Thread: Rift questions!

Rift questions!

Hi all.

I hope this isn't too broad of a thread but I have not played Rift in 2 years. I only made it to 36 before but I really enjoyed the game for the most part. It was a nice break from WoW. I still heavily play WoW mainly only 3 days a week to Raid with my guild. The off days on the weekend though I have been thinking of mmo's to try that I played before but maybe I didnt give it a fair chance.

So I clicked my Rift icon today and I had no idea it had been so long since I played. It gave me 3 days of free access which was pretty cool and I logged on to my level 36 cleric and I literally forget everything that the game had except that my favorite thing was closing rifts in the open world with big groups of players.

So I guess question is, is the game still populated enough that chasing rifts around is still fun? What are the biggest changes over the past 2 years? Since I forgot almost everything and am pretty lost on my toon do you think I should just re-roll and start from scratch? Also, how is the leveling time? Most games increase level gain over time, was just curious if this game had any adjustments or not.

If there is a good thread or guide post someone could refer me to for returning/newer players that would be sufficient so I don't waste all your time! I hate to read 2 years of patch notes

- The game is still populated... at high level.

- Rift is one of the most robustly updated MMOs in 2 years. Go to Wikipedia. There is too much added to type out what has "changed". Which is an inappropriate question for most MMOs anyways.

- Can reset everything in an instant on a character in Rift. No need to re-roll unless you forgot how to play MMOs in the hotkey style. There are now new pre-set soul configurations for "newish" players that want a general feel for a class. 1 hotkey opens the menu.

- Rift leveling in the old world is mostly unchanged. Though players do level faster now due to all the new events, dungeon finder and Instant Adventures. The new continents of Rift's Storm Legion are much slower paced for the final 10 levels from 50 to 60.

- "Hi, new to Rift/Returning to Rift" threads are a dime a dozen on this forum. Two guide posts are stickied right above your thread actually.

should i get this game?

Quote Originally Posted by phastings View Post
    should i get this game?
    You can play 1-20 for free. Go check it out and make that decision for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    You can play 1-20 for free. Go check it out and make that decision for yourself.
    Not only that, but if you do it through raptr.com and log enough hours you'll get a free copy of the game with 30-days free. I would recommend that route currently. Rift is a great game and I would definitely say check it out and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not only that, but if you do it through raptr.com and log enough hours you'll get a free copy of the game with 30-days free. I would recommend that route currently. Rift is a great game and I would definitely say check it out and see for yourself.
    Gosh yes, not to distract from the topic at hand, but raptr.com is a great thing to do if you like Rift or want to get into Rift. I've already recieved 2 free copies of the game, the expansion, and game time, as well as pets, cosmetic armor, etc. Very nice!

I love Rift so much I keep an active sub and can only play maybe 3 times a month.

go for it man. just pay for a month and feel it out. But like all games you can only truly judge a game by its end game content (post 60)

Easy to get to cap via Instant Adventures!

Oh, they added a dungeon finder tool? Does it work like WoW's?
    Does it actually create a group at sub-high level or are these Instant Adventures (which I shall need to learn more about) substitute for dungeons?

I logged on yesterday (with Raptr running) for the first time in ages after re-downloading the client. I had forgotten how gorgeous the game is. The pre-made "soul specs" are pretty neat too.

Question - Post expansion, is the questing content the same as before or did they change it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Oh, they added a dungeon finder tool? Does it work like WoW's?
    Does it actually create a group at sub-high level or are these Instant Adventures (which I shall need to learn more about) substitute for dungeons?

I logged on yesterday (with Raptr running) for the first time in ages after re-downloading the client. I had forgotten how gorgeous the game is. The pre-made "soul specs" are pretty neat too.

Question - Post expansion, is the questing content the same as before or did they change it?
    Yes, dungeon finder works similar to WoW, except you can que for multiple roles if you have them available and it will pick the one best suited to the team it is putting together. This does mean that 9/10 if you que with tank or healer as an option, you will get tank or healer. However, there have been times on my rogue que'd as tank/support/DPS that I was assigned DPS in the group.

It will create a group for any level dungeon you choose. If you choose random, it will only choose ones in your level range, but you can manually select whatever dungeon you want and it will try to find others. The only downside is if you pick manually, it does not count towards your daily dungeon rewards.

Instant Adventure is totally different. It is like questing on steroids. When you join IA it will place you with a group if there is one available, if not it will place you in one on your own that others that que will join. It will give you an IA Quest, you do not have to talk to anyone to get it, you just get it. You will then be given the option to teleport to the area. When you get there, as you or others complete objectives you will receive XP for each 1/xx that someone completes. You then receive a bonus upon completion, it auto completes and give you another with the option to teleport if it is far enough away. They are not a substitute for dungeons per-se, but they can give you something to do while waiting in the Dungeon Que.

The questing is very different post SL. Instead of the whole quest hub idea, there are less quests and they are a little more spread out. Each "hub" will have a story quest line and a few quests, but the vast majority of quests will be either carnage(see next paragraph) or quests you pick up in the area the story quest sends you to that you'll complete then turn in when you turn in the story quests.

Carnage quests nearly entirely replaced all the "go collect 10 bear asses" type of quests common throughout chocolate Rift and most MMOs. Instead, when you kill a bear you get a carnage quest, which is tracked separately in your quest log and does not count toward your 25 quest limit. The quest will be simply to kill a certain number of that mob then when you do, you automatically get the rewards. So it replaces the tedium of picking them up then running back to turn them in and just handles all that automatically.

Thanks for the run-down Lathais! That is quite different. LOTRO had something like those "carnage quests" and they earned towards talents and/or achievements.

I am just on the "light" version of Rift right now, running it with Raptr, and curious as to if I should start a new character or pick up where I left off.
    Think I will start anew in light of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Thanks for the run-down Lathais! That is quite different. LOTRO had something like those "carnage quests" and they earned towards talents and/or achievements.

I am just on the "light" version of Rift right now, running it with Raptr, and curious as to if I should start a new character or pick up where I left off.
    Think I will start anew in light of the changes.
    No reason to start over, unless you want to re-immerse yourself in lore or some such. You will not feel the effects of any of the changes until you are 50 anyway.