Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

CISPA gains some last minute support.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-million.shtml
    http://www.dailytech.com/After+84M+U...ticle30389.htm
    What is CISPA and why should you care?

CISPA was knocked down last April, but has resurfaced and passed the house. It's becoming more and more apparent that the law makers are those with the money, not the people. One can only hope the white house keeps its promise to veto, and is not pushed back through veto-proofed.

And people still wonder why accumulation of wealth is seen as bad.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-04-23 at 04:14 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really an issue; Obama has already said he will veto it if it passes the Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Republican controlled house, takes money to make laws...is this actually a surprise to people?

and yeah what Diddy said.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

overall a total dead silence from the groups that claim they care about your rights. CISPA and ACTA etc etc are all terrible for the people but great for greedy businesses.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not really an issue; Obama has already said he will veto it if it passes the Senate.
    Here's to hoping that Obama keeps his word, and the house doesn't gain a veto-proof majority on it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I hate it, but it appears we're fighting a losing battle. At some point something like this is going to pass here in the States, it's just a matter of time. Corporations WILL eventually get their way, they just will keep dumping wheelbarrows of money in front of our officials until they capitulate.

Once that happens, I have a feeling it'll have a ripple effect around the globe, as we hardly have a monopoly on purchasable officials.

Depressing to think about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Here's to hoping that Obama keeps his word, and the house doesn't gain a veto-proof majority on it.
    It would need a two-thirds majority in the Senate as well to override it; fat chance in hell, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^THIS. #Sneakers #Hackers #Anonymous

#FlightIsImportant

15+ Year Old Account
    It would need a two-thirds majority in the Senate as well to override it; fat chance in hell, really.
    288 - 127 is frighteningly close to a 2/3 majority, especially considering major corporations basically just bought 52 votes. But it doesn't look like the senate is in as much support of it. Still, they're sinking a lot of money into seeing CISPA pass this time.

Boehner finally decides to pull his head out of his ass and do something, and this is what he does.

Because Obama has been known for not backing down heh....
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Hahah, do you really believe in Obama?

They'd also need a veto-proof Senate. Good luck with that.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Boehner finally decides to pull his head out of his ass and do something, and this is what he does.
    What else would you expect from Agent Orange?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    They'd also need a veto-proof Senate. Good luck with that.
    Yeah. If 60% or more passes CISPA, Obama's Veto threats will be nothing since that automatically bypasses his approval.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    Hahah, do you really believe in Obama?
    That depends on what you mean by "believe in" I think there's a President named Obama, yes. But the "hope & change Obama" or "liberal Obama"? Yeah, that guy's slightly less real than the Tooth Fairy.

A big thing that people who think along the lines of "who cares if goverment can get all the info easily from the companies, I have nothing to hide!" don't seem to understand that CISPA would also give legal right for private companies to trade info between each others aswell.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    288 - 127 is frighteningly close to a 2/3 majority, especially considering major corporations basically just bought 52 votes. But it doesn't look like the senate is in as much support of it. Still, they're sinking a lot of money into seeing CISPA pass this time.
    i thought senate was 100 old folks with some exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by SaburoDaimando View Post
    Yeah. If 60% or more passes CISPA, Obama's Veto threats will be nothing since that automatically bypasses his approval.
    I thought it was 2/3 for a veto override.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    That depends on what you mean by "believe in" I think there's a President named Obama, yes. But the "hope & change Obama" or "liberal Obama"? Yeah, that guy's slightly less real than the Tooth Fairy.
    Perhaps I should've used the word "trust" instead...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaburoDaimando View Post
    No. It's not automatic.

If he vetos it, it goes back to Congress, who can have another vote, which if they get the supermajority, will override it.

If he does veto it against a just-barely supermajority, they're likely to lose enough support from senate Democrats (who don't want an intraparty conflict) to fail to override the veto.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters