Win 8 + skype HUGE ISSUE!

Ok, so my little bro got a new lappy with windows 8. For the first two hours i spent with him just browing on it it all went fine. I've never touched win 8 before so i knew nothing aswell. We tried out different things like keybinds and shortcuts aswell as updating drivers etc.

Then we got to the part where we download the shit he wants. Most important: Google Chrome, Skype and League of legends. LoL and chrome download flawlessly. Skype, which was already installed seemed to not work. No biggie, just remove and download again, right? Now this is where the problems start.

When he tried to download skype for Win 8 it wanted him to open some confirmation email which was sent to his email. No problem, except he wrote the wrong email, one which didnt even exist. So he doesn't have acces to the email that this confirmation email has been sent to. Shit, but we can change the email its supposed to be sent to it seems from what i can read on that exact same page.

So we make a new email to be used for this and make sure to double check the name and code (even wrote it down) and then we proceed to just press continue as we follow microsofts instructions. Then we are finaly asked to make a new alias, essentially a whole new fucking email to connect with this one... Ok ok, we do so, and press continue. Now we've logged in to these two, and nothing else. Just nothing. We've just followed all of microsofts instructions and fucking nothing happened.

I make sure to write down codes and names correctly here, double checking of course.

Then i go and try to download skype again, and it still wants to use the email which isn't in our possesion. There is still an option to change the email which the fucking email is sent to, (exact same thing as we've just done) so we try it again. It makes us log on the email(s) we've just created, and once we've done so, NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS!!!!! There is abse-fucking-lutely no help to get from the website.
    It may be because im exhausted and its late, but i just cant fucking see how we're supposed to move on from this point.

Im completely lost. Win 8 had given me a good impression from the start, but if this is the kind of problems i could run into because of microsofts shit not working, im gonna slaughter a litter of kittens every full moon.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-04-21 at 10:46 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Skype for Desktop, is exactly the same on Win 8 and Win 7. This is not an OS problem, this is a user fail.

Go here from Desktop IE or Chrome or FF:
    http://www.skype.com/en/download-sky...-for-computer/

Create a new Skype account with a working email.

Run the installer, open skype, input new account, done.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

This doesn't sound like a windows 8 problem, except maybe that the preinstalled skype didn't work. It sounds like a mix between skype having useless support and your brother's incompetence at typing in his email the first time.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

The problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

Comments like these are COMPLETELY unnecessary. If you don't aim to help, don't post. Consider this a warning.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-04-22 at 12:48 AM.
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilesmagno View Post
    The problem is between the chair and the keyboard.
    probably, and as i said, im exhausted and tired, so i probably cant see what im doing wrong to help him, but the support/guide/instructions we get leads NOWHERE.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    im not sure i understand the problem, what confirmation email? you sure you got the right software?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    im not sure i understand the problem, what confirmation email? you sure you got the right software?
    The way I figure it, his Brother probably set up Windows 8 to use his email as log in, like I have my outlook account do, then he downloaded Skype for Windows 8, the Metro version, not the Desktop version, which then wanted the email he uses for Windows. Like a mobile setup.

So all he really needs to do is get skype for desktop, which I linked above, run it, and sign in with a working account.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    just sign in with the skype account, you don't have to link it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    The way I figure it, his Brother probably set up Windows 8 to use his email as log in, like I have my outlook account do, then he downloaded Skype for Windows 8, the Metro version, not the Desktop version, which then wanted the email he uses for Windows. Like a mobile setup.

So all he really needs to do is get skype for desktop, which I linked above, run it, and sign in with a working account.
    This basically. Skype now comes in two versions:
    - The "classic" version you are used to from previous windows version. Use this one if you're not on a Touchscreen and don't use Metro too much.
    - The "Windows 8 App-Style" version, which uses the new Metro surface. Personally, I see no reason to use this version on a PC/Notebook, because I wouldn't want to use Metro all that much on such hardware. Metro is simply not designed for that, it's designed for Touchscreens.

So you gotta first decide which version you want to use (both work on Windows 8) and download accordingly. If you simply visit the Skype homepage from your browser on a Windows 8 machine tho, Skype will offer you the App-version per default. So be aware of that and navigate accordingly (or use the link provided by the users here).

After installing the classic version of Skype everything (and really everything) works like on any older Windows version. You start up the client, log in with your Skype account and are good to go.

If by any chance you installed the new App-version of Skype (and want to keep using that), please tell us so. And in this case we also need to know whether you set up your Win 8 PC with a local user account or with a windows live account (easy way to tell: Are you logging in with a simple username, or with an e-mail-adress as your username?). It sounded like you did the last one, because that's the only scenario in which confirmation e-mails could be involved at all.

Windows 8 isn't really all that different regarding the inner workings and logic behind it. Only the way of navigating around changed a bit and shortcuts got more important for the normal user.