Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Exercise routine?

Hi guys,
    again sorry for posting on this forum, So let me get this part out of the way i am 13 but im ready for the tough road ahead of what im asking about to do with getting into a better shape.
    So this week i've began doing a 30 min exercise routine 3 days a Week, Tuesday - Thursday - Sunday

Warm up - 3 mins Jogging on the spot - 30 Secs High knees - 30 secs Heel flicks - 30 secs In and out - 30 secs Starjumps - 30 secs
    Forwards and backwards - 30 sec

Stretching - 1 min 30 sec Arms - 36 secs (5 sec per arm) Legs - 36 secs (5 sec per leg) Joints - 36 secs

Cardio - 20 mins Skipping - 5 mins Punchbag (upper body) - 10 mins Punchbag (kicking) - 5 mins

Muscle/weightloss - 15 mins Half sit-ups - 2 mins 30 secs Bicycle sit-ups - 2 mins 30 secs Weights - 10 mins.

So there's what i'd normaly do, that was a mild workout for me, it didn't feel too little or too much, i was pretty happy with it,but i watched a video from Mike Changs sixpack shortcuts and he said a few of those things didn't help e.g. Sit-ups etc, so i was wondering if anyone could modify that routine to be suitable to focus on destroying belly fat which isn't involving weight lifting since it has problems spurting growth?

I Would be super greatful if anyone could modify/create a simple enough workout like the one above i could try out
    (P.S. I'm 5'1 and 120 lbs - i only have weights as gym equiptment)
    Thanks so much in advance

What's your goal? You aren't overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What's your goal? You aren't overweight.
    He's 13. And he follows Mike Changs. I would guess he wants to look like a hunk.

To that end, you are 13. Go get a weight lifting coach and over the next 10 years you will grow.

Without knowing what precise equipment you have it is hard to give you a routine and I am very hesitant to ever give a routine to a 13 year old I have not met and who I do not know how developed he is.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-04-21 at 08:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    He's 13. And he follows Mike Changs.
    No, ot the case, i just have 'Love handles' i think you call them and i am a big bigger than the other guys in my year and i would just like to slim down, i only took a look at his info because he seemed legit, by no means do i follow him
    Last edited by mmoc597552a6f5; 2013-04-21 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    which isn't involving weight lifting since it has problems spurting growth?
    Do you mean problems with stunting growth? If not, I'm not sure what problem you're referring to. If that's what you mean, weight lifting does not stunt your growth. I don't believe I can link articles yet, but a quick google search can clear that up.

As for getting rid of "love handles" or unwanted fat, it's mostly about calories in and calories out. So lots of cardio is the best way to get rid of that.

Run, swim, and bike a lot. Lift when you're not in the mood for cardio, and lift as heavy as you can while maintaining form. I've never seen a single triathlete that didn't look good.

Deleted
    I can only link to an article in Swedish where they come to the conclusion that weight lifting does indeed not in any way, shape or form, stunt your growth. In fact, under controlled circumstances (as always) there are only positive effects of it:

http://iof3.idrottonline.se/ImageVau...20barn%202.pdf

So if you want to look like a hunk, go get a coach and start lifting weights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt115115 View Post
    Do you mean problems with stunting growth? If not, I'm not sure what problem you're referring to. If that's what you mean, weight lifting does not stunt your growth. I don't believe I can link articles yet, but a quick google search can clear that up.

As for getting rid of "love handles" or unwanted fat, it's mostly about calories in and calories out. So lots of cardio is the best way to get rid of that.
    yes thats what i meant, but currently im busy with martial arts training and i would not really like to take up 2 of those kinds of things at once, i'd prefer to stick to the cardio.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Run, swim, and bike a lot. Lift when you're not in the mood for cardio, and lift as heavy as you can while maintaining form. I've never seen a single triathlete that didn't look good.
    Currently i don't have time for biking/swimming while being in school but im trying to fit in some small running things into my current workout routine

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 08:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    I can only link to an article in Swedish where they come to the conclusion that weight lifting does indeed not in any way, shape or form, stunt your growth. In fact, under controlled circumstances (as always) there are only positive effects of it:

Thanks for the link but im affraid i dont speak swedish what so ever :/ but i think everyones getting the wrong picture, i dont think i'm actually 120lbs i think im a bit more about 140lbs maybe, but as i mentioned i do have a bit of a 'gut' and 'lovehandles' id like to get rid of and just get into a smaller/smoother shape, by no means would i like to look like a hunk

Lol OP okay that definitely changes thing, being 140. I was gonna call you out saying you couldn't really have love handles at 120 at 5'1".

You're probably not gonna listen (not that I blame you) but you should diet a little. Just cutting out sugary drinks and snacks should be enough, combined with light exercise.

At 5'1, 140, you're probably a shade overweight, so as Blueobelisk says above, you should be thinking about diet. I stand by saying that you should do a ton of cardio as well, but that's mostly because I like it!

I can tell you that what you're doing isn't a very effective approach. If you're going to run, run for a half hour or more. If you're going to lift, lift for a half hour or more. In your OP, you say you lift weights for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Come on man! That's basically one set, rest, one set. No, no, no! Try a basic 5x5 program if you're going to be lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    At 5'1, 140, you're probably a shade overweight, so as Blueobelisk says above, you should be thinking about diet. I stand by saying that you should do a ton of cardio as well, but that's mostly because I like it!

I can tell you that what you're doing isn't a very effective approach. If you're going to run, run for a half hour or more. If you're going to lift, lift for a half hour or more. In your OP, you say you lift weights for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Come on man! That's basically one set, rest, one set. No, no, no! Try a basic 5x5 program if you're going to be lifting.
    Im sorry, i dont normally post but i had to step in here. At age 13 you should not be lifting weights, (heavy ones). Any qualified personal fitness instructor or your doctor will tell you that lifting at this young age will hinder your growth.

OP i you mention this earlier in your thread, so well done doing your research. Now to your point, if you can do anything with a roman chair, that will really help you, just make sure to hold your contraction when your knees peak.

Also i saw you like the MMA routines? I am a 8 year wrestling vet and have done brazilian jiujitsu(BJJ) for 3 years, its a blast, the most fun ive ever have in any sport. I highly recommend both. Also with BJJ you naturally work your core for the guard position, especially from the guard position.

Heres my little tip: from guard(you on your back) try to reach your right arm as far as you can over your partners opposite shoulder. Repeat in the same fashion on your opposite side. Rinse and repeat. your first time id be surprised if you get to 10 on each side, Know that there is no overnight ticket to abs. but i was once in your place and i can tell you its doable. Good Luck to you.
    i5-3570k 4.3Ghz P8Z77-V Pro (2x4) G.Skill RAM 1600
    ASUS GTX 670 Crucial M4 128Gb

if you wanna look slick just swim every day, will do you more good at 13 than weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Plagiarizer View Post
    Im sorry, i dont normally post but i had to step in here. At age 13 you should not be lifting weights, (heavy ones). Any qualified personal fitness instructor or your doctor will tell you that lifting at this young age will hinder your growth.

OP i you mention this earlier in your thread, so well done doing your research. Now to your point, if you can do anything with a roman chair, that will really help you, just make sure to hold your contraction when your knees peak.

Also i saw you like the MMA routines? I am a 8 year wrestling vet and have done brazilian jiujitsu(BJJ) for 3 years, its a blast, the most fun ive ever have in any sport. I highly recommend both. Also with BJJ you naturally work your core for the guard position, especially from the guard position.

Heres my little tip: from guard(you on your back) try to reach your right arm as far as you can over your partners opposite shoulder. Repeat in the same fashion on your opposite side. Rinse and repeat. your first time id be surprised if you get to 10 on each side, Know that there is no overnight ticket to abs. but i was once in your place and i can tell you its doable. Good Luck to you.
    Lifting does not hinder growth. While I disagree with spectral's assertion that you need to run for 30 mins to get a workout (you can run 3 miles in 18 mins and get a workout), his assertion that lifting is fine for 13 year olds is correct. There are numerous studies that show lifting is fine for teenagers. That said, ALL beginners should not lift heavy regardless of age. By the time he is 15 he can be doing heavy stuff. That said, teenagers do not have fused growth plates which makes them likely to break bones/damage cartilage. This just means that form is significantly more important because you need to keep most of the pressure on the muscles and off the bones. Source: I am a personal trainer.

What will hinder growth most is calorie restriction. Gymnasts and wrestlers often have hindered growth because they starve themselves and exercise extremely intensely. While this effect can be reversed if they start eating normally around the age of 16-18 (thus why girl gymnasts become proper height as adults), if the habits continue until the middle twenties the athletes will be stunted for life (thus why boy gymnasts, who compete at an older age, are much shorter as adults than the average population).

BTW, gymnasts typically can lift extreme amounts of weight for their weight. It is not uncommon for teenage boy gymnasts to have dead lifts in the 400-500 range despite weighing under 130.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-04-24 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post

I used google translate to translate the paper, to me it looks like a paper a professor wrote, it was not in a peer reviewed journal and did not originate from the united states. I am not convinced that this paper was looking at long term health effects of younger people lifting weights. There was no references and seemed to have the goal of proving that children should lift weights, which destroys the integrity of the paper altogether.

TLDR: this paper is invalid for a number of reasons

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 09:55 AM ----------

Lifting does not hinder growth. While I disagree with spectral's assertion that you need to run for 30 mins to get a workout (you can run 3 miles in 18 mins and get a workout), his assertion that lifting is fine for 13 year olds is correct. There are numerous studies that show lifting is fine for teenagers. That said, ALL beginners should not lift heavy regardless of age. By the time he is 15 he can be doing heavy stuff. Source: I am a personal trainer.
    i think we need to define "lifting", this is causing the disagreement
    Last edited by Plagiarizer; 2013-04-24 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plagiarizer View Post
    I used google translate to translate the paper, to me it looks like a paper a professor wrote, it was not in a peer reviewed journal and did not originate from the united states. I am not convinced that this paper was looking at long term health effects of younger people lifting weights. There was no references and seemed to have the goal of proving that children should lift weights, which destroys the integrity of the paper altogether.

TLDR: this paper is invalid for a number of reasons

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 09:55 AM ----------

i think we need to define "lifting", this is causing the disagreement
    Squat, deadlift, power cleans, I rarely have my athletes do bench but that too. Weight lifting is weight lifting. What makes something "heavy" is merely a question of how many reps does it take to hit failure. 50 lb deadlift can be heavy for some people.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are a couple of things that you MUST take into consideration due to your age!

1) Though there have been study's that show that lifing weights wont stunt your growth that is only 1 variable that is being looked at. What you need to look at is the dmg you can cause by doing the exercises wrong or too heavy. Though you wont stunt your growth you could do some serious dmg to your joints and ligaments. At your age you want to avoid dmg to them as much as possible as they are still growing and stretchign to meet the growth need! This is the major reason most say don't life heavy till you are older but (not meaning this in a derogatory manner) kids often don't listen to what they can't feel / see right away! Thus saying "you could damage your ligaments and give yourself a hard time when your in your 40-50's when they have only lived a fraction of that time does not ring home... saying you can stunt your growth and you will be a short ass rings home right away!

2) Diet is a word that is miss used and you really don't need to be on a diet what you need to be on is a proper eating lifestyle! Minimum soda or sugar added juices , lots of water and milk! You need to minimize refined carbs and go for complex carbs, low saturated fat foods etc etc... basically eat well and your body will be well!

3) When you do exercise you need to do it for a certain amount of time... BUT some one training for 3 hours everyday could see less results than some one training 30 mins a day if the later is training properly and the former is not! Want to loose weight? Make sure you are hitting 80% target heart rate and doing it for 30 mins you will get way more out of that tahn some one doing 3 hours of 30% THR!
    THR calculator http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

4) If you decide to lift weights at your age its fine but go lower weights but much higher reps! Instead of the 3sets of 6-8 reps heavy go for the 4 sets of 15-20 reps! By the time you contract on the 15th rep you should be shaking... if you shake before too heavy, if you shake to far after too light! It will take time to figure out but you want it to be hard to lift at the end but still doable!

just my .02! O and don't look at the scale... if you want to really keep track of progress get some pinchers and keep track of your fat % through the pinch tests to see the progress...the scale can be a crule mistress!

Do not do weightlifting, better do sports, biking, playing football or something, it's not only better for your health but also for your body(it'll grow better than while doing weightlifting).
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome one View Post
    Warm up - 3 mins Jogging on the spot - 30 Secs High knees - 30 secs Heel flicks - 30 secs In and out - 30 secs Starjumps - 30 secs
    Forwards and backwards - 30 sec
    This is ok, but you should warm up every main muscle of your body-see below.
    Stretching - 1 min 30 sec Arms - 36 secs (5 sec per arm) Legs - 36 secs (5 sec per leg) Joints - 36 secs
    Do 5 sec strech for EVERY muscle, just like warming up, you cannot stretch your whole body in a 1 min 30 sec, you have too many muscles, for example, you should stretch and warm up main muscles of your back if you want to train, and this is just for your back:
    -Latissimus Dorsi,
    -trapezius
    -erector spinae
    (I don't english names of these muscles, sorry) You can google them.
    Muscle/weightloss - 15 mins Half sit-ups - 2 mins 30 secs Bicycle sit-ups - 2 mins 30 secs Weights - 10 mins.
    15 min of half-sit ups? That's crazy...

You're going to need a new spine probably after a month of this training...
    This is one of the WORST thing you can do, this isn't natural and if you're young you're going to have problem with your spine and muscles of your stomach.
    If you really want to train your "ABS", better do:

OR

If you really want to do half sit-ups(or any type of training above) better do 3 series of 12 reps with 1 minute of rest or it'll end with really dangerous contusion and you'll have many problems with your body in the future(like getting really slow muscle mass).

There are 3 types of training:
    -mass- you're doing 8-12 reps, with 2 min of rest,(probably with weights)
    -sculpture- you're doing +20 reps, with 1 min of rest,
    -strength- you're doing 3-6 reps, with 3-4 min of rest with HEAVE weights,
    I DO NOT recommend you ANY of these, because you're too young and you have no knowledge about training, better do sports.

As I said you should do only sports, it'll prepare your body for better a training in the future when you'll be older. In your age being in a shape means do not being over/underweight, so: Eat Healthy(you can eat pizza sometimes, drink coca-cola etc, you're just 13, but do not overdose), do sports, be happy. That's all I can say. Good luck.

(I'm not a professional trainer, I just have a little knowledge(I'm reading much about it and also getting many advices from more experienced people) about training and I train myself for a quite long time)
    Last edited by Eazy; 2013-04-24 at 02:43 PM.

Lifting does not hinder growth. While I disagree with spectral's assertion that you need to run for 30 mins to get a workout (you can run 3 miles in 18 mins and get a workout), his assertion that lifting is fine for 13 year olds is correct. There are numerous studies that show lifting is fine for teenagers. That said, ALL beginners should not lift heavy regardless of age. By the time he is 15 he can be doing heavy stuff. That said, teenagers do not have fused growth plates which makes them likely to break bones/damage cartilage. This just means that form is significantly more important because you need to keep most of the pressure on the muscles and off the bones. Source: I am a personal trainer.

What will hinder growth most is calorie restriction. Gymnasts and wrestlers often have hindered growth because they starve themselves and exercise extremely intensely. While this effect can be reversed if they start eating normally around the age of 16-18 (thus why girl gymnasts become proper height as adults), if the habits continue until the middle twenties the athletes will be stunted for life (thus why boy gymnasts, who compete at an older age, are much shorter as adults than the average population).

BTW, gymnasts typically can lift extreme amounts of weight for their weight. It is not uncommon for teenage boy gymnasts to have dead lifts in the 400-500 range despite weighing under 130.
    I'm sorry but at this point ill need to see a peer reviewed paper from authors with medical degrees to agree. That being said I will agree with light lifting eg: 15 to 20 reps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the link but im affraid i dont speak swedish what so ever :/ but i think everyones getting the wrong picture, i dont think i'm actually 120lbs i think im a bit more about 140lbs maybe, but as i mentioned i do have a bit of a 'gut' and 'lovehandles' id like to get rid of and just get into a smaller/smoother shape, by no means would i like to look like a hunk
    Have you considered doing some sort of sport instead of going to the gym? I mean, if you like sitting there doing task after task, then sure, go ahead. But otherwise, why not try some sport and maybe develop a hobby out of it? Or a passion, even.

As for me, I'm a rock climber. Started about a year ago. Bouldering really defines your body while for cardio simple approaches do wonders and if not, you can always find someone to go running with.

The whole point is: do what you like. Not some sort of routine... You'll probably get bored of it fast.

And also: you take like 2-3 minutes to stretch. You should really spend more time on stretching and you should stretch virtually every muscle in your body, not just your limbs.