Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[TV] is it just me or has tv gotten amazingly good lately?

it feels like only last year where my dvr would usually only record 1 to 3 hours a day except on certain nights (usually tuesdays, saturdays and sundays depending on the time of the year) but this year almost everyday ive been recording 6 to 9 hours everyday and it seems like tv has really stepped its game up.

just to name a few recent ones, bates motel, orphan black, duck dynasty, defiance, copper, the americans, grimm, once upon a time, vikings, out there, revolution, the marvel universe block on xd, gravity falls, the new toonami, ninja turtles and arrow ect ect.

and of course shows that have been on for awhile already doctor who, adventure time, regular show, walking dead, game of thrones.

maybe networks woke up and realized that with dvrs we can choose to only watch our favorites and nolonger have to worry about "eh nothing else is on so ill watch this" or maybe the fact that the internet has gotten more popular and some people can get along fine without tv, or who knows what but it seems as though all of a sudden alot of tv has gotten up and was like "NO MOAR BULLSHITS WE GONNA BE AWESOMES" of course some channels havent made any improvement like mtv or disney channel but so far most channels have improved significantly almost to the point a new show comes out and im slightly hoping its awful so i can save some space on my dvr and i often find myself having to reschedule things and record the late night repeats because theres just so much every night that i cant record the premier slot.

whats your opinions on it? also name any shows not mentioned here or just any shows you enjoy to spread all the goodness O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I haven't even heard of most of those shows, but it's nice to see someone who isn't on the "everything sucks the older it gets" bandwagon.

Deleted
    Most things shown on TV sucks, few things are good.

The only thing I watch on T.V. is Game of Thrones. I can't stand T.V. never know when something just going to be canceled.

There are only a few shows I like, but I greatly prefer TV to movies. I can't even remember the last movie I thought was worth the ticket price.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are some truly great shows out there lately but there is some horrible, horrible pieces of crap too.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot more reality-type shows nowadays, and most of them are god awful. VH1, for example, has the stupid Love & Hip Hop. I've tried to watch it, but it's garbage. I can't find something like that entertaining, when all they do is fight, complain, and moan. There's a lot of Bar Rescue or survival type shows now. How many do we need to get a point across? There's a lot I can post. Maybe I'm being too picky. Another thing that urges me, to top this all is the History channel, and a couple other ones... they repeat the same damn episodes of a show (depending on the day). The only thing I really watch are Game of Thrones, The Vikings, Burn Notice, Walking Dead, and couple others.
    Last edited by Ceece; 2013-04-24 at 12:20 AM.

Ya there has been some good shows on recently.

The majority of whats on is still pretty awful most of which being a reality type but I agree more and more good shows are starting to pop up and I almost have at least one show to watch per day.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem is that many people like to focus solely on the shows that don't even like or watch, therefore placing more significance on the shows that they don't like over the ones that they do. I know plenty of shows that I really enjoy watching, and I just ignore the ones that I don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't really say TV has gotten "better"

Channels like Discovery, Animal Planet, and the history channel have all become about banal reality dramas. Remember when animal planet used to have informative shows about exotic animals? And not shows revolving around ex-cons working with dogs?

These (and other) channels are doing the "TLC" thing; pumping out shallow reality dramas for cheap in hopes of reining in whatever sad demographic voluntarily exposes themselves to things like honey boo-boo and other such tripe. And it's just been getting more and more frequent, spreading to more and more channels.

So no, I don't believe that TV is getting "better"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was really positively surprised by Vikings, Da Vinci's demons & Hannibal.
    Da Vinci was abit cliche but I still found it very enjoyable.
    Vikings even surpasses GoT for me atm.

I think I follow like 8 shows atm and their all AWESOME!

There are only three shows on your list that interest me, and they're all in the second group.

And man, I don't mean to be rude, but you have cartoons on there, cartoons like Adventure Time. It just makes me think it doesn't take much to impress you, because Adventure Time is so over-the-top ridiculous it's just not entertaining anymore. And yes, I have seen a few episodes, because sadly I have teenage girl friends who said it was a great show, but the storylines are simplistic and one-dimensional (which really is not unexpected of if, it's meant for kids). I don't see how that entertains older people.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-04-24 at 12:56 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I've found that the best way to find good TV is to wait until its cancelled and look for shows that lasted one to two seasons tops. Firefly, Pushing Daisies, and Awake to name a few. The alternative, for me at least, seems to be: find a good show, then wait for it to inevitably get cancelled after one or two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    There are only three shows on your list that interest me, and they're all in the second group.

And man, I don't mean to be rude, but you have cartoons on there, cartoons like Adventure Time. It just makes me think it doesn't take much to impress you, because Adventure Time is so over-the-top ridiculous it's just not entertaining anymore. And yes, I have seen a few episodes, because sadly I have teenage girl friends who said it was a great show, but the storylines are simplistic and one-dimensional (which really is not unexpected of if, it's meant for kids). I don't see how that entertains older people.
    adventure time has some of the most complex interwoven storylines of any show currently on television.

im sorry you cant see the appeal of a boy and his dog trying to survive in a post nuclear holocaust world

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 09:06 PM ----------

never seen a show portray the apocalypse in such a way

"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    it feels like only last year where my dvr would usually only record 1 to 3 hours a day except on certain nights (usually tuesdays, saturdays and sundays depending on the time of the year) but this year almost everyday ive been recording 6 to 9 hours everyday and it seems like tv has really stepped its game up.

just to name a few recent ones, bates motel, orphan black, duck dynasty, defiance, copper, the americans, grimm, once upon a time, vikings, out there, revolution, the marvel universe block on xd, gravity falls, the new toonami, ninja turtles and arrow ect ect.

and of course shows that have been on for awhile already doctor who, adventure time, regular show, walking dead, game of thrones.

maybe networks woke up and realized that with dvrs we can choose to only watch our favorites and nolonger have to worry about "eh nothing else is on so ill watch this" or maybe the fact that the internet has gotten more popular and some people can get along fine without tv, or who knows what but it seems as though all of a sudden alot of tv has gotten up and was like "NO MOAR BULLSHITS WE GONNA BE AWESOMES" of course some channels havent made any improvement like mtv or disney channel but so far most channels have improved significantly almost to the point a new show comes out and im slightly hoping its awful so i can save some space on my dvr and i often find myself having to reschedule things and record the late night repeats because theres just so much every night that i cant record the premier slot.

whats your opinions on it? also name any shows not mentioned here or just any shows you enjoy to spread all the goodness O-O
    I honestly don't know what TV programs you are watching but in all my years on this planet I couldn't remember the last time when I couldn't be arsed to turn on the television for anything other than soccer.

Its been pretty stagnant for around the last 2-3 years if you ask me. Its probably one of the main reasons I even got into WoW besides being a few other reasons.

The early 2000s had a ton of shows to choose from. It seems the reality genre has taken over. Every day you have some stupid reality series and a bunch of other nonsensical ripoff of CSI.

Too be quite honest, I rarely find anything good on the television at all these days. Every single channel is over bloated with the reality stuff and its awful. I mean sure they were fun for the first 1-2 seasons. American Idol seemed fresh as long as Simon Cowell was on the show, but its just stagnated of late. Its been a few years since I've even bothered tuning in for that.

Then you have a bunch of other crap stuff on MTV and like you mentioned Duck Dynasty and similar ones.

I followed Two and a Half men till Charlie left, I regularly enjoyed Big Bang Theory till I found it dull and uninteresting.

Sometimes, I wish Game of Thrones wasn't done by HBO and had longer seasons. It amazes me that you only get to watch 10 episodes and have to wait an entire year for the next set. But right now GoT has totally got my attention. Can't really see anything better than that out on TV right now.

adventure time has some of the most complex interwoven storylines of any show currently on television.

im sorry you cant see the appeal of a boy and his dog trying to survive in a post nuclear holocaust world
    I remember an episode where the plot was that they entered a gladiator's den with old ghosts. The ghost wouldn't let them go and made them into gladiators. Jake fought through the gladiators, and then the ghost tried to make Jake kill his dog. Jake killed the ghost instead, and they walked away, happily ever after.

Another episode I watched, they went inside this talking gameboy thing, and then they had to play through the levels. Then they beat the game, and they escaped their gameboy friend.

I know a lot of you guys love the animation for that, and it does have very pretty and likable animation, but don't confuse it with "complex interwoven storylines". Just because it has overarching themes doesn't mean it's a masterpiece; everything has overarching themes.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 09:14 AM ----------

never seen a show portray the apocalypse in such a way

That's a nice song (and I've heard it before), but the song does not represent the show. The show is sporadic and pandering to an audience that still loves Spongebob. I grew out of that.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-04-24 at 01:08 AM.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Because you don't enjoy a particular show doesn't mean somebody who does has a lower standard. Adventure Time doesn't really feel like a proper kids show to me. There is a lot of stuff in there that kids just wont get. It's more like a cartoon for adults that want to feel a bit of nostalgia. As far as storylines go, in-depth character development and deep plots are not something you should be looking for in a cartoon. Yes you do occasionally get such things in a cartoon but the general purpose of them is light entertainment. You can watch any episode and it wont really matter.

As with many cartoons, people of all ages enjoy Adventure Time for a multitude of reasons from pretty colours to insane humour. I'm 25 and I find the show absolutely hilarious.

But I'm not deluding myself into thinking I can change your mind! You like a thing or you don't. It's perfectly okay.
    We can both agree that Game of Thrones is incredible right?
    [21:24:13] [G] [80:Exeption]: i'm a warlock kinda harry potter myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    hes not that technologically advanced, all he needs is google and a right hand

I remember an episode where the plot was that they entered a gladiator's den with old ghosts. The ghost wouldn't let them go and made them into gladiators. Jake fought through the gladiators, and then the ghost tried to make Jake kill his dog. Jake killed the ghost instead, and they walked away, happily ever after.

Another episode I watched, they went inside this talking gameboy thing, and then they had to play through the levels. Then they beat the game, and they escaped their gameboy friend.

I know a lot of you guys love the animation for that, and it does have very pretty and likable animation, but don't confuse it with "complex interwoven storylines". Just because it has overarching themes doesn't mean it's a masterpiece; everything has overarching themes.
    just because SOME episodes are simple does not mean that it does not have some of the most complex and interwoven story arcs.

virtually every character has a backstory or will recieve one

the world went through not one but two nuclear wars called the mushroom wars that are slowly being explored throughout the show, not to mention the history of the world before that (colonizing mars, inventing time travel, parallel dimension and time travel) there are different kingdoms within the show each with their own citizens.

one of the main characters ice king was slowly driven insane by the magics within a crown and before that he was a scientist who fought in the mushroom wars, he also took care of another one of the main characters marceline who became an orphan after the first mushroom war.

not to mention the overarching plot of the lich who was created when a secret government weapon went off creating beings of evil in the 2nd mushroom war

one offs are in every show

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 09:18 PM ----------

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 09:14 AM ----------

That's a nice song (and I've heard it before), but the song does not represent the show. The show is sporadic and pandering to an audience that still loves Spongebob. I grew out of that.
    if anything represents the show its that song, the ice king/marceline and mushroom war arc and integral to the shows storylines

I don't think that the random episodes I happened to watch (and that my fangirl friend recommended) just happened to be one offs.

But whatever, you guys like your stuff, I like mine. I think it's fine if you like the show, but when you have real "complex interwoven storyline" shows out there, I don't think it's fair to include this in that criteria. It's light entertainment, a mindless 15 minutes; just admit that it is what it is.