.
    I remember reading something a while back about a difference between American Actors and British Actors, something about a different work ethic, i'll see if I can dig it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I have trouble watching downtown abbey. It's just..so..slow. Am I missing something in the show where's the appeal. Me and my girlfriend who are avid movie and tv show watchers could barely make it past episode 1. Despite the familiarity of the actors.
    My wife was really into it, and I bought her all seasons for Valentine's Day. I will admit that it was a slow start, but the character development is phenomenal which is a huge part of why I like Game of Thrones. There is this social game being played that I am not familiar with nor will probably ever be a part of. (Fantasy)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    My wife was really into it, and I bought her all seasons for Valentine's Day. I will admit that it was a slow start, but the character development is phenomenal which is a huge part of why I like Game of Thrones. There is this social game being played that I am not familiar with nor will probably ever be a part of. (Fantasy)
    Abbey or GoT has the development? Because every time I think a character that I place any value in has development they die.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

If you watch much of the Masterpiece Theater shows you'd actually recognize a lot of the folks from Downton Abbey on them. My sister is a HUGE fan of the Victorian-era stories and such and her and her boyfriend watch Masterpiece Theater all the time and tell me that just about every show/series/movie they watch on their they recognize at least one or two folks from some other show/series/movie. It's just sort of how they do things there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Abbey or GoT has the development? Because every time I think a character that I place any value in has development they die.
    Both, and both shows leave you with a sense of anxiety and while falling in love with the characters trying to guard yourself at the same time for fear that they could be gone at a moments notice.