Thread: Weight Loss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    935
    my weight was around 286 lbs and i've lost 130 lbs over the course of ~2 years. - i stopped trying to lose weight after 1 1/2 years but i still did.

    i didnt do any kind of sport, i just watched what i was eating. writing it down also helped . i dont know how much calories i was usually eating but i went down to ~1200-1500 calories a day. now i'm trying to stay at 1700 but its really hard to eat so much lol

  2. #22
    Bloodsail Admiral Maythael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atheist Socialist Sweden (ASS)
    Posts
    1,009
    I just eat bacon, eggs, cream, butter (real) and very fatty stuff, no pasta or other carbs. Eat plenty of vegetables instead of pasta. I wonder why people are so afraid of fat. It makes you feel full and at the end of the day you eat less. I eat two times per day. Also, my belly feels so calm.

    My cholesterol is lower than before, all the blood levels are perfect. I've lost 60 kilos. No exercise at all. Seriously, try lchf. No "plans", no calorie restriction and no artificial stuff.
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/

  3. #23
    It's hard for me to reach my set 1700 calories a day and I eat a lot of stuff have a lot of eggs and protein etc a day and i'm never hungry only gone over 1700 once since I started changing my eating, every now and then when I had takeaways because it was a special occasion or cheat day w/e I still wouldnt go over, idk just most of the stuff in my house fills me up and dosnt cost that many calories.

  4. #24

  5. #25
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,559
    I just started eating almost nothing but natural meats LOL..Lost weight like madman and my bloodwork improved greatly.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpnova View Post
    2800 is a huge BMR.
    For a male its not that high at all... using any basic BMR calculator for an individual of 250lb and say 5'7 would be 2300 calories BUT that BMR is what the body would burn if they stayed in bed all day.....

    If you actually knew how to use a BMR calculator you would know how to factor in how much more you would need due to physical activities and daily tasks from jobs depending if its physical labor or sitting at a desk etc.

  7. #27
    Loosing weight is very simple - eat heathly and exercise.

    I found that playing sports I really enjoy was the key to finding a consistent weight loss - I play squash and 6 aside football (both very high intensity interval type sports as you are constantly jogging then sprinting etc.) I found the going to the gym the most boring and soul destroying experience known to man, especially when going on your own - team sports are the way forward, the interaction and fun aspects were key for me.
    Xaenicael - Marauder - Legions of Lettow
    Xaenicael - Resto Shaman - Bronze Dragon Flight

  8. #28
    I was around 136kg (300lbs) after christmas and went down to around 120kg (264lbs) in 2 months or so.
    I've been slacking a bit lately so at the moment I'm like 117kg (258lbs) but I'm aiming to get down to around 105-110kg (231-242lbs) by June.

    Mainly just cut out most of the carbs out of my diet and started eating a lot of protein :P Add in a mix of weight-lifting and aerobic exercise around 4 times a week and you're good to go.

    The ideal weight of 105kg (231lbs) might sound quite high but I'm 196cm (6'5) tall ex-athlete with a big and broad build. I think the least I've ever weight as an adult was 99,5kg (219lbs) during the army when I was REALLY skinny and lost quite a bit of muscle-mass.

    My advice is not to try "too hard" so that your weight-loss doesnt feel too forced. Your aim is to change your lifestyle not to just lose weight and then go back to an unhealthy way of living.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpnova View Post
    Looks like a lot of people here have experienced a similar situation to mine. Though I don't think I read a single post that didn't contain at least one piece of misinformation.

    I had a lot of theories and systems (all invented by me) as I lost my weight and by the end, most of them had been heavily modified or proven completely wrong.

    I am 6'5" and started at 319.6 pounds. This weight gain occurred over a period of roughly 5 years. Up until then I had always been incredibly skinny and ate whatever I wanted. I've estimated that back in those days I would eat 5-10,000 calories a day. And my weight always seemed to stay right at about 174. I was really really skinny.

    I was still growing though and I'm sure that was a significant factor. Once I hit my adult height, the BMR was obviously reduced and the eatstyle to which I'd become accustomed translated to massive weight gains which I didn't really care about until I saw some photos of myself and was shocked at how fat I'd become.

    So I lost 100 pounds in seven months. I did this by suddenly cutting calories down to almost nothing (700 a day for the first couple months) Then upping it to around a 1000, then when I was shedding the last few dekapounds, I would up my daily calories by 100 per day each week that the weigh-in had me at a new dekapound milestone.

    I didn't exercise at all.

    I didn't follow any stupid diets. Just my own calorie logging and limiting. I didn't join any retarded clinics. Just me, my scale, and a spreadsheet.

    I didn't lose any muscle.

    There is nothing wrong with eating ridiculously low amounts of calories for as long as you want. Your body has plenty of fat to burn through and it will. People would tell me that I was eating an amount of food that would be dangerous for a small framed woman. Obviously they were wrong. I was as mentally alert as ever. (mentally alert for me is in the 5-6 s.d. range, so basically a level of intelligence and sharpness that no one on this website could even comprehend) I felt great physically. (i still feel great. more great now since I'm running like crazy (because i enjoy running. not for weight loss, though the calories burned do allow me to eat a little more) and lifting weights (not to lose weight or tone up like some f***** but simply because I like video games and getting stronger and bumping up the stats on what I can lift is fun for me. could care less how I look. I'm already good looking and married anyway)

    Even when I was 320 pounds I could go run a mile. It was tough and slow but I used to run marathons when I was a teenager and I think I was born to do it.

    Now of course I am running seriously again (fast and long distance) and am starting to be fairly comfortable with my weight. I eat around 1500 calories a day but sometimes I'll eat more.

    I never had any loose skin problems. And all stretch marks I got from the weight gain vanished seemingly overnight when I lost the weight. I think I got a bit lucky when it comes to the loose skin/stretch marks stuff.

    People will say they are fat because of genetics. This is bullshit. If you understand thermodynamics, you'll realize that the energy requirements can only be a fairly simple function of height, weight, gender, age, and that having a caloric deficit MUST result in overall weight loss.

    You'll frequently have glycogen stores (from underused muscles), water weight, and shit in your system. These will cause your weight to fluctuate tons and you'll whine and moan about it as I did, until you realize that you probably shouldn't weigh yourself more frequently than once a week.

    Another thing. It didn't matter WHAT I ate. All that mattered is that I kept precise count of calories consumed. There would be weeks where I'd eat nothing but junky fast food/candy/etc. And I felt just as great as I always did and lost just as much. It's just that if you want to have a Big Mac, that's two lean cuisine type meals down the drain for one small burger. Worth it? Not to me. But Taco Bell stuff? Worth it. Because those tacos aren't that many calories.

    So the "eat healthy" advice? nonsense
    "exercise" advice? nonsense (though if you want to have a snack, then go run off the same or more calories so you don't have to feel that shitty "wow that was not worth cheating" feeling)

    Just figure out what your basal rate is, force a deficit. And don't have those stupid "cheat meals" or "cheat days" because they will totally make your calories per day for the whole week come up above your BMR or close enough to it to halt losses.

    You'll get discouraged all the time. Sometimes for 2 or 3 weeks in a row. If you stick with it and maintain an average below your BMR, you'll lose it all. Don't forget that your BMR will decrease as you enter the dreaded "starvation mode" and as you become lighter.

    It's about willpower, which for me was a nonissue. I just quit eating a lot cold turkey one day and haven't looked back. And generally I'm not that great at sticking to things, so if I can do it... some of you might be able to. (I'm realizing as I say it that despite thinking that I'm not that great at sticking to things.. I'm probably a lot better at it than any of you.. so.. whatever. you still might as well give it a shot)

    tl;dr - I didn't exercise or watch what I ate. I only counted calories and I lost 100 pounds. I'm still losing and I'll continue to lose but I'm in great shape now and could outrun/outsprint/outtennis/outlift any of you. Or at least the vast majority.
    Please do not listen to anything this guy has to say. This is complete crap. You lived on 700 calories? That's so beyond dangerous it's not even funny. Science has stated 1200 calories is the minimum amount your body needs to sustain itself. Yeah sure, at 700 calories I'm not surprised you lost a ton of weight but it was the stupidest way possible to do it and extremely dangerous.

    Yes, you are right, if you want to lose weight it's calories in versus calories out. There was a science professor who did a study where he only ate snickers bars for several weeks. Because he was in a calorie deficit he was losing weight. So yes, you can lose weight as long as you burn more calories than you eat. That doesn't mean it's good for you.

    So again I urge anyone in this thread to disregard this user because their advice will hurt you and is very dangerous.

  10. #30
    Well it worked for me and had absolutely no adverse effects. I think that for a short period (2-3 months) very low calorie diets are reasonable.

    So I urge everyone to listen to me and disregard what NightZero88 said.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-25 at 05:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Souichirou View Post
    For a male its not that high at all... using any basic BMR calculator for an individual of 250lb and say 5'7 would be 2300 calories BUT that BMR is what the body would burn if they stayed in bed all day.....

    If you actually knew how to use a BMR calculator you would know how to factor in how much more you would need due to physical activities and daily tasks from jobs depending if its physical labor or sitting at a desk etc.
    Thanks for the implication that I don't know how to use a BMR calculator lol!

    Truth is I know very well and that was an insulting assumption on your part!

    The difference between a 2300 and 2800 BMR is huge so my original statement stands. And let me be honest with you right now *swipes everything off the table and leans across to stare you in the face from mere inches with the most aggressive stare you've ever seen, causing you to tremble in fear* My original statement not only stands, but gleams with truth.

    Lol.

    I'm aware the BMR is sedentary. But the difference between sedentary BMR and BMR+activity is generally less than the difference between 2300 and 2800, which is 500. (see I'm assuming you can't subtract 2300 from 2800. insulting right? or maybe not lol)
    Last edited by sharpnova; 2013-04-25 at 05:47 PM.

  11. #31
    Excuse me sir but are you honestly saying that you went 2-3 months with 700 kcal's and stating that you didn't lose any muscle mass?

  12. #32
    Try to cut excess sugars and limit snacks as much as is reasonable. Try to fit in a walk every day, it doesnt have to be for hours or many miles. Even a half hour or a mile a day will be a good start. The biggest thing that helped me was not beating myself up if I had a bad day with eating or not making it to the gym. Tomorrow is a great day to get back at it. Don't define yourself by your weight.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpnova View Post
    Well it worked for me and had absolutely no adverse effects. I think that for a short period (2-3 months) very low calorie diets are reasonable.

    So I urge everyone to listen to me and disregard what NightZero88 said.
    I was trying to find a scientific study but was not able too so I'll just leave you this instead.

    Your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is the minimum number of calories your body needs to support its basic physiologic functions including breathing, circulating blood, digestion and all of the numerous biochemical reactions required to keep you alive. Your RMR is generally 60-75% of your total daily caloric expenditure. [Source: http://www.amherstphysicaltherapy.com/fitness.html]

    For me at 5'10, 160 pounds my RMR is 1734 calories for my body to function.

    Now, moving on further I used that site and for a 20 year old 5'0" 100 pound female, their RMR is 1278 calories.

    So you, as a male ate 500 calories less than the required number of calories to keep a 20 year 100 pound female alive per day everyday for 7 months and you're telling me that I'm wrong? Seriously, you're going to hurt yourself and others. Just stop talking.
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2013-04-25 at 07:50 PM.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpnova View Post
    Looks like a lot of people here have experienced a similar situation to mine. Though I don't think I read a single post that didn't contain at least one piece of misinformation.

    I had a lot of theories and systems (all invented by me) as I lost my weight and by the end, most of them had been heavily modified or proven completely wrong.

    I am 6'5" and started at 319.6 pounds. This weight gain occurred over a period of roughly 5 years. Up until then I had always been incredibly skinny and ate whatever I wanted. I've estimated that back in those days I would eat 5-10,000 calories a day. And my weight always seemed to stay right at about 174. I was really really skinny.

    I was still growing though and I'm sure that was a significant factor. Once I hit my adult height, the BMR was obviously reduced and the eatstyle to which I'd become accustomed translated to massive weight gains which I didn't really care about until I saw some photos of myself and was shocked at how fat I'd become.

    So I lost 100 pounds in seven months. I did this by suddenly cutting calories down to almost nothing (700 a day for the first couple months) Then upping it to around a 1000, then when I was shedding the last few dekapounds, I would up my daily calories by 100 per day each week that the weigh-in had me at a new dekapound milestone.

    I didn't exercise at all.

    I didn't follow any stupid diets. Just my own calorie logging and limiting. I didn't join any retarded clinics. Just me, my scale, and a spreadsheet.

    I didn't lose any muscle.

    There is nothing wrong with eating ridiculously low amounts of calories for as long as you want. Your body has plenty of fat to burn through and it will. People would tell me that I was eating an amount of food that would be dangerous for a small framed woman. Obviously they were wrong. I was as mentally alert as ever. (mentally alert for me is in the 5-6 s.d. range, so basically a level of intelligence and sharpness that no one on this website could even comprehend) I felt great physically. (i still feel great. more great now since I'm running like crazy (because i enjoy running. not for weight loss, though the calories burned do allow me to eat a little more) and lifting weights (not to lose weight or tone up like some f***** but simply because I like video games and getting stronger and bumping up the stats on what I can lift is fun for me. could care less how I look. I'm already good looking and married anyway)

    Even when I was 320 pounds I could go run a mile. It was tough and slow but I used to run marathons when I was a teenager and I think I was born to do it.

    Now of course I am running seriously again (fast and long distance) and am starting to be fairly comfortable with my weight. I eat around 1500 calories a day but sometimes I'll eat more.

    I never had any loose skin problems. And all stretch marks I got from the weight gain vanished seemingly overnight when I lost the weight. I think I got a bit lucky when it comes to the loose skin/stretch marks stuff.

    People will say they are fat because of genetics. This is bullshit. If you understand thermodynamics, you'll realize that the energy requirements can only be a fairly simple function of height, weight, gender, age, and that having a caloric deficit MUST result in overall weight loss.

    You'll frequently have glycogen stores (from underused muscles), water weight, and shit in your system. These will cause your weight to fluctuate tons and you'll whine and moan about it as I did, until you realize that you probably shouldn't weigh yourself more frequently than once a week.

    Another thing. It didn't matter WHAT I ate. All that mattered is that I kept precise count of calories consumed. There would be weeks where I'd eat nothing but junky fast food/candy/etc. And I felt just as great as I always did and lost just as much. It's just that if you want to have a Big Mac, that's two lean cuisine type meals down the drain for one small burger. Worth it? Not to me. But Taco Bell stuff? Worth it. Because those tacos aren't that many calories.

    So the "eat healthy" advice? nonsense
    "exercise" advice? nonsense (though if you want to have a snack, then go run off the same or more calories so you don't have to feel that shitty "wow that was not worth cheating" feeling)

    Just figure out what your basal rate is, force a deficit. And don't have those stupid "cheat meals" or "cheat days" because they will totally make your calories per day for the whole week come up above your BMR or close enough to it to halt losses.

    You'll get discouraged all the time. Sometimes for 2 or 3 weeks in a row. If you stick with it and maintain an average below your BMR, you'll lose it all. Don't forget that your BMR will decrease as you enter the dreaded "starvation mode" and as you become lighter.

    It's about willpower, which for me was a nonissue. I just quit eating a lot cold turkey one day and haven't looked back. And generally I'm not that great at sticking to things, so if I can do it... some of you might be able to. (I'm realizing as I say it that despite thinking that I'm not that great at sticking to things.. I'm probably a lot better at it than any of you.. so.. whatever. you still might as well give it a shot)

    tl;dr - I didn't exercise or watch what I ate. I only counted calories and I lost 100 pounds. I'm still losing and I'll continue to lose but I'm in great shape now and could outrun/outsprint/outtennis/outlift any of you. Or at least the vast majority.
    You were 6'5'' at 319 pounds. That's a BMI of 37.8 (according to http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/...MI/bmicalc.htm). That 700/cal day diet is a mock VLCD - so please stop advocating it. VLCD are diets for the obese which should be done ONLY UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A PHYSICIAN and usually last 12-16 weeks and not for "as long as you want" (can be longer for type 2 dia patients I think) . They are highly monitored and controlled liquid diets that pretty much contain necessary daily macros.

    The fact that this low calorie diet is only strictly administered to those who are obese by physicians (32+ BMI?) is a sure-sign that no one should attempt it on their own.

    I am amazed that you have no health complications as a result, seeing as you were eating such few cals, no exercise, and seemed to ignore macros completely.

    And you lost muscle.
    Last edited by Lockstatus; 2013-04-28 at 02:48 AM.

  15. #35
    I can't say for certain that I didn't lose muscle. But now at my current weight, I am lifting weights and I'm lifting as much as I ever did before. I run a lot.. and I'm running as well as I ever did before. (not quite as fast since i'm heavier than I used to be)

    I simply don't agree with the general statements about vlcd's being dangerous and requiring the oversight of a physician. It's hard for me to imagine that a physician knows much of anything worth listening to. That goes for most doctors to be honest.

    I did ignore the macros. HOWEVER it turned out, in hindsight, that the meals I was eating (mostly lean cuisine/healthy choice type stuff since it's very non-dense (filling for its caloric content)) had a good distribution of protein/fat/carb %'s. So maybe I got lucky that I didn't actually eat like a retard during this phase of the diet.

    I'm currently eating around 1500-2000 a day and still losing. All the running and lifting is making it harder to not be hungry.

    But I don't think I lost much muscle mass. I think if your body has a shitton of fat to shed, it will shed that first.

  16. #36
    Go vegan and you can stuff your face and you won't even need to work out and you will lose weight fast.

  17. #37
    How is that exactly? Weight loss is about calories. You can overeat as a vegan as easily as you can as a normal intelligent person that eats meat, like we evolved to.

  18. #38
    Treadmill + TV + netflix = 1st world weightloss.

    I eat whatever I want, just stay active and you can keep off weight.

    Of Course I don't care much about building muscle.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-04-28 at 06:27 AM.

    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

  19. #39
    Here's a little secret to losing weight that my bodybuilding friend told me that got me into third place in men's physique.

    This includes the "Good diet" obviously (low to no carbs, no fat food, no sugar).

    The workout is going on the treadmill, put it to highest incline (if its an incline treadmill set it to 15). Keep the speed to a brisk pace that keeps your heart running. Do it for 30-45 minutes. This may sound easy peasy but trust me. It works.

    Edit: the treadmill is post-workout. everyday. And i forgot to add that you run for 15-30 min in the morning when u wake up before you eat breakfast. But make sure to eat afterwards
    Last edited by TidesOfBlood; 2013-04-28 at 06:37 AM.

  20. #40
    I ran 7 miles this morning barely breaking a sweat. (just when women or weird body types with idiotic strides (like i expect most of you to look like) came whizzing by me and I was forced to push it to burn them)

    The result is I could eat 1000 more calories today (maybe around 3500 total) if I wanted to. What did I end up eating? After these cookies it'll be about 1600.

    I just can't help it. I don't eat that much and food isn't that big a deal to me. Doesn't rule my life like most dieters. Sometimes I don't really get why I ever gained weight in the first place. Probably because I have a man's height (again something I expect not to see in the majority of people here) and so I needed to eat so much when I was a kid and when the height leveled out, my eating habits didn't change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •