Poll: Should the police have been called?

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Odd... I've made my opinions known about rules before (going along with the punishment, of course) and came out fine. The trick is to be calm about the damn thing.
    Not being disciplined for speaking your mind doesn't mean they don't have the potential to. You already have limited rights as a minor, you surrender even more on a school campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    Question is why was the police called at all? If he refused to remove it they should of had him sit in waiting area of the office called his parents and have him wait there till they came to get him.
    When I was in school, we had a full-time deputy on campus. Police weren't "called" but he was active in normal campus discipline, writing tickets for petty offenses like loitering and truancy and possession of cigarettes, etc.

/had to go to court once for ditching

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Technically if you don't abide by school policies, you need to leave. The student wasn't doing so.
    In my school if you refused to abide by the dress code and didn't change you were asked to leave.
    They can't tell a kid on the spot to leave especially when they are under age, they have to call his parents.

They can't tell a kid on the spot to leave especially when they are under age, they have to call his parents.
    Semantics, but accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggayshammy View Post
    Only in my state... So glad I live in a not so redneck part of WV
    :O What part of WV ya from? I'm from Charleston, one of the few not-too-redneck parts (I know that article says Charleston, but for people not from here Logan Middle School is not in Charleston)

OT: I'm pretty positive that there is more to this story. I doubt he remained super calm after being asked to remove the shirt if the police were called.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, most of the American population owns a gun. And yet a kid wearing a SHIRT gets charged?

Honestly, each and every single post like this one works against America's motto "land of the free"...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    And why do schools have a stance on guns why do they have the stance that guns are obscene ? we send our kids to be educated not propagandized by one sides beliefs
    I really don't think you are going to convince anyone the schools are bad guys because they don't want students to promote guns or gun violence. It probably is similar to their stance on drugs and alcohol and how they have banned those materials and anything promoting them.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Charges can't be made against a minor without his parents present. This is complete and utter horse shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    When I was in school, we had a full-time deputy on campus. Police weren't "called" but he was active in normal campus discipline, writing tickets for petty offenses like loitering and truancy and possession of cigarettes, etc.

/had to go to court once for ditching
    We had security at mine and police were only called for drugs, booze, etc. Not for something like this lol.

I bet next year that school will have uniforms or add that pictures, words, etc related to weapons are not allowed to their current policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Charges can't be made against a minor without his parents present. This is complete and utter horse shit.
    Um, a kid can be arrested without his parents present, it happens all the time; he just cannot be interrogated.

This is not true at all. Police can make an arrest and take a kid into custody, and even press charges, they simply cannot question a minor without parents/guardians present. If a minor commits a crime by himself in front of police, the kid can be arrested and charged without his parents there. They just have to call his parents to their best efforts once in custody.

Most of the schools in my area have always had a "no guns, drugs, profanity" on clothing policy. I was also "arrested" for telling a teacher to fuck off.

We had security at mine and police were only called for drugs, booze, etc. Not for something like this lol.

I bet next year that school will have uniforms or add that pictures, words, etc related to weapons are not allowed to their current policy.
    Must have been a pretty posh school, where I grew up we had "student resource officers" (read: cops) all over the place, they were present for pretty much every petty disciplinary dispute even if it was just to oversee and not interact, if you got lippy with the staff they wouldn't think twice about taking you down to sit by yourself in a room until your parents could come and claim you.

As for the dress code, I have never seen a school dress code in my life that didn't have a caveat about appropriate schoolwear being left to the faculties discretion, meaning even if it doesn't specifically say no depictions of weapons the staff can still decide your attire is inappropriate for whatever arbitrary reason.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    I really don't think you are going to convince anyone the schools are bad guys because they don't want students to promote guns or gun violence. It probably is similar to their stance on drugs and alcohol and how they have banned those materials and anything promoting them.
    he was promoting the 2nd amendment which in turn does not equate to promoting gun violence

They can at a school, really need to read the fine print on those registration forms.

he was promoting the 2nd amendment which in turn does not equate to promoting gun violence
    Guns or gun violence. Might not be promoting the violence part, but every school I've ever gone to wouldn't let you promote guns either, the violent part didn't matter.

Where did I say he was promoting gun violence?

He was promoting the NRA, do not confuse that with the 2nd amendment.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Guns or gun violence. Might not be promoting the violence part, but every school I've ever gone to wouldn't let you promote guns either, the violent part didn't matter.
    Same for me in every school I have ever gone to, and that includes the Department of Defense schools.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    Promoting guns is NOT promoting gun violence.

A part of me is sickened, a part of me understands. Schools have gone completely over board with safety. Picking up the kiddo almost feels like entering a county jail. Anything remotely gun related is now a no no. Remember the story of the girl who told a fellow that she was going to shoot her with her bubble gun? She got a 5 day suspension, and she was 7ish?

I always find it amusing when people "exercise" their rights in the wrong manner, and wind up putting their foot in their mouth. My brother in law does this kind of stuff all the time when he gets involved with the police, he will scream and get aggressive acting like he has a first amendment right to do and say whatever he wants, then the cops try to arrest him and he resists or fights back, and he gets charged with resisting and other stuff.

There is a time and a place to exercise your rights. On the side of the road in the dark, or while in a school, are not among them.

Sure, the teacher probably over reacted, and the police didn't need to be called, but the school has the final say as to what clothing is a distraction or inappropriate. The whole thing could have been avoided by just turning the shirt inside out, and the student swallowing his pride and realizing that the first amendment doesn't universally protect all speech all the time.